Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #1741
High-Side
Highly Adventurous

Oddometer: 157
I use thin airline luggage type locks to lock my helmet to whatever works best on any of my bikes. All that does is keep somebody from walking away with it. If they had a good pair of bolt cutters you're screwed, but if they really were a thief your bike would be stolen too.
High-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #1742
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Side
I use thin airline luggage type locks to lock my helmet to whatever works best on any of my bikes. All that does is keep somebody from walking away with it. If they had a good pair of bolt cutters you're screwed, but if they really were a thief your bike would be stolen too.
That's what I figure.

I just changed jobs (at the same company) and I'd like to ride to work, but they're very strict about carrying bags, etc. inside and out. I'm not sure if they'd consider a helmet a big risk, but I'd like to avoid security issues and I don't really hav eanywhere to put it either.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #1743
High-Side
Highly Adventurous

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That's what I figure.

I just changed jobs (at the same company) and I'd like to ride to work, but they're very strict about carrying bags, etc. inside and out. I'm not sure if they'd consider a helmet a big risk, but I'd like to avoid security issues and I don't really hav eanywhere to put it either.
You know my bike came with only one key and I tried using it on the fork lock - no luck. If I remember right I had to have the serial number for my keys to get a new fork lock made, I didn't have it so no fork lock key. Maybe it's the key that also works the fork lock that works for the helmet lock?
If I was in your situation I'd use a good quality heavy duty pad lock for leaving it outside all day. I'd lock my d-rings to something unbreakable on my bike and figure nobody would want my helmet bad enough to cut the chin straps off and make the helmet unusable.
Or you could bribe the security guard at the entrance and see if they will let you keep it behind their desk someplace.
High-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #1744
BR0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Helmet lock...

On my 1990 DR350S the ignition key works the helmet lock. It doesn't work like a normal lock, once you slip the key in and turn it, half the assembly turns with the key.

The fork lock takes a separate funky little key, but I haven't got that to work.

Rich
BR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #1745
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR0
On my 1990 DR350S the ignition key works the helmet lock. It doesn't work like a normal lock, once you slip the key in and turn it, half the assembly turns with the key.

The fork lock takes a separate funky little key, but I haven't got that to work.

Rich
Which way does it turn?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #1746
od al
Just aint right

Oddometer: 227
Well I finally picked up a DR. 96 dirt model titled, plated, Dunlop 606s, Acerbis handguards, second set of hand guards, neoprene seal savers on the forks, Clarke 4g tank, original tank, stainless brakeline new in box, front pads new in box, rear pads new in box, Kientech exhaust mod, airbox mod, pumper carb jetted for mods, spare jets, spare needles (after market with grooves) taller seat, original seat foam, second seat cover, bar risers, shark fin, new chain & sprokets, back up chain with sprokets- 14tooth CS, new front and rear fenders, spare rear fender, owner's manual, clymer manual, suzuki shop manual, Mototote carrier to mount in 2" Reese hitch Reciever (So I can mount it on the hitch of my '55 Willys wagon) Bike starts 2nd kick when cold and 1st when warm. Paid $1800.

This is my first kicker bike so a couple questions from the DR rookie....
It's my understanding that the electrical system is AC (no rectifier) can grip heaters be run on this system?

How about LEDs for brake light?

Am I going to have to go over to max-zuk to find the electrical output for this thing? I'd like to run better head lights, grip heaters, & someday lectric jacket liner...(yes ima wuss but if it extends my riding season yall can pizzoff )

Thanks for helping the rookie out.

od al screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 04:13 PM
od al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #1747
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by od al
Well I finally picked up a DR. 96 dirt model titled, plated, Dunlop 606s, Acerbis handguards, second set of hand guards, neoprene seal savers on the forks, Clarke 4g tank, original tank, stainless brakeline new in box, front pads new in box, rear pads new in box, Kientech exhaust mod, airbox mod, pumper carb jetted for mods, spare jets, spare needles (after market with grooves) taller seat, original seat foam, second seat cover, bar risers, shark fin, new front and rear fenders, spare rear fender, owner's manual, clymer manual, suzuki shop manual, Mototote carrier to mount in 2" Reese hitch Reciever (So I can mount it on the hitch of my '55 Willys wagon) Bike starts 2nd kick when cold and 1st when warm. Paid $1800.

This is my first kicker bike so a couple questions from the DR rookie....
It's my understanding that the electrical system is AC (no rectifier) can grip heaters be run on this system?

How about LEDs for brake light?

Am I going to have to go over to max-zuk to find the electrical output for this thing? I'd like to run better head lights, grip heaters, & someday lectric jacket liner...(yes ima wuss but if it extends my riding season yall can pizzoff )

Thanks for helping the rookie out.
What, no pics '

Sounds like a fully tricked out bike, enjoy.

john
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #1748
od al
Just aint right

Nope not yet. These dem putor thingies got gremlins that won't let me upload then thair pichyas. So in a bit I'll try again...
Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #1749
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
od al,

DR350 dirt model has a single phase stator with AC regulator. It produces about 85 watts. It won't be enough to run heated accessories.

Dualsport models produce about 125 watts from the larger three phase stator. It is enough to run heated grips or a heated vest.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #1750
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalis
Dualsport models produce about 125 watts from the larger three phase stator. It is enough to run heated grips or a heated vest.
Is that the S or SE, or both?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1751
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
The 125 watt figure is quoted from the 1994 SE model specs as the "magneto maximum output". The manual is a bit vague on older models, they may be a bit different. All dualsport models have the same three-pahse setup with the same regulator / rectifier, so they should be pretty close in output.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #1752
od al
Just aint right

Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit with higher output?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #1753
BR0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Which way does it turn?
Clockwise...the whole front part of the helmet lock turns 90 deg., revealing the post to slip your D-ring on.
BR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #1754
chairguy
boghopper

Oddometer: 375
Just got me a DR350s

Howdy folks! I just picked up this little number today!

A fine all stock 1990 dr350s w/ 4k on it ! She is looking VG and even started & ran for a minute or two.. Here is the deal. she has sat for about two years, the fuel was "stabilized". She started but I didn't want to run her to long with the old gas..

Since you guys now your DR's please give me a hit list of proities I should takcle after her long slumber.. Asside from fiulds.. any other known places I should look at first before we spin..

CHeers

06 Multistrada 620
chairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #1755
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguy
Howdy folks! I just picked up this little number today!

A fine all stock 1990 dr350s w/ 4k on it ! She is looking VG and even started & ran for a minute or two.. Here is the deal. she has sat for about two years, the fuel was "stabilized". She started but I didn't want to run her to long with the old gas..

Since you guys now your DR's please give me a hit list of proities I should takcle after her long slumber.. Asside from fiulds.. any other known places I should look at first before we spin..

CHeers

Disassemble, dip and rebuild the carb.

Also look at getting a manual petcock for a yamaha raptor.