ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #19801
Bodysnatcher
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 2
DR 350 Electric start/kick start procedure

Hi newby here based in Scotland (UK for the moment)
just bought a 1991 DR350 kick start only. Just noticed it has a place for a starter motor but none of the electrics and none of the gears going from crank to starter. It has the auto decompressor mechanism.
My question is what is the starting procedure for kick starting the cold engine when it has an auto decompressor its is a complete bar steward to start but once warmed up runs fine and starts fine, it has the non pumper carb and non of the electrics for a starter motor.
Hoping some of you DR gurus can help. Thanks Alastair
Bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #19802
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
So i was tuning my carb with some new jets and was having a hard time kicking it over because of the cold. I resorted to kicking it without the decomp release and guess what? Now I have no compression... There's no spot on the kick lever that's has resistance like it used to. The kicker isn't broken.

So besides cracking my case, is there anything else that I might have screwed up that's causing this. Is a cracked case a kiss of death for a $900 motorcycle like my DR3?

feeling glum.
I don't know for certain, but I wouldn't think a cracked case would leave you with no compression. There's a picture somewhere on this thread that shows the typical damage that results from kicking without the decomp lever on. It's the side of the case that cracks, around the kicker shaft, I think. Hopefully you have a different problem, maybe a failure of the decomp mechanism that is holding a valve open so you wouldn't see any compression? I'm not sure. Hopefully one of the DR350 gurus can offer some better advice.

If it is a cracked case, maybe you could take it to a welder and have it repaired for a reasonable cost, or sometimes you can find spare engines for a couple hundred bucks...

If it does end up being too cost-prohibitive to repair, I might be interested in buying the kickstart assembly off of you, though I hope for your sake and your DR's sake that it doesn't come to that.
__________________
--------------------------- Steve----------------------------------------
'93 GL1500 frankenbike basketcase in progress
'96 DR350SE
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #19803
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
So i was tuning my carb with some new jets and was having a hard time kicking it over because of the cold. I resorted to kicking it without the decomp release and guess what? Now I have no compression... There's no spot on the kick lever that's has resistance like it used to. The kicker isn't broken.

So besides cracking my case, is there anything else that I might have screwed up that's causing this. Is a cracked case a kiss of death for a $900 motorcycle like my DR3?

feeling glum.
Can you still bump start it? You might have cracked the case right where the kick start gear is located and messed with the ability of the KS to engage.

You can pull off the cover to the big nut used to turn over the engine when doing valve adjsutments. Turning the engine over there will allow you to feel if there is compression.
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #19804
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Friendly Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Can you still bump start it? You might have cracked the case right where the kick start gear is located and messed with the ability of the KS to engage.

You can pull off the cover to the big nut used to turn over the engine when doing valve adjsutments. Turning the engine over there will allow you to feel if there is compression.
The kicker feels exactly the same as it did beforehand, but without that "bump" in the stroke. Otherwise, it sounds and feels exactly the same. If I kick it, as is, I'll still get the headlight to light up for a split second, so I know it's engaging.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #19805
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life
 
jackanory's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Has anyone tried an 80% nitrogen - 20% oxygen mix in these. It works in some other applications.
If I end up rebuilding my shock this winter I'll guinea pig it
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #19806
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life
 
jackanory's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Hi newby here based in Scotland (UK for the moment)
just bought a 1991 DR350 kick start only. Just noticed it has a place for a starter motor but none of the electrics and none of the gears going from crank to starter. It has the auto decompressor mechanism.
My question is what is the starting procedure for kick starting the cold engine when it has an auto decompressor its is a complete bar steward to start but once warmed up runs fine and starts fine, it has the non pumper carb and non of the electrics for a starter motor.
Hoping some of you DR gurus can help. Thanks Alastair
what I would try is ignition off, gas and choke on, wide open throttle and kick it through 3 or 4 times. Then bump it just past TDC, ignition on, don't touch the throttle and give it a mighty boot.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #19807
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
The kicker feels exactly the same as it did beforehand, but without that "bump" in the stroke. Otherwise, it sounds and feels exactly the same. If I kick it, as is, I'll still get the headlight to light up for a split second, so I know it's engaging.
Assumed you checked the little doodad that engages the decomp. Where the end of the cable attaches. Flipped back?
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #19808
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life
 
jackanory's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
So i was tuning my carb with some new jets and was having a hard time kicking it over because of the cold. I resorted to kicking it without the decomp release and guess what? Now I have no compression... There's no spot on the kick lever that's has resistance like it used to. The kicker isn't broken.

So besides cracking my case, is there anything else that I might have screwed up that's causing this. Is a cracked case a kiss of death for a $900 motorcycle like my DR3?

feeling glum.
Mine did the same thing last time I had it out. I was using the decomp lever though, but at one point it felt just like you describe - lost all compression and I didn't have the decomp engaged.

I have no idea what the culprit was - I didn't do anything special, just kicked it through a bunch until the compression came back then went about business as usual.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #19809
mas335
xendurist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Piedmont region NC
Oddometer: 1,829
Here is the 98 DRse that I bought last friday. Eventually I will be parting with the Acerbis tank and Corbin seat.

__________________
Transalps
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #19810
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Oddometer: 897
Nice, mas! Do you intend to return it to stock configuration?
Soldier311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #19811
tonusmaximus
maximus
 
tonusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: nky
Oddometer: 394
Wanna part with those forks also?? hehe

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #19812
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider
 
Anonawesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Central OH
Oddometer: 1,115
The one time I didn't have compression, I had misaligned the cam with the chain. Just throwing out ideas.
__________________
'90 DR350S

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #19813
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vmcrcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Here is the 98 DRse that I bought last friday. Eventually I will be parting with the Acerbis tank and Corbin seat.

Interested in the seat if it has not been spoken for yet. Tank also, but I think someone else yelled dibs on it already.


1993DR350S Southern NH
Thoughts? Suggestions? Jokes?
vmcrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #19814
toates89
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: WNY
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
Here is the 98 DRse that I bought last friday. Eventually I will be parting with the Acerbis tank and Corbin seat.

Why are you parting with the tank and seat?
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #19815
DeutschMark
Full Tilt Boogie
 
DeutschMark's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Haven
Oddometer: 261
I love my big Acerbis tank. There is nothing like riding all day without having to stop for fuel.
__________________
89 BMW R100RS
97 Suzuki DR350
And away we go!
DeutschMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014