Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #19051
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
It seems on dry fit the new tank does not want to sit on the 'round rubber tank mounts' on either side well. But if I take those rubber mounts off its easy. I may just need to use a little force to get the new tank to slide in there.
Yup....you can always put a little wd40 on the rubber.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #19052
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
http://www.spcoating.com/Ceramic.html ....The place is a couple of blocks from my house. A small two man operation. I think they charged $15/ft. The header and mid pipe was ~ $100 inside and out, which I thought was a fair price. I don't know if they do mail order(there might be someone in your area), but if they don't, and you want something coated, send it to me and I'll get it done for you.
Is rust a problem? That is, can they coat over mildly rusted pipes?
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #19053
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Is rust a problem? That is, can they coat over mildly rusted pipes?
I think they bead blast it clean before coating. Didn't look like rust/old paint was a problem.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #19054
skelethon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeinbreed View Post
Thanks!

The fender is a maier, I got it from ebay, im pretty sure it's the same one from kientech.

led brake light (China) for some reason the auction says 40 LED, it's not, it's only 12 main led's, and 3 white led's that point down for the plate, but since the lens is all red it doesn't matter. I've brought it up to the seller before and he's refunded 50% of my purchase price when I brought it up to them. Might be worth a shot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380708040985...84.m1497.l2649

led plate bolts (China)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161062162392...84.m1439.l2649

Maier fender (USA)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390519427748...84.m1439.l2649

LED turn signals (China)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universa...item1c369d9487

I'm satisfied with the setup, I love the brake light, it's nice and bright even in bright daylight (I'm in SoCal where the sun is nice and bright) since I made the same setup for my buddy and have ridden behind him to see it first hand. If you're at all on the ropes about getting it, start ordering the china marked stuff now, since it takes a solid 4-5 weeks to get delivered, but I've ordered TONS of random free shipping stuff from china over the years and I've had very little trouble.

There are some things I had to modify to get it all bolted up and looking like that picture, so if you ever decide you want to do it for sure, just send me a PM and I'll get more detailed pictures.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info and links. I got some of the China stuff on order.
skelethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #19055
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I use armoral on all rubber on the bike, tank rubber bumpers as well as where the number plate snaps on at the top.

So today I got a 1998 DR350 SE... it's a little rough, but needs a gas cap.
Suggestions anyone??
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #19056
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Its cold and drizzly.
Planning to install the Acerbis on my 97 DR350SE.
Any last minute hints?
Thanks
Simba
All Done.

After struggling because I could not mount the Acerbis tank on the bike I called my wife for help. She asked for the instructions to which I replied "they are lousy instructions and of no help". She insisted and noticed that the Acerbis does not mount on the stock rubber mounts but new rubber mounts have to be installed on the engine mount and are also 'staggered'. (picture 1 below)

The rest was fairly easy. I will fuel up the tank tomorrow and see how every thing works. I followed the hints and advice I got here.

Thanks All,
Simba

pic1:

simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #19057
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I'll bet you were hangin' your head after that! Glad it got done, and darn those significant others when they are right.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #19058
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I use armoral on all rubber on the bike, tank rubber bumpers as well as where the number plate snaps on at the top.

So today I got a 1998 DR350 SE... it's a little rough, but needs a gas cap.
Suggestions anyone??
A big rubber cork with a hole drilled through?

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #19059
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
A big rubber cork with a hole drilled through?
Prolly not, but you still get the bonus points for the first response.

So as I was saying before my GF took me away for awhile, I got a good deal on the DR, and it was on my short list of DS bikes. I want more dirt capability than street, street being the necessary evil to get TO local riding areas. If it's over 15 miles, I'll truck the bike.

Anyway, I removed the old gas cap and found it was pretty busted up on the inside. Someone had forcibly removed it and broken away the locking parts on the inside. So I need to replace it, but the only ones I'm seeing on ebay either come with the gas cap, key, and ignition unit at a high price, or with a complete gas tank at a high price.

I don't care if the cap ever locks again or not, but I do want it to fasten securely and stay attached when the bike goes down, as it certainly will.

I've heard that this year has 3 different caps- a twist off for the dirt bike, a double pawl for the cali model, and a single pawl for the 49 state version- which is the one I have.

So there has got to be a better answer for this. One of the major reasons the DR was on my short list was parts availability- they've made millions of them. I'm sure others have faced this issue as well.

One more question.. I believe the DR250/350 tanks and seat are all interchangeable?
If so, there's a really nasty 250 tank on ebay that would solve my problem as well as furthering my cause against the imminent zombie apocalypse.

FTL900 screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 01:13 AM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #19060
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
250/350

i've got both bikes. a 93 and a 99, respectively. yes tanks, seats, side panels...basically everything external to the motor will interchange...with the exception of year-to-year changes like suspension, electric start bits, wheels, etc.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #19061
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
I'll bet you were hangin' your head after that! Glad it got done, and darn those significant others when they are right.
My wife is more right than wrong and an incredible life partner.

1. After the Acerbis installation I need to cap off the vacuum gas line. Any hints?
2. Is there a linky/tutorial for an oil change on the DR350SE?

Thanks in advance,
Simba
Old 11-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #19062
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
Prolly not, but you still get the bonus points for the first response.

So as I was saying before my GF took me away for awhile, I got a good deal on the DR, and it was on my short list of DS bikes. I want more dirt capability than street, street being the necessary evil to get TO local riding areas. If it's over 15 miles, I'll truck the bike.

Anyway, I removed the old gas cap and found it was pretty busted up on the inside. Someone had forcibly removed it and broken away the locking parts on the inside. So I need to replace it, but the only ones I'm seeing on ebay either come with the gas cap, key, and ignition unit at a high price, or with a complete gas tank at a high price.

I don't care if the cap ever locks again or not, but I do want it to fasten securely and stay attached when the bike goes down, as it certainly will.

I've heard that this year has 3 different caps- a twist off for the dirt bike, a double pawl for the cali model, and a single pawl for the 49 state version- which is the one I have.

So there has got to be a better answer for this. One of the major reasons the DR was on my short list was parts availability- they've made millions of them. I'm sure others have faced this issue as well.

One more question.. I believe the DR250/350 tanks and seat are all interchangeable?
If so, there's a really nasty 250 tank on ebay that would solve my problem as well as furthering my cause against the imminent zombie apocalypse.
I'm just glad no one mis-quoted the work "cork". I was fully expecting that one.

Anyway, If you have the street model, I'll sell you my stock tank. 1990 blue/white theme. Nice 'n clean. $70 shipped. PM me if you want pics.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #19063
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Quote:
My wife is more right than wrong and an incredible life partner.

1. After the Acerbis installation I need to cap off the vacuum gas line. Any hints?
2. Is there a linky/tutorial for an oil change on the DR350SE?

Thanks in advance,
Simba
Most small hardware stores will have vacuum caps.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #19064
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Most small hardware stores will have vacuum caps.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Autozone nearby. Any particular diameter or should I just get an assortment and use the one that fits best?

TIA,
Simba
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #19065
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Autozone nearby. Any particular diameter or should I just get an assortment and use the one that fits best?

TIA,
Simba
You can get a variety pack for about $6. They're handy to have around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote