Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #2521
6fiddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Aside from what you mentioned, it appears to be pretty stock (and in awesome condition). I also see an Acerbis 4.25 gallon tank and a SuperTrapp muffler. You may find the muffler to be snotty loud. I believe you'll have to remove too many discs to quiet it down and then you'll lose flow thru the motor & exhaust. You may want to find a stock muffler and then have it modified to remove a baffle and open up the outlet (for better flow but still quiet). Nicely done!
Thanks Bronco, I`ll follow up on the muffler. Hey, just in case I ever want to add a big bore kit (not saying I will), which manufacturer should I go with & what cc size?

6fiddy
6fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #2522
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331

I've though about trying the 441 big bore kit from Kientech engineering. only problem is that my 1992 DR350 motor is running so good, I'd feel guilty pulling it apart. I was also worried about reliability and the higher compression ratio. I called kientech and thumper racing. One had a 441 that's still going at 15 years and the other is still running strong with 25k miles on the 441 kit. Also i was told to use the compression release with my kick starter, and it would start up just as easy as ever. I'd like to hear more about the big bore kits myself.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #2523
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Anyone have experience installing the 441 kit?

How involved is it?

Weight?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #2524
straight cut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg
Hi,

I would like some as well for my black bike but I'm afraid that they're discontinued ,they were made by Polisport.

However I have given the black bike a makeover and fitted these made by B&B offroad in Aussie..... http://www.bboffroad.com.au/suzuki3.htm

We have an importer here in the UK........ http://www.demonmx.co.uk/index1.html

but I don't know if that would be any good to you.

cheers, Bob.
CRD France also made alloy protection plates like these
www.crd-international.com
straight cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #2525
Wavy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
New to the DR thing...

Hi all, I just picked up a '95 DR350, dirt version. This is my first dual sport, I am looking to do some gravel road/fire road stuff down in southern Ohio with a buddy who has a Transalp. The bike is not street legal in Ohio right now, but that's my goal because I want to ride roads to get to the off-road stuff, plus it might be fun buzzing back and forth to work as a change from my road bike. Someone who owned this bike before the PO did some suspension work on it, I think the forks are improved and it has a steering damper (a disk looking think that sits on the front fender). Also has a FMF pipe so I assume it's had some carb work done? Anyway, first things first, the pipe is too loud for getting out of my neighborhood or riding too much street. I'm looking for a stock pipe for it, and will make sure the jets and carb setup is right for that. If anyone wants to trade a stock pipe for the FMF let me know. And it needs a brake light to be legal here. I'm looking for suggestions/help. I'm really excited about the bike, the little I rode it was very fun, and hard to keep the front down! I have a title for it, but it says "off road use only." Has anyone converted a bike in Ohio to get a street title? Thanks for any and all input. I've started combing through this thread, it should take me awhile, but there's lots of good information here. Glad to be joining the DR crowd.
Attached Images

Wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #2526
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

I'm thinking about possibly getting the 441cc kit, but I'm not sure if it would fit on a DR250.

From what I understand the 350 and 250 are exactly the same except that the 350s have a different bore/stroke and different internal gear ratios.

Maybe the 441cc kit would fit, but I don't know if the different stroke of the 250 crank would mess things up.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #2527
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Jesse at Kientech would be able to tell you exactly what will fit - and probably sell you the most appropriate upgrade for your bike.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #2528
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,246
I think I just scored some inverted RM250 shocks, and a triple tree.

what else would be required to put these on the front of my dirt DR350?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #2529
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fiddy
Thanks Bronco, I`ll follow up on the muffler. Hey, just in case I ever want to add a big bore kit (not saying I will), which manufacturer should I go with & what cc size?
I see everyone here seems to think the 441 kit is the way to go. But, I recall a thread on MaxZuki where there was a discussion about the pros/cons of the 435/441 versus the 385/400. It really depends on what you want to do with the DR after you're done. If you're after a little more punch on the trail but want to keep it civilized, go with the smaller of the two. If you want a monster, go bigger. There quite a bit of ancillary work that needs to be done with the bigger kit (head work, bore, valves, cam[?]). You may want to join MaxZuki and research the archives. Look for posts by inmate 'gman'. He's done the most engine work and knows his stuff.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #2530
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I'm thinking about possibly getting the 441cc kit, but I'm not sure if it would fit on a DR250.

From what I understand the 350 and 250 are exactly the same except that the 350s have a different bore/stroke and different internal gear ratios.

Maybe the 441cc kit would fit, but I don't know if the different stroke of the 250 crank would mess things up.
The dr350 has a 71.2mm stroke and i think the dr250 has a 59 mm stroke. the 441 kit punches the bore out to around 89mm. 59x89mm i guess would be around 370cc's. Pretty close to the drz400 bore and stroke, 62x90mm. might be kind of cool, power might be up near the upper rev range. But the piston speed would be lower than a longer stroke engine. Might work if the pistons are the same. To short and the compression well be low. To long and it might smack into the head or crank. I haven't tried it, so i don't know if it would work.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #2531
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

DR250 big bore kit

OK.. sorry about all that above writing stuff. With the DR250 you could try the 346cc big bore kit . looks like thumper racing has them and you even get the jets to dial your carburetor in. They have a phone number, so you can talk to someone who has really done it.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #2532
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra
OK.. sorry about all that above writing stuff. With the DR250 you could try the 346cc big bore kit . looks like thumper racing has them and you even get the jets to dial your carburetor in. They have a phone number, so you can talk to someone who has really done it.
Without sounding trite, if the DR250 'big bore kit' is the same displacement as a DR350 motor, why wouldn't you just swap in a motor? Is the kit pretty cheap?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #2533
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
The dr350 has a 71.2mm stroke and i think the dr250 has a 59 mm stroke. the 441 kit punches the bore out to around 89mm. 59x89mm i guess would be around 370cc's. Pretty close to the drz400 bore and stroke, 62x90mm. might be kind of cool, power might be up near the upper rev range. But the piston speed would be lower than a longer stroke engine. Might work if the pistons are the same. To short and the compression well be low. To long and it might smack into the head or crank. I haven't tried it, so i don't know if it would work.
Hmmmmm.....

If the piston skirt is too long I guess I could put a 350 connecting rod on it, but at that point I might as well get a 350 crank too.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #2534
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Without sounding trite, if the DR250 'big bore kit' is the same displacement as a DR350 motor, why wouldn't you just swap in a motor? Is the kit pretty cheap?
I think it's around $500 or so. maybe more or less, depending on how much work ya do yourself. And your right. it would be easyer just to swap in a dr350 motor. But it would be diffront with a dr250 t0 350 big bore kit, because of the 59mm stroke. With a lower piton speed it should handle higher rpm's. Might be kind of like a smaller drz power band.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #2535
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I think it's around $500 or so. maybe more or less, depending on how much work ya do yourself. And your right. it would be easyer just to swap in a dr350 motor. But it would be diffront with a dr250 t0 350 big bore kit, because of the 59mm stroke. With a lower piton speed it should handle higher rpm's. Might be kind of like a smaller drz power band.
When you say piston speed are you referring to the speed at which the piston must move up and down at a given RPM due to stroke?

Like a long stroke motor piston would have to move faster to cover the stroke distance because of the increased stroke than compared to a shorter stroke motor?