Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #211
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvle95
Hey Neepuk, do you have a pic of the bike after it was lowered for comparison? How tall is the wife? I'm looking at getting one myself, the bike that is, but I dont care for the stock height.
I'll put another pic or two up when I ad the lowering links. I bought some from another adver... they're in the mail.

She's only 5'3" and she's been riding it almost every day around town, to work... Getting used to it as much as possible before we head to Death Valley in Jan. I just bought a DR650 and it turns out that it's almost as low as the 350. She had a huge smile on her face after I let her take that one around the block.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #212
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Pannier racks

I want to get some racks for my DR350 to keep some soft bags away from the muffler etc.

Can anyone guide me to to pictures of such racks (without the bags attached)?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #213
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
One thing I found on these bikes is that if you eventually do decide to go to a more street oriented set of tires, that'll buy you an extra half an inch of lowering overall vs. big knobs....just FYI
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #214
jvle95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hey neepuk, did you get that bike from a guy in Santa Clara? If so, I looked at that bike and I am kinda kickin myself for not picking it up. Glad it worked out for you. I'm still looking though.
jvle95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #215
greggski
The Great Misspeller

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc
I want to get some racks for my DR350 to keep some soft bags away from the muffler etc.

Can anyone guide me to to pictures of such racks (without the bags attached)?
Check with Turbo city, they seem to have a nice rack set up. It is the rack system i'll be buying once i sell a couple of my other bikes.

Gregg
66 Honda 305 Dream
60 LI 150 Lambretta
To many former bikes to list here....
greggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #216
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,696
If anyone does not know, I am a happy owner of a DR350.

I have grown, over the 500 miles I have pu t on it, to really like this bike.
First it is Modless. Other than the Carb has been tweaked. shimmed the needle and adjusted the mix screw.
It is a freakin' wheelie machine! Roll idling, then twist on it about half way, BAM! front end comes up soooo naturally!

Handles in the dirt great, road not too bad, but that is a tire issue.

the Only thing I have an issue with is the clutch. kinda mushy. Not too crisp.
I have read a little bit on the washers in the basket, but was looking for more detailed info on it.

Can any of you enlighten me?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #217
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
The washers you are asking about are the thrust washers, they wear and will need to be replaced. Here is a link that shows the location of the washers, they are item # 2. http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_01...940&parent=910 Also if you replace the washers remove a bit of material from the back of the clutch hub (# 4) to allow the nut to be torqued without binding up the clutch.
I an not sure this is your problem, sounds more like a bad clutch cable not letting the clutch engage completely. Worn washers can cause a problem getting into neutral more often then causing a weak clutch. Bad clutch springs can also cause the problem you are talking about.

Another problem is the shifter drum bolt will back out and get caught on the clutch, shears off and trashes the motor. Easy to fix with a little loctite. If the bike is jumping out of first or second gear this needs to be looked at ASAP.

I have a DR 350se with the magic button, what a great bike.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #218
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck13
The washers you are asking about are the thrust washers, they wear and will need to be replaced. Here is a link that shows the location of the washers, they are item # 2. http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_01...940&parent=910 Also if you replace the washers remove a bit of material from the back of the clutch hub (# 4) to allow the nut to be torqued without binding up the clutch.
I an not sure this is your problem, sounds more like a bad clutch cable not letting the clutch engage completely. Worn washers can cause a problem getting into neutral more often then causing a weak clutch. Bad clutch springs can also cause the problem you are talking about.

Another problem is the shifter drum bolt will back out and get caught on the clutch, shears off and trashes the motor. Easy to fix with a little loctite. If the bike is jumping out of first or second gear this needs to be looked at ASAP.

I have a DR 350se with the magic button, what a great bike.
I am pretty sure it is the washers.
Its a bitch to get into first once it is warmed up and you are sitting still.
Hasn't jumped out of gear... yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #219
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
the Only thing I have an issue with is the clutch. kinda mushy. Not too crisp.
I have read a little bit on the washers in the basket, but was looking for more detailed info on it.
Look here for a prettty detailed explanation of the procedure. http://www.suzukidr350.com/images/dr350/scottentoptics/Clutch_Overhaul.pdf

I did this. I actually used a mill to remove the material, but you could do it as shown if you are careful.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #220
meck13
Esq.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc
Look here for a prettty detailed explanation of the procedure. http://www.suzukidr350.com/images/dr350/scottentoptics/Clutch_Overhaul.pdf

I did this. I actually used a mill to remove the material, but you could do it as shown if you are careful.
I was looking for this last night and could not locate. I followed these instruction when I reworked my bike. While I had it all apart I put loctite on the drum bolt.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #221
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

ummmm oh yeah... itsa '97 it has the kickstart on the right side of the bars
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #222
meck13
Esq.

coffe in one hand, thumb on the button

My brother has a 91 dr350s and that thing is a beast to start at all times.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #223
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284672

Some of you guys might find this amusing
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #224
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Here is a bit of useful knowledge.
I almost feel like a KLR owner

The clutch on the DR350 seemed to be just about done, now I know what the guy who sold it to me meant when he said "The clutch has been done". I guess he meant as in cooked done.

on Tuesday I ordered the thrust washers and clutch cover gasket from the local Suzuki dealer. Great dealership BTW! If anyone near Lumberton NC wants a good deal on a Honda or Suzuki, this is the place to get it! I doubt you will be able to beat their prices. DS inventory as of Friday..... o7 or 06 DR650, DRZ400, DRZ400SM, XR650L, and a Wee.
Ok, back on to the story.... I also had an EBC clutch kit from Rocky Mt. ATV ordered too. Oh, I highly recommend them, shipping is very prompt!

Yesterday morning, I was off work, so I decided to see what comes in. Off to the Zuki dealer. No parts have arrived, due to slacker delivery drivers.
The Clutch did show up at BigMaggots farm, so off I go to do atleast that much. We had planned to do the valve adjusement anyways, so we might as well do it all.

No pix as my hands we covered in oil, figured I'd state that up front.
We get the all the required parts removed, such as the seat, tank, side panels, etc.. The first thing is, the 10 year old gasket was intact, !
No metal shavings in the case, everything looked normal! WooT!
We get all the disk and plates out, bearings, etc. Only thing that needs replacing is the cluth plates and the thrust washers.

Here is the funny part, Since the thrust washers did not come in, what were we going to do? Wel...., this is where the KLR owners will get a kick, we simply turned them over, that right ! Only one side was worn, so we just flipped 'em. We laughed and swore we need to see if KLR was under the DR tank stickers.

The test ride told us that everything works like a champ! No "hard to find neutral, no clutch slippage / vibrations.
SO a little tip for you DR owners, if the washers are NOT too awful worn, just flip them over.

I will replace them when the new ones come in, and keep the gaset for future use. I just thought it was a funny R&R story.

I am not done painting the bike just yet. I have the tank to paint, (that is until I find a replacement) and the seat to recover. THe seat does not need to be replaced, it is in good shape, just a bit faded, a bit too purple, and a bit too yellow.
I am blacking this bastard out! So the fenders have been sanded and rattle canned flat black. Tomorrow the tank. I am going to be a cheap bastage and see if the local Upholstery shop has a scrap piece that I can have out of the trash... that right a black piece.

What paint should I use on the rims and hubs?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #225
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
painting nice, clear annodized aluminum rims would just be wrong imho. If you must have a different color buy annodized excel rims:)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote