Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #15796
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
No bike work today. Made wife's birthday present.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3226

2bold2getold screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 08:08 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #15797
Schneiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Alright so I'm getting set to sort out the electrical this weekend. My bike is a 1993 off road model, that someone converted to street legal, then someone else converted back to off road only. So it has had turn signals at some point, but now only has headlight and taillight (may or may not include brake light), but even they are disconnected.

Starts like this... 8 wires coming from the stator. These go to the CDI, but the only thing connected off the CDI is the on/off switch at the handlebar. There seems to be wiring for turn signals, headlight, taillight and brakelight still in place. But some cables are cut. There is a flasher relay too. Bike has a handlebar switch with high/lowbeam and turn signals. Then, there is a set of 4 cables that go into something under the seat. Then they go to something on the side of the bike. And my favorite part- two wires going to what appears to be a homemade battery.

Anyone want to give me some tips on what to look out for here? Does this look like someone swapped for a factory street model wiring, or is this an aftermarket kit? Or just homebrew? What's with the homemade battery, ever heard of that before? It's currently dead, but the bike does run. Just no lights were hooked up since I got the bike.

Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #15798
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Looks like the CDI/ignition system is pretty much original. All the lights and turn signals will work on AC with an AC regulator. It looks like it might have a dry cell battery pack with a rectifier/regulator. Could have been a kit, can't tell. Maybe someone else has seen this set up. To charge the battery( and to make the horn work good) it needs that rectifier/regulator.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #15799
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Petcock bolt spacing

Hey DR dudes & dudettes, I'm hoping someone might measure the bolt spacing on the stock DR350 petcock. I've got an Acerbis tank on my DR, so no dice for me here. I want to replace the petcock on a 1974 Kawi G3SS and my intuition says, for some reason, that a DR/Raptor petcock could work. The G3SS bolt spacing is 34mm.

Thanks, NE
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #15800
MarshkevUK
Alright Guv'na?

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbTiger View Post
Hey DR dudes & dudettes, I'm hoping someone might measure the bolt spacing on the stock DR350 petcock. I've got an Acerbis tank on my DR, so no dice for me here. I want to replace the petcock on a 1974 Kawi G3SS and my intuition says, for some reason, that a DR/Raptor petcock could work. The G3SS bolt spacing is 34mm.

Thanks, NE
Hi, if you're talking about the old oem petcock with the vacuum pipe on it the spacing on centers looks like 3.5 cm(35mm) or 1.377 inches (approximately 1''3/8th) so as my venier or eyes aren't great 34mm could be spot on!

cheers,

In England a 100 miles is a long way & in the US 100 years is a long time...
MarshkevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #15801
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Looks like the CDI/ignition system is pretty much original. All the lights and turn signals will work on AC with an AC regulator. It looks like it might have a dry cell battery pack with a rectifier/regulator. Could have been a kit, can't tell. Maybe someone else has seen this set up. To charge the battery( and to make the horn work good) it needs that rectifier/regulator.
That's all homebrew. I assume the little box behind the "battery" is some kind of rectifier. In addition to the output for the CDI the S stator has three yellow wires for charging output (3 phase AC). The off-road stator has only two (single phase AC). Bet those are capacitors in that "battery". That's how I run my kickstart S model. No battery... Just some big caps.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #15802
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
No bike work today. Made wife's birthday present.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3226
Neat stuff! :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #15803
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Oil consumption

My DR has a slight puff of smoke on start up and seems to be using oil at a concerning rate. 200+or- miles off road riding and its almost off the dip stick? The bike runs great any thoughts?

PS actual mileage on bike unknown previous owner didn't know. I've put 1000k miles on it since owning it. I think the bike has a 385 kit so its had motor work done.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #15804
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
My DR has a slight puff of smoke on start up and seems to be using oil at a concerning rate. 200+or- miles off road riding and its almost off the dip stick? The bike runs great any thoughts?

PS actual mileage on bike unknown previous owner didn't know. I've put 1000k miles on it since owning it. I think the bike has a 385 kit so its had motor work done.
To go from top to bottom on the dipstick is only a few ounces of oil. Personally I wouldn't worry about it - Just be sure to keep an eye on it.

No offence but are you sure you're checking it correctly - after it's just been run? If not, you could be overfilling it, which will cause it to use more oil.

Are there any leaks? It's hard to gauge how much you can lose to a leak - When the engine is hot and the oil is pumping it can sometimes drip out pretty quickly.

Once you've eliminated leaks or overfilling and if the consumption still bothers you, the fix might be as simple as a ring job or replacing valve-stem seals. My opinion: as long as it's running ok, keep your eye on it, top it up frequently and carry a small container of oil with you if you go any great distance.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #15805
Dirt4life
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Alright so I'm getting set to sort out the electrical this weekend. My bike is a 1993 off road model, that someone converted to street legal, then someone else converted back to off road only. So it has had turn signals at some point, but now only has headlight and taillight (may or may not include brake light), but even they are disconnected.

Starts like this... 8 wires coming from the stator. These go to the CDI, but the only thing connected off the CDI is the on/off switch at the handlebar. There seems to be wiring for turn signals, headlight, taillight and brakelight still in place. But some cables are cut. There is a flasher relay too. Bike has a handlebar switch with high/lowbeam and turn signals. Then, there is a set of 4 cables that go into something under the seat. Then they go to something on the side of the bike. And my favorite part- two wires going to what appears to be a homemade battery.

Anyone want to give me some tips on what to look out for here? Does this look like someone swapped for a factory street model wiring, or is this an aftermarket kit? Or just homebrew? What's with the homemade battery, ever heard of that before? It's currently dead, but the bike does run. Just no lights were hooked up since I got the bike.

That is a Baja Designs conversion kit from the mid 90"s. The same one I have on my 90 dirt model
Dirt4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #15806
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbTiger View Post

Thanks, NE
34mm
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #15807
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
OK, so I allowed the movers to move my bikes. Mistake number 1. I asked if they needed to be drained, and they said no, because I would be there on the other end to receive them.

Long story short I was not able to make it on time across the country, so they got put into temporary storage.

Upon inspection of my bikes, I found that they had pulled the fuel lines to drain the tanks. OK, no biggie. I go to change my oil last night to get ready to ride into work this morning on my DR and I smell fuel in the oil. I have never had this issue, and had changed the oil a few months ago and put very few miles on it since then.

Am I looking at a huge issue here? I put in new oil. Is it safe to ride around a little bit, then drain it again and see if it still smells of fuel, or do I need to be sending it in to have the top end looked at?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #15808
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
OK, so I allowed the movers to move my bikes. Mistake number 1. I asked if they needed to be drained, and they said no, because I would be there on the other end to receive them.

Long story short I was not able to make it on time across the country, so they got put into temporary storage.

Upon inspection of my bikes, I found that they had pulled the fuel lines to drain the tanks. OK, no biggie. I go to change my oil last night to get ready to ride into work this morning on my DR and I smell fuel in the oil. I have never had this issue, and had changed the oil a few months ago and put very few miles on it since then.

Am I looking at a huge issue here? I put in new oil. Is it safe to ride around a little bit, then drain it again and see if it still smells of fuel, or do I need to be sending it in to have the top end looked at?

Thanks in advance for any input.
i would flush it out with fresh oil, maybe twice, then carry on as usual. the top end should be fine.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #15809
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
Manual downloaded. Thank you Mr Bender.
Gentlemen, very good advice indeed. No need to open it up. No need for gaskets or timing chain. At least not for now.

We cleaned the engine, applied lots of white flour and started her up. Of course there was lots of smoke and the acrid smell of burning flour. The obvious culprit was the Plug(aka 'camshaft end cap'). So we took the top off and replaced the it. The inside looks OK, so we adjusted the valve clearance according to the manual - In 0.08mm Out 0.10mm. Applied a thin layer of liquid gasket, changed the O rings on the valve covers and put it back together. It ran fine. No visible leak or smoke. I'll run it for a few days to see if there are other leaks. Many thanks.
Your engine was stone cold when the valves were adjusted, I hope?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #15810
snowman650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Jackanory,thats the same carb I have on my 91 350s,single cable and all.