Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #20401
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,808
When I was a kid, I seriously blistered up my right leg on a friend's XR75, so wrapping the header on my daughter's quad was a no-brainer.

After melting a couple holes in my riding pants, I finally wrapped the header on my '94. And I like it so well, I wrapped the headers on my other bikes also.

The only real downside is having to run the bike for a few minutes to cook the water out of the wrap after washing the bike. Otherwise the moisture will eventually cause the pipe to rust out.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #20402
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,895
this is my number one complaint with wrapped pipes. Since I professionally restore classic bikes, removing the wrap and finding rusted and heavily pitted unobtainable oem head pipes is not very much fun.

A DR is a different situation, hardly a classic but...........

I made an extended heat shield for one of my NX650's, the reduced heat on my leg was dramatic and well worth the time spend fabricating the shield.

I may do the same for my DR.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #20403
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I made an extended heat shield for one of my NX650's, the reduced heat on my leg was dramatic and well worth the time spend fabricating the shield.

I may do the same for my DR.
That is still on my To Do list for my DR, as well. I've destroyed one pair of Aerostich pants...and I'm not buying new pants until I fix the cause :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #20404
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
When I was a kid, I seriously blistered up my right leg on a friend's XR75, so wrapping the header on my daughter's quad was a no-brainer.

After melting a couple holes in my riding pants, I finally wrapped the header on my '94. And I like it so well, I wrapped the headers on my other bikes also.

The only real downside is having to run the bike for a few minutes to cook the water out of the wrap after washing the bike. Otherwise the moisture will eventually cause the pipe to rust out.
Does this just transfer the heat downstream? Do you end up trading melted pants for melted sidepanels?
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #20405
Sanjuro82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Sorry, I misread your original post and replied thinking both bikes were "S" versions.

The street and off-road models are similar but have many differences. The best source for this information is the Suzuki service manual since it is structured with complete descriptions and procedures for the '90 models (both S and off-road) and each successive year is an addendum addressing only those changes from the previous year for each model. You can download a PDF manual here.

Here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list of similarities and differences between a '91 S and a '93 off-road DR350

Wheels - different but interchangeable, the off-road has rim-locks and the off-road has a solid sprocket mount instead of the S models cush hub
Brakes - the same
Frame - different - no mounting tabs on the off-road for signals, switches, etc
Swingarm - different but interchangeable - the off-road is not drilled and tapped for the larger chainguard
Shock - different but interchangeable - the off-road has both rebound and compression damping, the S only compression
Forks - the same
Triple tree - lower clamp and stem is the same the upper clamp is different
Instruments - different not interchangeable
Lights and electrical harness - NOTHING electrical is interchangeable
Voltage regulator - not interchangeable unless everything electrical is swapped
Stator and Rotor - different but interchangeable (175 watt DC system for "S", 75 watt AC on off-road)
CDI - different, the S model will run with an off-road CDI but will have no tachometer signal or neutral sensing circuitry. Makes a good backup for emergencies though
Exhaust - the same
Fenders and right side plastic - the same
Left side plastic - different not interchangeable
Rear "subframe" - different
Engine - the same internally, as noted rotor and stator are different
Carburetor - different - S model has single pull BST33, off-road has push/pull TM33
Intake - airbox is the same but the boot and snorkel are different
Fuel tank - same capacity but plastic with manual petcock on the off-road, steel with locking cap and vacuum petcock on the S
Hand controls - clutch, brake and perches are all different
Seat - the same

I've used the engines from a couple of off-road models in my "S" chassis. All kickstart, off course but it's a great way to keep your aging DR350 going. I actually have two complete backup engines in my garage now. Both have some miles on them and need refreshing but when the time comes, I'll rebuild one of those and just swap it into my rider with very little downtime.

Wow thanks for your excellent response. Very much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #20406
Nakkis
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eh?

Hey guys! Been reading alot of your bikes, and decided to show you mine.
Alltought im middle of building it, heres some specs:
Its -91 DR350S that had some minor problems ( Stator was F*cked up, all the wiring was badly done etc, no lights, it dont have TM33 etc...

Posting some pics and telling what i am doing to it.

This is pretty much where i started with it...

With new front forks and rear shock, these are bolt on, with an SHC ( Suzuki Height Controll). Pretty sweet setup so far.

Will be adding pictures more , when i get them from my camera. Just ordered the TM33 for it, RMZ 450 -08 Rear fender and plastics etc...

Plans are to paint the whole bike to black and polish the aluminium parts.

Here is the headlight i am planning to use on it.

http://www.mpt.fi/published/publicda...29.090_enl.gif

That awfull exhaust is coming off, allready bended from stainless steel an new exhaust, also bought little bit better silencer ( From Ducati).

Alot to be done, installing parts etc...
Nakkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #20407
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Welcome aboard - thanks for the pictures. Is the rear subframe/fender mount original (ie. with the hand grip on both sides of the bike) or is that something someone fabricated? I like that (mine has no handle on either side).

Mark
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #20408
Nakkis
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yeah, thats an original. Got few of those in the garage!

Planning to get the bike running next week with new carb, will be posting then new pictures etc, perhaps an little sneak peek of how we handle winter here in Finland!
Nakkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #20409
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 725
need advice

Hello friends,
Please advice on a chain and sprockets for my 1997 DR350SE.
I would like to set the bike up more for off road and maybe 20-30% on road.
I am a mechanical newbie and really don't know what will fit.
thanks
Simba

Ice Fishing, anyone?
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #20410
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Looks like stock is 15F/41R gearing. I'd drop to 15F/43R with a nice DID or similar o-ring chain. Top end rpm will come up about 300 at 65 mph, but low end grunt should be improved. The Gearing Calculator shows you would need a 108 link chain.

http://www.gearingcommander.com
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #20411
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
Looks like stock is 15F/41R gearing. I'd drop to 15F/43R with a nice DID or similar o-ring chain. Top end rpm will come up about 300 at 65 mph, but low end grunt should be improved. The Gearing Calculator shows you would need a 108 link chain.

http://www.gearingcommander.com
Thanks.
Is this junk or okay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121245624635
The rear is only 41 teeth sprocket.
Simba
ps please provide a link where I can get what you are suggesting. Thanks again.
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #20412
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Hello friends,
Please advice on a chain and sprockets for my 1997 DR350SE.
I would like to set the bike up more for off road and maybe 20-30% on road.
I am a mechanical newbie and really don't know what will fit.
thanks
Simba

Ice Fishing, anyone?
Sounds like you are ready for more off road there Simba! You'll have a blast.

On my 95, I went first with a 14/43 combo, mostly because mine came with a 43 tooth rear (stock is 41). It was OK on gravel roads and double track, but not low enough for single track and tight woods, which I love. So for that I carry a 12T front and that gives me great off road. However, cruising above 50mph feels wrong!

So you really need to decide what you want to do. Sprockets are relatively cheap, and if you keep everything in good shape you can swap back and forth until you decide what you like.

It looks like you're set up with the box and windshield, so I assume you want to do some forays into the woods/trails but not necessarily do the really technical stuff yet. So 15/43 as recommended by Sleazy, or 14/43 would be good.

I'd buy first off a name site like bike bandit or pro cycle, just to be sure you get a quality product. I'd not worry about steel vs. alloy, just go steel for now for durability and price.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #20413
AleksanderTheGreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
It was an absolutely gorgeous day today, perfect riding weather, so I hit up some trails with my dr350 buddy. My roommate ended up getting a dr350 as well so soon we will be 3 strong.

showing off the new helmet, afx fx-41 (Love the helmet)

nice easy gravel trails

though steep at times

added some rok straps to the top of my felican case, loving this thing more and more

nice warning

but my kung fu is strong

finally got all my gear together, dubinky pants (love the vents), oneal mx boots, troy lee 5450 knee pads, and a faux fox armor vest. Still getting used to shifting in huge boots, but I'm getting there.

and as always, the dr350 doesn't fail to put a smile on my face. Love this bike.
AleksanderTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #20414
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
How about a quick helmet review. I've been on the fence about ordering one, but most of the reviews I've seen have been positive...

Thanks and ride safe

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #20415
AleksanderTheGreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
How about a quick helmet review. I've been on the fence about ordering one, but most of the reviews I've seen have been positive...

Thanks and ride safe
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947973

made a thread with my thoughts a couple days ago in the equipment forum.
AleksanderTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote