Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #17671
LoopGaroo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I added some extra tension on the choke knob with a zip tie around the opening. Works great.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #17672
skelethon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
you mean the cold start enrichment circuit knob?
skelethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #17673
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
Lol

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them." W. S.

I salute you! Builders, makers, fixers, breakers - skeptics, believers, dreamers, achievers - for you turn the very wheels of progress!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #17674
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,221
What is the most high HP DR350 based bike in this thread?

I remember Cycle Gear use to specialize in them. I had one I spent a ton on in the early 1990s. Magic Airbox, carby, pipe, big bore, everything.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #17675
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
You can probably fix it, if you can get it apart without loosing the detent ball and spring. File the detent grooves in the shaft a little deeper and carefully stretch the spring a little. Might be worth a try, can't hurt much.
I was recently cleaning and rejetting the carb when this issue arose. I just replaced the choke assembly and all is well and no awkward holding of the knob required. A few bucks well spent.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #17676
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
... neither BST33 nor TM33 carbs have chokes and instead have cold start enrichment circuits.
Quote:
Given that you mean the cold start enrichment plunger shaft, how would that work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
you mean the cold start enrichment circuit knob?

Most of us know that the enrichment circuit is not technically a "choke". The rest wouldn't know the difference anyway. In neither case does it matter. For purposes of discussing motorcycles in general and the DR350 in particular, we all know what is meant by "Choke", "Choke knob", etc.

Why don't you spend some time correcting spelling and grammar in JM? - I'm sure your efforts will be warmly received.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 11:56 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #17677
skelethon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
skelethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #17678
LoopGaroo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Anyone have an extra rear wheel they'd like to sell?
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #17679
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Given that you mean the cold start enrichment plunger shaft, how would that work?

Regards,

Derek
you reach in there with a wrench and turn the black nut the shaft goes thru into the carb, righty-tighty.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #17680
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
you reach in there with a wrench and turn the black nut the shaft goes thru into the carb, righty-tighty.
Lefty-losey
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #17681
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
I don't see how that would make the detent work better.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #17682
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

Most of us know that the enrichment circuit is not technically a "choke". The rest wouldn't know the difference anyway. In neither case does it matter. For purposes of discussing motorcycles in general and the DR350 in particular, we all know what is meant by "Choke", "Choke knob", etc.

Why don't you spend some time correcting spelling and grammar in JM? - I'm sure your efforts will be warmly received.
I don't understand the hostility toward raising the bar.

What is the advantage of imprecise language?

If meanings are continually perverted, then language eventually becomes such that no one can any longer be sure what others are really talking about at any given time. There are many examples of this in common usage, and I'm against every single one.

Regards,

Derek
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #17683
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
wow

Quote:
I don't understand the hostility toward raising the bar.

What is the advantage of imprecise language?

If meanings are continually perverted, then language eventually becomes such that no one can any longer be sure what others are really talking about at any given time. There are many examples of this in common usage, and I'm against every single one.

Regards,

Derek
I think the issue isn't of an advantage of one or the other but rather of time and place. This is a casual forum where people from all walks of life gather and share information. To continually point out the difference between such minimally differing terms as "enrichment circuit" and "choke" when the difference between the two isn't at issue is just obnoxious. Why cause a detour when traffic was flowing fine?
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #17684
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I think because pooping on decel is an indication that something is wronge with the tune/bike all the time, not jsut on decel. Pooping on decel ususualy means that the bike is tuned lean, not just on decel. It sometimes not that apparent on the accel part.

If your bike has been running great, have never messed with the carb and tuning and it starts to pop on decel, the most common reason this starts to happen is that the exhuast header is loose, or you blew out an exhaust gasket. That would be worth the concern. Or the airbox door has fallen off, also worth looking into.

If you are fiddling with your bike's tuning, and get it where you think it is good and it pops a little on decel, plug readings look good, then I would not worry about it.
I don't know about all of that. Maybe we have a different definition of "popping on decel". Pretty sure all of my dirt bikes have done it. I think caused more by a comparatively short exhaust system and a muffler leaning toward performance (less baffles and sound reduction)...compared to, say, a Goldwing. The worst lean bike I ever had was a brand new '72 Ossa Pioneer. That thing would detonation knock just going constant speed down the road. Took it back to the dealer and they had to send to Spain for a new carb. They said the original had a factory defect that could not be repaired. Rode it 2 years after that on the TX enduro circuit before switching to trials. And those old late 50's V8 Fords with glass packs would "pop" so much you could here them for blocks. The 6 cyl Chevys with steel packs were about as bad, and I'm pretty sure they were not lean. Never seen a performance vehicle with a low restriction exhaust that didn't pop on decel. I know old Fords and Chevys are not DR350s but, it never even enter my mind that something was wrong.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #17685
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
This is a casual forum where people from all walks of life gather and share information.
You claim to know whether the specific individuals that comprise these "people from all walks of life" personally have a distaste for learning and/or precision? And you claim to speak for them?

Regards,

Derek