Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #18046
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thanks for the review! You need to line the E12s with dry bags (from vendors like Hefty, e.g.) for water, correct? I like how the E12s don't need side racks; that I could move them to the CM450E (highly underestimated ADV bike) is a plus. Twisted Throttle sells a dry bag combo (big 'un and little 'un that work together to give 66l). I could move those back and forth between the DR and the DL pretty easily, and use as much or as little storage as I need. I still pack too darn much though.

I'm pretty sure there are some Sweet Cheeks in my future, if I'm going any distance.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #18047
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad View Post

I'm pretty sure there are some Sweet Cheeks in my future, if I'm going any distance.

- Spad
Any idea where you can order these? I can't seem to find them online.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #18048
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Used to be available at http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #18049
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Used to be available at http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks.

- Spad
Google said the site was compromised, but looks OK on my phone.

I've been going round and round in my head about what to do about luggage. I mostly commute, do short day trips and ride off road. BUT, I do a week long trip every year with friends. Usually around 2,000 miles.

I think I've decided on either buying the dirt bagz setup or sticking with the combo I already have of a large dry bag and some cheap nylon throwovers.

If I go cheap I'll have to modify the fender on the exhaust side. I like the crushed cans/jb weld idea.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #18050
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Thanks for the review! You need to line the E12s with dry bags (from vendors like Hefty, e.g.) for water, correct? I like how the E12s don't need side racks; that I could move them to the CM450E (highly underestimated ADV bike) is a plus. Twisted Throttle sells a dry bag combo (big 'un and little 'un that work together to give 66l). I could move those back and forth between the DR and the DL pretty easily, and use as much or as little storage as I need. I still pack too darn much though.

- Spad
Instead of Hefty or Ziplock I prefer to go to the otherside of Wal-Mart and get a set of Outdoor Products Silnylon dry bags. A three pack cost about $12 and they're a little tougher than plastic bags.

I also have a 5 liter Sealine bag that I use for anything that HAS to stay dry in those bags. It's probably not necassary but its durability gives me piece of mind. It can also be strapped to the tail if need be.

Another trick is to carry things I don't mind getting wet in the E12's. For example, ratchet straps, tow strap, rope, tarp, guylines, tent pegs, etc.

Also, I had sweet cheeks on my DRZ. Great product. I put a section of an old Thermarest pad in the "map pocket" for extra padding. I'd get one for the DR but the seat is wider and it'd interfere with my luggage. If they work with your system there's really not a better way to carry 2 liters of the liquid of your choice.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #18051
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
With my DR on the road again, it's time to start dressing it up. One of the things I'm looking for is a luggage setup to help with commuting, longer trips and camping. Couple questions in particular:

Tank bag that fits with Acerbis tank? Also considering tank panniers to both keep the weight lower and add a bit of volume to make up for smaller saddlebags.
Saddlebag setup that could work with the existing ProMoto billet rear rack? I'd like the Turbo City racks except that I want to keep the PM rack I've got. The Wolfman Expeditions look good but they don't list a side rack for the DR350. I don't want them too big because I know I'll fill (or overfill) them and I don't want the weight.
Tool storage? Stock container no longer mounts with the PM rack and it's both too small and too insecure for me. I see here custom tubes and fender mounts. Pros and cons?

Ideally luggage will be soft rather than hard and waterproof. I can pack things in garbage bags if nec. but would rather not. For the side racks, I can fabricate something if necessary. No passenger pegs, so those mounting points are available. Finally, suggestions for non-MC options (REI, Walmart, etc.) welcome because if I just got everything that looks perfect from Twisted Throttle or Aerostich I'll end up paying more than I paid for the bike (maybe I should have gotten a KLR...). And it still might not fit.

- Spad

I have the DirtBagz scout setup on my DR, mounted the brackets to the rear shock reservoir and muffler mount since I don't have the passenger peg mounts, works fine. I also use moose atv tank panniers, make for a wider leg spread but I never ride with mine tucked in anyway. The tank panniers aren't secure enough for serious off-road which I don't do and are big enough for cameras, water, etc.

ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #18052
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post

Hi,

I like the look of your DR350, I did the same mod on the headlamp by using a 650 Djebel cowl. It took me two years to find one, they're like hen's teeth over here

I use a Wolfman tankbag on my DR350, it also works very well on my 950ADV

cheers, Bob.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #18053
mfleck
Fleckster

Oddometer: 119
Has anyone used a pod filter on a tm33 instead of the airbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
mfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #18054
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
With my DR on the road again, it's time to start dressing it up. One of the things I'm looking for is a luggage setup to help with commuting, longer trips and camping. Couple questions in particular:

Tank bag that fits with Acerbis tank? Also considering tank panniers to both keep the weight lower and add a bit of volume to make up for smaller saddlebags.
Saddlebag setup that could work with the existing ProMoto billet rear rack? I'd like the Turbo City racks except that I want to keep the PM rack I've got. The Wolfman Expeditions look good but they don't list a side rack for the DR350. I don't want them too big because I know I'll fill (or overfill) them and I don't want the weight.
Tool storage? Stock container no longer mounts with the PM rack and it's both too small and too insecure for me. I see here custom tubes and fender mounts. Pros and cons?

Ideally luggage will be soft rather than hard and waterproof. I can pack things in garbage bags if nec. but would rather not. For the side racks, I can fabricate something if necessary. No passenger pegs, so those mounting points are available. Finally, suggestions for non-MC options (REI, Walmart, etc.) welcome because if I just got everything that looks perfect from Twisted Throttle or Aerostich I'll end up paying more than I paid for the bike (maybe I should have gotten a KLR...). And it still might not fit.

- Spad
I really like my Giant Loop luggage. On top of it, I strap either a 20 or a 30 liter SeaLine duffel. Inside the Giant Loop, I use 4 and 8 liter Sea To Summit dry sacks to keep things organized and dry. None of these products are Walmart cheap. But, they've worked very well for me on numerous trips.

As for a tank bag, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Giant Loop fandango tank bag. Not inexpensive. But I've watched my buddy use his and I'm convinced it will do what I want it to do.

As for tank panniers, I cannot use them on the DR350. They are constantly in the way of my knees. I've tried them before and they only stayed on for one ride.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #18055
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleck View Post
Has anyone used a pod filter on a tm33 instead of the airbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
I have not but I briefly considered this as an option. Someone else pointed out to me that the airbox and snorkel are there to keep the intake far away from dirt, dust, water, etc. The best filter can't keep everything out if it's located poorly. Just something to consider. Unless of course you ride only street in perfect weather.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #18056
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceke View Post
I have the DirtBagz scout setup on my DR, mounted the brackets to the rear shock reservoir and muffler mount since I don't have the passenger peg mounts, works fine. I also use moose atv tank panniers, make for a wider leg spread but I never ride with mine tucked in anyway. The tank panniers aren't secure enough for serious off-road which I don't do and are big enough for cameras, water, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

As for tank panniers, I cannot use them on the DR350. They are constantly in the way of my knees. I've tried them before and they only stayed on for one ride.
Can you not get the tank panniers to stay on the forward portion of the acerbic tank. My knees only occupy the cut out portion of the tank. Don't some of these panniers have lower tie down points as well.

I have a wolfman enduro (?) tank bag. It is the little one with the almost useless map pocket. I used it once and that is probably it. It gets in the way of standing and riding. If you notice you are pretty forwards on the nose of the seat and tank area. The bag and your junk want to occupy the same space.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #18057
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 636
Maybe?

I've been looking at a TW200 but am wishing for a little more highway speed sooooo I wonder how one like these would work out? (350cc) Maybe I'll have to go search for some information unless you'd be so kind as to give a little here? Thanks much, :-) (Top speed, weight, seat height, gas tank size, gears, etc.)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #18058
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

So I weighed my bike yesterday: 325lbs, little more than a half a tank of gas, stock mini rack, no tools.

How would one go about putting it on a diet. I know the most dramatic one is the electric start, but what else. Let's see some real numbers. I weighed various parts and it seems that I could take about 10lbs off:
Passenger pegs, al grab bar, no subframe/plate support, dirt headlight.

I am already sans rear plate bracket, mini turn signals, acerbic tank, no instruments. Heavier items are big foot peg, rm250 forks, big skid plate.

Thoughts
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #18059
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oldone.

From your avatar it would seem like you are not looking for a highway cruiser bike, cause the DR350 is NOT. Within the last few pages there have been a discussion on top speed, about 80mph stock.

Bike will go 55 all day all conditions. Cruise at 65 easy till you hit a strong cross wind on an over pass, then you drop down to 45 the rest of your ride with a soiled pair of shorts. If it is flat you can hold it a 75 as long as you dare, your nerves will probably give out before the bike does.

MrPulldown screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 04:18 PM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #18060
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Can you not get the tank panniers to stay on the forward portion of the acerbic tank. My knees only occupy the cut out portion of the tank. Don't some of these panniers have lower tie down points as well.
I could not find any way to keep them far enough forward to clear my knees, yet far enough back to clear the steering. I've run tank pannier on other, much larger "adventure" machines without issue. But, on the DR350, they are a no-go for me.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote