Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #16486
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Re worded post:

My 90 dr350 came with a broken aftermarket tank and a stock tank without hardware to mount it, like a bracket in front, or rubber grommets to mount onto the frame. Can someone explain how the grommets mount in/on the frame shield?
I can fab a bracket for the back of the tank ( flat, four holes in appropriate paces), but how do those grommets stay in place? All other bikes I've had just have a nipple that they rest on on the frame.
Friedom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #16487
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
I can fab a bracket for the back of the tank ( flat, four holes in appropriate paces), but how do those grommets stay in place? All other bikes I've had just have a nipple that they rest on on the frame.
Since you are speaking of grommets, I have to assume you are referencing the dirt model frame. The dirt model tank uses grommets up front to secure the front of the tank to the frame. Each grommet has a metal tube upon which the bolt is tightened - providing a rubber cushion for the tank.

The street tank uses to rubber "pucks" that simply push on to either side of the frame. The tank slides onto these pucks

On both the dirt and the street tank, the rear is secured in a very similar fashion: rubber grommets (again with metal tubes upon which each bolt is tightened) connect two metal plates.

Post a picture or two and we can get you sorted more easily.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #16488
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Since you are speaking of grommets, I have to assume you are referencing the dirt model frame. The dirt model tank uses grommets up front to secure the front of the tank to the frame. Each grommet has a metal tube upon which the bolt is tightened - providing a rubber cushion for the tank.

The street tank uses to rubber "pucks" that simply push on to either side of the frame. The tank slides onto these pucks

On both the dirt and the street tank, the rear is secured in a very similar fashion: rubber grommets (again with metal tubes upon which each bolt is tightened) connect two metal plates.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Gregory is correct as usual. He didn't mention that there are threaded mounts welded to the frame (centered in the little depression just behind the steering head) on the dirt model. The street model doesn't have those but I added some to mine so I could use a plastic tank.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #16489
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Gregory is correct as usual. He didn't mention that there are threaded mounts welded to the frame (centered in the little depression just behind the steering head) on the dirt model. The street model doesn't have those but I added some to mine so I could use a plastic tank.
I was really hoping I would be able to mount my dirt model Clarke tank to my new 1999 SE model. I'm certain I could have done what you did. But I was pressed for time and chose instead to open up my wallet for a new "S" model specific Clarke tank.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #16490
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
I have a plastic tank on my SE and I did not see any modifications to make it mount correctly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #16491
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeveecasualty View Post
the housing was being pulled forward, away from the actuating arm as the cable pulled the arm forward. So you're saying on yours there is not only a rubber boot on the end of the metal cable housing tip, but also a rubber seal underneath it that seats into that recessed slot on the metal tube? If so, then that is the part I am missing. My previous cable was the other configuration and for whatever reason the new cable did not contain that rubber seal.

Thanks again for the clarification.
Rather than clarifying I'm afraid I have muddied the waters further. The "seal" I mentioned is that rubber boot. This is a replacement cable I have.

pardon the packaging but you can see there is no extra seal.

There is also this bracket at the downtube.

There is a collar on the housing that fits it. With the two brackets and clutch lever assembly on the handlebars the housing is captured and cannot move, only the cable can.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #16492
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Rather than clarifying I'm afraid I have muddied the waters further. The "seal" I mentioned is that rubber boot. This is a replacement cable I have.

pardon the packaging but you can see there is no extra seal.

There is also this bracket at the downtube.

There is a collar on the housing that fits it. With the two brackets and clutch lever assembly on the handlebars the housing is captured and cannot move, only the cable can.

Thanks for that second photo! I've been wondering for a while why I have to zip tie my clutch cable to the frame right there to keep it off the exhaust. I guess I'm missing that little bracket.

Mine is that exact same setup though- I wonder if the later ones using the threaded barrel have a different lower bracket that won't work with the simple cable. I can't put my head around why it wouldn't work.

Teevee, can you throw up a photo of what you're dealing with?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #16493
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Ok, cool. I have those threaded holes, and the plastic tank was mounted to them. But the metal tank doesn't come anywhere close to them. So I'm trying to figure out what it does mount on. My searches have been surprisingly fruitless.

Also, i thought they ONLY made the dirt model in '90?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #16494
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Ok, cool. I have those threaded holes, and the plastic tank was mounted to them. But the metal tank doesn't come anywhere close to them. So I'm trying to figure out what it does mount on. My searches have been surprisingly fruitless.

The metal tank doesn't mount the same, it has two metal cups on the inside of it which mount over two rubber pads that fit over tabs on the frame. If you have a dirt model, it doesn't have the tabs.

You need to find a stock dirt model tank or just deal with having the tank only mounted to the rear. Unless you are hauling ass over whoops or jumping the bike, it won't come off.

As for the metal bracket on the back, you can modify the one you have to fit, or just make another one out of some sheet metal. I may even have one in my parts stash.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #16495
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Pucks, bushings, grommets, I'm not really sure since I don't have them to look at. Here's some pics.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #16496
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
looks like both styles were available in '90.
http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR350.shtml
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #16497
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
looks like both styles were available in '90.
http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR350.shtml
The wording is a little obscure, and the stats that he lists for those two bikes are exactly the same. There might be a VIN digit I can use to check I think. Anyone have a decoder handy?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #16498
teeveecasualty
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
Thanks for that second photo! I've been wondering for a while why I have to zip tie my clutch cable to the frame right there to keep it off the exhaust. I guess I'm missing that little bracket.

Mine is that exact same setup though- I wonder if the later ones using the threaded barrel have a different lower bracket that won't work with the simple cable. I can't put my head around why it wouldn't work.

Teevee, can you throw up a photo of what you're dealing with?
Thanks for those photos Jackanory! Super helpful.

Crenshaw, here's a photo of that same frame bracket and the rubber piece on this Motion Pro cable. It's not at all the same and Doesn't do anything to hold the housing securely into the bracket. You can see how creased the housing became just from one test ride.

Ordered a Motion Pro cable and that should arrive today, so hopefully it fits a lot better. Seems like this should have been the most simple installation, but no idea why this cable isn't what it should be, especially when part numbers are spot on.

[IMG]
teeveecasualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #16499
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Well, now that I've had some new ideas to chew on, and now that i know that the dirt model comes with a plastic tank, I'm thinking this may be the stock tank. And the replacement metal tank is for the street model, which is why the mounts don't line up quite right. I think I could retrofit some things to make it work with the steel, but I'd prefer plastic. Think I'll try this quik steel plastic tank repair kit.

Now i have to figure out where to mount the new plate and brake light..
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #16500
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pucks, bushings, grommets, I'm not really sure since I don't have them to look at. Here's some pics.

Dirt frame. Street tank. The factory never intended the street tank be mounted on the dirt frame. As others have mentioned, you can probably get away with it???

Regards,

Gregory Bender