Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #16366
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvLars View Post
Anyway, while I'm posting... Anyone know a good spot to find some passenger pegs? Or maybe have an old pair kicking around the garage?
Let me take a look in my parts stash. I had a few sets but not sure if I still have some.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #16367
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
same dilemma here.. either that or replace fuel lines once in a while. how long did your fuel line last?
I have one full season on the bike, but I suspect the line is several years old. It's a 1990 model with ~9,000 miles on it.
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #16368
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Well, here's my new DR350:

1990, dirt version, with a dual sport loom that needs a little attention. Paid $775 for it. Came with a clean street title. Looks like it's been used a bit in her days, run hard and put away wet. But, it starts easy and had a recent dealer maintenance including valve check, new air filter and brake pads. The PPO rattlecanned the gas tank and it's bubbling pretty bad. Is that the stock tank?

It runs great, idles strong, but there is a little backfiring on decel. Is that normal? What might be the problem? I know there's old gas in it and it hasn't really been run since last season. I wonder if the backfiring will decrease after a good run through.

All in all, I'm fairly certain this is going to be a great "first" dirtbike/dual sport.
LoopGaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #16369
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

this is probably a better pic:
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #16370
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Let me take a look in my parts stash. I had a few sets but not sure if I still have some.
Let me know if u have a couple I'd like a set too! Otherwise I'm gonna fabricate some up.

Anyone know the width of the rear rim lock? I'm gonna buy an after market one but there are three different sizes....
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #16371
AdvLars
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post

It runs great, idles strong, but there is a little backfiring on decel. Is that normal? What might be the problem? I know there's old gas in it and it hasn't really been run since last season. I wonder if the backfiring will decrease after a good run through.
[/FONT]
Mine popped like crazy on decel when I bought it. Usually means youre running lean. I cleaned my carb well, got all the gunk out of the jets, played with the fuel screw and now the popping is totally gone (Though Im probably running a bit rich now). Your spark plug will have white sediment if youre running lean.

Another possible culprit could be an exhaust leak at the header from what I've read, but your carb probably needs a good bath anyway, so its a good starting point IMO
AdvLars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #16372
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:

great score
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #16373
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. In the last 10 years I've owned at least five plated dirt models in CA. Never an issue at the DMV.
i think we have had this talk before.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #16374
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Check the exhaust joints for leaks first. Easy. The head to engine and the header to muffler. There is some packing at the header/muffler joint that might have blown out over the years.

You are going to want to remove the kick stand and smash the pivot clevis back together. It spreads out over time and the kick stand is not rubbing your swing arm.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16375
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmderyke View Post
Let me know if u have a couple I'd like a set too! Otherwise I'm gonna fabricate some up.

Anyone know the width of the rear rim lock? I'm gonna buy an after market one but there are three different sizes....
Is is based on the size of your rim. It is stampped on the rim itself. Sorry can not remember what size it is. I always have to go wipe the dirt off and look.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #16376
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post

You are going to want to remove the kick stand and smash the pivot clevis back together. It spreads out over time and the kick stand is not rubbing your swing arm.
Good eye, thanks.

Any tips for removing the bubbling paint from the plastic tank? Are there plastic safe solvents, or should i just start sanding?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #16377
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
There is more but off the bat have him cold crank it. Make sure he didn't warm it up before you show up. Check air filter too see how well he maintained it. Leaks and tire wear. Obvious external engine damage. And mods. See if he has opened the air box or done the keintech exhaust. That would be good starting points.
Yep, yep, yep. All good things to check.

Generally speaking, I find the color of the brake fluid to be a good indicator of how well a machine was cared for. Clear = good. Darker = bad. Brake fluid flushes are one of the last things that people tend to do. But, they are quite important for long life of the master cylinder and brake caliper.

I just picked up a 1999 DR350 SE model with just over 12,000 miles on it. With regard to maintenance, it was largely ignored for the last 14 years. The original cylinder head retorque was never even done and I'm not sure the swing arm was ever greased. I'm pretty sure I've drained well in excess of 3 quarts of oil from the engine. Needless to say, the brake fluid was chocolate brown. Yuck.

But, the engine internals looks great, it runs well, and does not have near the wear and tear that my 1993 DR350 (dirt) model is showing.

I've been prepping it for a long upcoming trip and making great progress on it. With fresh grease, the swing arm is awesome. I changed out the lower shock mount bushing because I had a new one on hand, but it really didn't need it. The brakes flushed clean with just a little work. In short, these machines are pretty tough.

The best thing about the 1999 model I bought (other than the improved front suspension, DC electrics, and magic red button - not sure I'm hip to electric start just yet) is that much of it was never touched by previous owners - leaving things in very good shape for me.

The worst thing about it, however, is dealing with the handful of things previous owners did touch. There aren't that many things, but there are definitely things that need to be addressed before the trip. Electrical is one such area. Does anyone care to guess what happens to electrical tape in the 110+ degree temperatures we have out here in the Phoenix area? I bet I have two rolls of it that I'm removing from the wiring harness.

I bought this machine with my eyes wide open, but I did not realize the wiring issues until I removed the tank and side covers. It won't be that bad to correct, but so far it is my one "gotcha".

As for price, I paid the seller's asking price of $1600 (he was not willing to negotiate). The seller was pretty sure it was worth a lot more than that (like around $2,200). In well maintained condition and ready to ride, sure. But not this example. Personally, I think it was worth less than $1600 (like around $1400). But, I wanted it and paid the money.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #16378
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
I had a 91, but mine was an S, that oen is a straight up DR350, I THINK that is a stock tank. here's what it looked like brand new.

Now you can sand the tank with progressively finer papers and get it to look brand new or at least close to new! You'll want to find some cartridge emulators for those wimpy forks, and possibly get an aftermarket shock. The biggest problems with the 1990s DRs was their suspension. I did everything to mine and it rocked but the suspension still sucked, then I rode one exactly like yours with just a set of cartridge emulators in it and a FOX shock, damn that thing was night and day to mine in the dirt.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #16379
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have a steering stablizer on their DR?

Pictures, specs.

Seems like one of thsoe babies will make my life a little easier adn faster.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #16380
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Anyone have a steering stablizer on their DR?

Pictures, specs.

Seems like one of thsoe babies will make my life a little easier adn faster.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898337
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote