Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #16231
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
bump
I have an IMS tank but my dirt model petcock clears by a mile. I never realized how much further the vacuum one hangs down.

Maybe use this as an opportunity to ditch the vacuum petcock?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #16232
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
IMS Tank Petcock Touches Fins

Quote:
bump
I have a 97 DR with an IMS tank and what appears to be the same petcock as yours. It clears the fins by a finger width (pardon my use of complex measuring devices).

Is the rear tank mount correct? Could you shim it up a bit?

A friend had a problem similar to yours and solved it by trimming the fin.

OTOH I have an 15 year old Acerbis tank that has a MUCH shorter petcock. Unfortunately I couldn't see any useful markings on it.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #16233
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
I have an IMS tank but my dirt model petcock clears by a mile. I never realized how much further the vacuum one hangs down.

Maybe use this as an opportunity to ditch the vacuum petcock?
Yeah, if that's the stock vacuum petcock - and it interferes - you should move on.

The yamaha Raptor petcock is a good, cheap replacement. Here's spec off a DRZ thread:
Raptor 660 petcock, Yamaha part # 5LP-24500-01-00

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=17215

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #16234
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Yeah, if that's the stock vacuum petcock - and it interferes - you should move on.

The yamaha Raptor petcock is a good, cheap replacement. Here's spec off a DRZ thread:
Raptor 660 petcock, Yamaha part # 5LP-24500-01-00

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=17215
That is the petcock i am using...
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #16235
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiknmunky View Post
50mm sounds kinda long.Can you not cut some pvc pipe the same dia. as the spring, the length you want?
I agree 50mm would be huge. The late model (98, 99) forks do not have a preload spacer from the factory but it would be easy to add one. Perhaps your springs are fatigued. Anyway, I'd expect a 20mm spacer would make a big difference.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #16236
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
petcock

Quote:
That is the petcock i am using...
Not sure where I'd found it but it seems there is a long and a short version (below tank portion) of this petcock, probably lots when the bolt pattern is really all that matters. I'll look for it again and edit this post when (if) I find it.

Found it: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...m=1348097222/4

if that doesn't show, I just googled "shorter raptor petcock" and got the info from savage Suzuki forums

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 01:54 AM Reason: answer a question
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #16237
zuki926
over the hill

Oddometer: 52
DR350 bikes & bits

Hi guys - if you know anyone looking for a large assortment of DR350 bikes & parts please see my ad in the parts section of the flea market. I'll trade it all for a decent used bike - I have no time to work on these anymore. Thanks !!!!
zuki926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #16238
gladesteen
Padawan

Oddometer: 33
Tire Pressure recommendations?

When riding on street is it best to air up to the recommended 22psi?
I've done a search and seen everything from 8psi to "it doesnt matter how much".

I have pirelli tires and they say something like 35psi max, but with them being knobbies i am aired up to about 25psi.

Thanks!
Mark
gladesteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #16239
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 383
When I am on road I run 25psi, when I know I'll be on dirt all day 15-18psi to avoid pinch flats. YMMV
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #16240
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesteen View Post
When riding on street is it best to air up to the recommended 22psi?
I've done a search and seen everything from 8psi to "it doesnt matter how much".

I have pirelli tires and they say something like 35psi max, but with them being knobbies i am aired up to about 25psi.

Thanks!
Mark
Hi Mark,

Most of the time my tires are aired to 14 PSI front and 18 PSI rear. This takes me too and from dirt on the pavement and then I ride dirt without making any PSI changes. Sometimes I'll air down a bit from there, maybe to 12 front and 14 rear (it makes a difference). I ride too many rocks to go down to 8 PSI. I would have pinch flats like crazy.

When I do long days of pavement riding, I definitely pump them up to 22 or 25 PSI. The higher pressure provides less flex and less rolling resistance. This generates less heat and the tire runs cooler - lasting much longer.

Maximum tire pressure is the maximum given by the tire manufacturer. From the tire's perspective, you would certainly be safe running this pressure. The recommended pressure by Suzuki, however, is what the engineer believed was the best pressure across a variety of conditions. In general, it is safe to stick with the pressures Suzuki recommends. Of course, there are very legitimate reasons to experiment with pressures outside of that recommended by Suzuki.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #16241
gladesteen
Padawan

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi Mark,

Most of the time my tires are aired to 14 PSI front and 18 PSI rear. This takes me too and from dirt on the pavement and then I ride dirt without making any PSI changes. Sometimes I'll air down a bit from there, maybe to 12 front and 14 rear (it makes a difference). I ride too many rocks to go down to 8 PSI. I would have pinch flats like crazy.

When I do long days of pavement riding, I definitely pump them up to 22 or 25 PSI. The higher pressure provides less flex and less rolling resistance. This generates less heat and the tire runs cooler - lasting much longer.

Maximum tire pressure is the maximum given by the tire manufacturer. From the tire's perspective, you would certainly be safe running this pressure. The recommended pressure by Suzuki, however, is what the engineer believed was the best pressure across a variety of conditions. In general, it is safe to stick with the pressures Suzuki recommends. Of course, there are very legitimate reasons to experiment with pressures outside of that recommended by Suzuki.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Perfect....Thank you both!

BTW - is there a general maintenance 'how to' anywhere that someone can point me to? I have a manual, but i don't even know the correct steps for say......fixing a flat! I'm extremely new to bikes in general. The last bike i rode was a 1974 honda trials 100cc .....and that was in early 80's!

Thanks guys! Fantastic site and excellent helpers here!

-Mark
gladesteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #16242
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuki926 View Post
Hi guys - if you know anyone looking for a large assortment of DR350 bikes & parts please see my ad in the parts section of the flea market. I'll trade it all for a decent used bike - I have no time to work on these anymore. Thanks !!!!
when your ready to sell parts let me know. i want the frame guards and maybe a muffler! lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #16243
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Factory muffler!

looking for a factory muffler that i can mod. if any of yinz got one to part with let me know please! thanks boys!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #16244
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Hi

fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #16245
Tork
Pinsetter