Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #15481
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Do you have a new one. Do that before you try any thing. When metric hex holes get buggered out I ussualy find that the next size up SAE/fractional size hex wrench will fit. You typically will need to tap it in with a hammer, and it will hold enough to get the bolt off.

Another thing would be to drill two small holes and use a pin spanner to remove. This might be better done with the cover off though.
that's what i ended up doing but the crappy pin spanner i have (harbor freight angle grinder ) wanted to bend right away, then i ran out of time and had to come to work. i sank 2 holes in but not through the cover and tomorrow i'll try to make a pin spanner with a bar of steel and some bolts. i just wanted to make sure mine was not a crazy idea, drilling into the case. and, yes, i do have a new plug already.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #15482
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
Try pounding in a SAE hex key. This is my Go-To method. Works %80 of the time for me.

If you have a hole already you might be able to screw it by taping one of the holes with a punch.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #15483
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
DO NOT! Repeat: DO NOT pound in a hex key - or anything else for that matter. You will knock the middle out of the cover. DAMHIK

Put some grinding paste on a hex key so it gets more bite. You might also want to grind the tip off a hex key so it is not rounded on the very end (which should also give more bite).

Best of all don't take the cover off. Put the bike in gear and use the rear wheel to turn the engine over.

Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:42 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #15484
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
DO NOT! Repeat: DO NOT pound in a hex key - or anything else for that matter. You will knock the middle out of the cover. DAMHIK

Put some grinding paste on a hex key so it gets more bite. You might also want to grind the tip off a hex key so it is not rounded on the very end (which should also give more bite).

Best of all don't take the cover off. Put the bike in gear and use the rear wheel to turn the engine over.
i decided to change out the cover because it was already damaged when i bought it and if i ever needed to get in there it would be while i was out in the middle of death valley. good tip about spinning the rear tire, i'll be using that method for sure.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #15485
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 3,970
New DR350 owner, checking in...

Well, new as of 12/31/12, bought from an inmate, LostAussie. He was nice enough to hold it for me for a few weeks while I was back in New England for Christmas. 1994 SER, e-start, with only 8700 easy miles on her. Engine cases didn't even have a scratch on her It has a 2003 RM250 front-end (I know, they say it was the worst suspension year), but will eventually valve it correctly, but the few times I've taken it out, feels like the bike I've been looking for.

I borrowed a '96/'97(?) last year for a few rides, and really liked it:

Labor Day solo fishing trip:

Jekyll & Hyde:

Now, I have my own!

Did I mention the engine was spotless?

I've only added a few things to make it more DS-compatable. Folding mirrors, wired up 2 12v cups to charge phone/run GPS, grip-heaters, 3-wire turn signals, and attached my old F-series windscreen from my SV to the front plate, and Sheerboy gave me a comfy Corbin seat for long rides. New front brake pads, new chain, RM front fender, beefy skid-plate, and a set of kenda 270's complete the serious off-road upgrades.

I'm ready to ride, if it would only stop snowing!
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #15486
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,432
What was the last year for the DR350SE In the US ?

Are there any years more desirable than others ?

TIA
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #15487
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post

TIA
I'm new to the DR350 scene
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #15488
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 563
Quote:

TIA
1999 was the last year. As far as desirable 1996 and up seem to be sought after but not sure which is the most desirable. I have a 1996 and it is amazing.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #15489
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:

TIA
1998 and 1999 SE's have the dirt suspension.....thus the most desirable.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #15490
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
Tire balance

So I finally got my bike on the road and took it down the highway and around 55 you can tell the rear tire was way out of balance. I took it in to get balanced and it took a TON of weight to counter balance the rim lock. Anyone run into this problem? Since I will be using it prob 75% for the street is there any kits available to block of the hole from the rim lock on the rim? Or possibly anyone try going to a light weight one?
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #15491
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
i decided to change out the cover because it was already damaged when i bought it and if i ever needed to get in there it would be while i was out in the middle of death valley. good tip about spinning the rear tire, i'll be using that method for sure.
Another option would be a hammer and chisel? Use the chisel to grab the very outter edge of the round plug and then pound it in the Counter-Clockwise direction...thus breaking the cap loose.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #15492
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmderyke View Post
So I finally got my bike on the road and took it down the highway and around 55 you can tell the rear tire was way out of balance. I took it in to get balanced and it took a TON of weight to counter balance the rim lock. Anyone run into this problem? Since I will be using it prob 75% for the street is there any kits available to block of the hole from the rim lock on the rim? Or possibly anyone try going to a light weight one?
I had the same problem. I pulled the rim locks and it made a huge difference! From what ive learned here, if you don't ride really aggressive with aired down tires then they're not really necessary.

I haven't plugged the hole yet but will come up with something when I put my new tires on. There may even be an OEM solution, I just haven't looked yet.

Pull em and you'll be happy!

Update: if you want the OEM solution to plugging this hole - it's number 15 on the parts fiche for the 99 front wheel (part no. 09250-08013) and is less than $2.00.

FireDog45 screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 04:47 AM
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #15493
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Another option would be a hammer and chisel? Use the chisel to grab the very outter edge of the round plug and then pound it in the Counter-Clockwise direction...thus breaking the cap loose.
I had to do this to my old Strom when the PO tried to stop a small oil leak by tightening the crap out of the plug. If you have a new plug on hand then get the old one out by any means necessary. Just be careful that no shrapnel gets inside the case!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #15494
Motoswami
Motoswami

Oddometer: 67
stubborn center plug in alternator cover

I have always found applying a heat gun to the cover prio to buggering the hex socket to be helpful; then use anti-sieze compound on the threads before replacing the plug.

Pete
Motoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #15495
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoswami View Post
I have always found applying a heat gun to the cover prio to buggering the hex socket to be helpful; then use anti-sieze compound on the threads before replacing the plug.

Pete
last night i sprayed some penetrating oil on it when i got back from work and i'm about to go out and try the heat gun. i have a castle nut socket i'm going to employ for the task since the pin wrench i ordered won't be here until tuesday. i'll report back later.