Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #17581
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
My bike purrs like a kitten.
My 1999 SE idles great.

When I first got my 1993 dirt model, it idled very poorly. A new pumper carb solved that problem (along with a lot of TLC everywhere else). When I switched to the the CV carb shortly after fitting the new pumper, it still idled great.

I've got a 1990 dirt engine I'm resurrecting right now. The pumper it came with is nearly new, but it isn't idling great. I need to test all the electrical first to make sure that is functioning great. But, I suspect I may need to hone the cylinder and re-ring the piston. We'll see...

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #17582
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
Yeah, I'm confused about it too. Backyard engineering for sure. I'll probably get a stock pipe off eBay if I even get around to it.

Not sure why people always have to mess around with exhaust pipes. My WR400F came from the previous owner with a terrible, noisy, ill-fitting Big Gun exhaust that was just rotting away. Got a stock system and it was 100% better. Power, sound, everything.

My PSA for today. Stop modifying bikes and making them worse, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
You might be able to fix it.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2980
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #17583
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
My bike purrs like a kitten.
Well good, at least I have something to look forward to after my rebuild.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #17584
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks guru's and all for contributing your knowledge to this thread, my new to me 96 plated Dirt DR is quickly becoming my favorite bike and I've had many over the years.

Bought it stock for $1500, new fluids and filters, drum bolt checked good, valves adjusted, rode for a couple hundred miles and added Pro Taper ATV Mid Bars, X Strong Guards, New Kenda K270 rubber, new Seat Concepts seat, Vapor Tech, ATV tank panniers. I'll be swapping the tank for an Acerbis soon, and adding Dirtbagz panniers to get it ready for some desert weekend camping trips. It's a keeper.
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #17585
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Good deal, ceke. I feel the same way about my DR. If I ever have to get down to just one bike, I'll sell the FJR and keep the DR.

How do you like the Seat Concepts seat?

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #17586
DR350seKING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceke View Post
Thanks guru's and all for contributing your knowledge to this thread, my new to me 96 plated Dirt DR is quickly becoming my favorite bike and I've had many over the years.

Bought it stock for $1500, new fluids and filters, drum bolt checked good, valves adjusted, rode for a couple hundred miles and added Pro Taper ATV Mid Bars, X Strong Guards, New Kenda K270 rubber, new Seat Concepts seat, Vapor Tech, ATV tank panniers. I'll be swapping the tank for an Acerbis soon, and adding Dirtbagz panniers to get it ready for some desert weekend camping trips. It's a keeper.
how do like the k270's I put a front one on and like it so far (about 200 miles) and im going to replace the back as soon as it needs it. I was thinking about going with the 5.10 what size did u go with. where did u find the tank bags? every thing I seem to find is way to big for the tank they look like the fit great
DR350seKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #17587
TopDeadCenter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Just a few quick questions.

What are the drawbacks of running a manual decomp head on an electric start motor?

Would you run new/reconditioned rockers on an old cam?

Reason I ask is my motor started making clackety noises. Checked the valve clearances and adjusted. No change. I had to take the valve cover off to re-seal it anyway. It was then that I found the exhaust rocker was fried. It looks as if some of the rtv had found its way into the passages, partially blocking them.

I had thought this was a auto decomp motor but I know the PO has really messed this thing. Looks as if he put a dirt head on a e start cylinder/motor.

I know I can get my rockers and cam reconditioned by Web or Megacycles. Anyone have a preferance?

Thanks,

Josh

GS850GLX
DR350SE
TopDeadCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #17588
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
One of those times I broke my clutch lever and another really tweaked the front end. Are all clutch levers created equally? Any recommendations? I'm hoping to get something with a longer pull (more of a bend?) since I only have a very small sweet spot in the adjustment where the clutch won't slip and it changes gears without issue.
If you are a SE (maybe even an S) and you have to pull the clutch lever in to start the bike you have to make sure it has the clutch saftey switch arm.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #17589
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,603
Has anyone added a kick starter to an e-start bike (1995) as a back up? If so, how involved is it?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #17590
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
'93 dirt model... I ride in rocks.
Stock is 10W.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #17591
Pablodakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Hi, Im looking for luggage rack (sides) to install givi or similar cases, but now, I dont find it. are there some manufacturer with luggage systems for DR350SEX?

regards

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #17592
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablodakar View Post
Hi, Im looking for luggage rack (sides) to install givi or similar cases, but now, I dont find it. are there some manufacturer with luggage systems for DR350SEX?

regards
We just installed the MMoto complete rack on my wife's 1995 DR350SE. I think it works for the later models, but check me on that. The rack is as solid as the frame of the bike, and we are mounting Pelican hard cases on it. TCI products says theirs can only hold soft saddlebags.

MMoto:
http://www.mmotoparts.com/product/co...dr-250s-dr350s

TCI:
http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....CI-87-340.html
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #17593
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablodakar View Post

regards
Click my sig to see some pics of the tci racks.

Edit: I see the other response has some good pics. But I don't see where it says only soft bags can be used. Granted, I haven't done it, but I would think a "universal" mounting kit would be able to work.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."

Anonawesome screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:44 AM
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #17594
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
The MMoto rack looks great. What about the shipping; was it expensive and lengthy?
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #17595
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
..., my bike came with a strange extension added to the exhaust. Can anyone surmise what the purpose of this was? Maybe to quiet it down? I'm probably going to leave it. (if it ain't broke...)

My guess would be it's to clear saddlebags so they don't melt or stink of exhaust fumes. Should be easy enough to un-modify. No need to buy a new exhaust.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote