ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #2281
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn0tt0
Does anyone know if the Maier rear fender that Keintech sells will work fine with the rear subframe? I don't mind if the subframe is sticking out or anything, just as long as everything bolts up.

Also, has anyone ever bought the DR350 rack from Precision Motorcycle Racks (here)? If so, I have an installation question:
John, I'm not sure about the "sub frame" issue but a quick call to Jesse will give you all the info you need.

As far as the rack goes, I've never seen the one you posted in person but I have seen the one in the link below on a couple of DR350's and it's a top quality item.
Thinking about picking one up for myself.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DR-350-Luggage-Rack-DR350-and-DR250-Any-Color_W0QQitemZ230353021874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a21c2bb2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171#ebayphotohostin g
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #2282
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven
 
z@ch's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tejas Norte
Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit
John, I'm not sure about the "sub frame" issue but a quick call to Jesse will give you all the info you need.

As far as the rack goes, I've never seen the one you posted in person but I have seen the one in the link below on a couple of DR350's and it's a top quality item.
Thinking about picking one up for myself.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DR-350-Luggage-Rack-DR350-and-DR250-Any-Color_W0QQitemZ230353021874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a21c2bb2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171#ebayphotohostin g
that's the one I had. VERY sturdy.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #2283
Spook 013
f.k.a. j0hn0tt0
 
Spook 013's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit
John, I'm not sure about the "sub frame" issue but a quick call to Jesse will give you all the info you need.

As far as the rack goes, I've never seen the one you posted in person but I have seen the one in the link below on a couple of DR350's and it's a top quality item.
Thinking about picking one up for myself.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DR-350-Luggage-Rack-DR350-and-DR250-Any-Color_W0QQitemZ230353021874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a21c2bb2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171#ebayphotohostin g
Good point, I should just ask Jesse myself.

That is a sweet rack, but I already bought the one I've shown above. The main reason that I bought that one is that I didn't yet see the one you've shown. Maybe I'll just fab something up to link my rack with the grab rail or sub frame.
Spook 013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #2284
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn0tt0

Then, there's another mount underneath the rack that doesn't line up with anything. Do I just drill a hole through the fender and mount it to the plastic? That doesn't seem very secure or sturdy to me...?
I would imagine that it bolts straight into the inner fender support (sub frame) which is quite similar to the rack that I posted the link to.

Do you have the rack in hand yet? Did it come with destruction's?

I doubt you'll have any problems, maybe you will only need a drill, dremel, milling machine, mig welder, blueprint, permit from your local building dept, and at the most... the "Jaws of Life"

I'm guessing it will fit with little or no problem.

Post a pic when you get it installed if you can.
Good luck!
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #2285
Spook 013
f.k.a. j0hn0tt0
 
Spook 013's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit
I doubt you'll have any problems, maybe you will only need a drill, dremel, milling machine, mig welder, blueprint, permit from your local building dept, and at the most... the "Jaws of Life"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit
I would imagine that it bolts straight into the inner fender support (sub frame) which is quite similar to the rack that I posted the link to.

Do you have the rack in hand yet? Did it come with destruction's?

I'm guessing it will fit with little or no problem.

Post a pic when you get it installed if you can.
Good luck!
I do have it in hand. It doesn't line up with anything. It came with mounting hardware for that mount, which consists of a screw, lock nut, and a very large washer (1.5-2" OD). I couldn't find any destructions, instructions, or anything in between.

Oh well...this should be interesting.

In other news, I installed an MRS universal clutch perch with one-touch adjustment along with a lube of my clutch cable and...WOW, what a difference! I can pull in the clutch lever with 1 finger now, as opposed to needing my whole hand to yank that formerly squeaky bastard back.
Spook 013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #2286
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 869
Got it apart tonight and didn't look as bad as I was thinking. Head looks fine. Has a lot of flaky carbon on the piston and what looks like some corrosion on the bore. The oil ring is tight in it's groove and may be part of the problem. Going to have it measured tomorrow to see what's up.





Here's the one that freaked me out, why is one side of the crank blued?
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #2287
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40
Got it apart tonight and didn't look as bad as I was thinking. Head looks fine. Has a lot of flaky carbon on the piston and what looks like some corrosion on the bore. The oil ring is tight in it's groove and may be part of the problem. Going to have it measured tomorrow to see what's up.





Here's the one that freaked me out, why is one side of the crank blued?
How many miles?
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #2288
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 869
Dunno P.O. had it converted to motard for awhile, and before him, who knows.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #2289
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,500
Looks like it's been running rich for a while. You might be able to clean the bore up with honing stones (as opposed to having to bore it). If you can get the cross-hatching back, it might be OK. A new set of rings would be nice, too.
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #2290
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,531
I can't say for sure about it, but that bluing looks like a metal hardening treatment. Blue colored steel comes from heat, usually from the hardening process since these engines can't get hot enough to generate that coloring without seizing up and never moving again.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #2291
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,699
I have joined the fold. Say hello to:
Project ignorance




I traded my tagged 05 XR650R for a Tiger and needed another bike for Motard/Dual sporting.

I was looking for a tagged WR450 and gave up. Here's some of what I have planned.

The shock will come off this weekend and be taken to Rick. I hope to get everything installed minus the suspension before Monday.

Rick (Cogent Dynamics) is going to do some funky ceramic coating on the shock and add rebound adjustment while he is springing and valving it.

I'll take the forks to him once I've gotten the new triples mounted.

Fully adjustable 88 RM 125 forks. I scored the entire front end, brakes wheel and all for 300. Pretty good I think and I huge step up from the stock stuff.









Everything is here but the complete 88 RM125 front end and the moose riser/adapters and Pastrana freestyle bars.

I haven't found an OEM WR450 muffler yet.

Lets play name that part.



I'll still have my stock front wheel to relace a 17" rim to. I'm going to try and

find a used late model DR350 rear wheel with a cush drive and lace a 17" to that.

I'll update as I progress.
__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #2292
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
I have joined the fold. Say hello to:
Project ignorance




I traded my tagged 05 XR650R for a Tiger and needed another bike for Motard/Dual sporting.

I was looking for a tagged WR450 and gave up. Here's some of what I have planned.

The shock will come off this weekend and be taken to Rick. I hope to get everything installed minus the suspension before Monday.

Rick (Cogent Dynamics) is going to do some funky ceramic coating on the shock and add rebound adjustment while he is springing and valving it.

I'll take the forks to him once I've gotten the new triples mounted.

Fully adjustable 88 RM 125 forks. I scored the entire front end, brakes wheel and all for 300. Pretty good I think and I huge step up from the stock stuff.









Everything is here but the complete 88 RM125 front end and the moose riser/adapters and Pastrana freestyle bars.

I haven't found an OEM WR450 muffler yet.

Lets play name that part.



I'll still have my stock front wheel to relace a 17" rim to. I'm going to try and

find a used late model DR350 rear wheel with a cush drive and lace a 17" to that.

I'll update as I progress.


__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #2293
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,699
I already have a first question(s).

My 93 DR350S has (had) a key obviously, but it also has a big red on/off push button switch

on the right side bar. Do they all have the button in addition to the key? Also, mine has a capacitor instead of a battery.

I will not be reusing the stock gauges. Here's the weird part. Before I got too

far into this, I tried jumping the proper terminals that would normally hook the the ignition switch.

I confirmed that the gauges are not needed to make the bike run. It kick started just fine.

Out of curiosity, I removed the jumpers from the ignition wiring then kicked it again.

It fired right up. Strange. This made me think that a PO bypassed the ignition switch all together

and replaced it with the push button on/off on the right bar.

It would also explain why the battery is replaced with a capacitor.

Opinions? Thoughts?
__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #2294
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer
 
CodeMonkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40
Here's the one that freaked me out, why is one side of the crank blued?
I would be concerned too. I would expect that the crank has seen some heat of some sort on that side. I would pull apart the cases and look at the bearing and journal.
__________________
'09 Husaberg FE570
'99 Beta Alp
'04 Ducati MTS - sold
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #2295
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,310
I don't recall exactly but isn't that the side with the counter balancer?

Maybe it's a two piece crank with that side blues for some reason?

Does anyone have a pick of a stock crank to compare it to?
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014