User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #2731
eb00la
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Up for grabs.

Not sure if these are desirable parts, but I have a stock tank for a 95' DR350se with Petcock (missing two bolts/screws to attach, sorry) up for grabs.

I also have a stock muffler, it's got some surface rust on it, but nothing crazy that I can see. I do have all the bolts for these. Just to be honest, I believe there is a lose baffle in the muffler that makes a noise in the muffler.

But if anyone wants it... PM me.
eb00la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #2732
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
16t Cs

Hey Mark ...

Keep us informed on how the 16T CS fits and also how it performs ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650ryder
Thanks for the info, I finally found a CS through SunStar, the name of the Distrubutor is MXMegastore: http://www.mxmegastore.com. $23.00 total with shipping. Lists at the Sunstar site at $22, part number is 32316 or 520-16.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #2733
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra
Wow!!! 81 mpg, that's good. do you have any modifications to your fuel or exhaust system?
Yeah, the air box has the 3x3 hole, I've got Jesse's adj. air/fuel screw and adj. needle, bigger jets and Jesse did the muffler mod. Far from stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
What was the performance like before?

I hear people "uncork" it to get more high speed/high RPM power, is the difference big enough to be worth the cut in fuel economy?
I didn't ride too long on the stock bike. And, I should actually explain a little. My first DR was a '97. I rode it in stock form so long ago, I really don't recall what it was like. I do remember that the carb had a 'studder' or 'lag' between 3000-3500 rpm. With the mods, it's significantly less and only around 3K now. When I bought the '99, I swapped everything over immediately. I don't own the DR because of its fuel economy. I chose it because of its reputation as a bullet proof dual sport. While I enjoy working on it, I don't enjoy fixing it trail-side. It's done everything I've asked of it and I'm convinced it's more capable than I. IMO, yes, the mods were well worth the fuel economy trade off.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #2734
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxcr
I'm thinking about a 99 dr350 with 27,000 miles. If I had the cash I'd look for a lower mileage one but the guy is willing to trade for my KDX200 which I've haven't been able to sell. He lives to far away to go and look a it but he sent pics. I pretty much have to commit with out seeing it. Thoughts? Also about what speed will theses cruise at without winding the engine up to bad? Thanks
IMO, I wouldn't buy anything sight unseen. You're just asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
i tried to get one of my buddies to buy this thing... i mean damn, if i didn't already have this exact bike... i would be on it.

99 dr350se, 2800 miles at a good price.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/1316628694.html
That is a killer deal. No 'ifs', 'ands' or 'buts'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWman
My bike is leaking oil behind the kickstart wer the right side cover bolts on. I know i need a gasket and im pretty sure its called a clutch cover gasket. is that right?
That would be correct.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #2735
scooterjunkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Christmas in August

My mufler and jet kit is on it's way back from Jesse's. I'm excited but nobody would understand but fellow DR350 riders! I was going to wait until winter but I just had lasik surgery last week so I'm temporarily banned from dusty environments for another couple of weeks.

So far the mods are limited to the 4.2 clarke tank, procycle skid plate, fender chop, airbox mod and now exhaust. Maybe some dirtbagz one day....

Here's a photo dodging rain storms on the way to West Fest (this is why dirtbagz are on the list!):
1966 Honda CL77
scooterjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #2736
od al
Just aint right

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
......I don't own the DR because of its fuel economy. I chose it because of its reputation as a bullet proof dual sport. While I enjoy working on it, I don't enjoy fixing it trail-side. It's done everything I've asked of it and I'm convinced it's more capable than I. IMO, yes, the mods were well worth the fuel economy trade off.
+1 I couldn't agree more. It seems thhe perfect bike for riding the Colorado Rockies. Admittedly I haven't had it over 10k feet yet but it does oh so well everywhere I have been and to date it's never let me down or left me on the side of the trail.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #2737
650ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey Mark ...

Keep us informed on how the 16T CS fits and also how it performs ....
Definately will do, I got a big surprise when digging through my box of goodies that came with the bike, two case guards, one new one used. Now I can have one guard filed down just for the 16t CS, email today said should before the end of the week.
---------------------------------
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost!
650ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #2738
650ryder
Adventurer

I think I may be getting closer to the Rich condition I Have

I have checked the plug and like I stated before no problems running the bike, just poor MPG's. I decided to open up the SuperTrapp and see how many discs were running, there were 4 and they were black. Now If I remember correctly the fewer discs the richer the bike runs, so I cleaned them up and added the other 4 that came in the box of goodies. I will run it tomorrow and see how it feels. It really does not sound a whole lot louder, but of course it is, but not too bad, not as loud as the KLR or the XR600 I had. Compared to those it is quiet, maybe I just needed to lean out the exhaust a bit to match the airbox and jetting better, I hope. The worst that can happen is that I have to take some discs out, pretty easy. Time will tell, I'll have to check the plug again and see how it looks after a few rides.
Just an FYI, I'm sure most of you already know, the Clymers manual gives the spark plug for that bike as an NGK DPR9EA-9, that is wrong. I ordered 4 of them and they don't fit, thread pattern is not even close, much more coarse than the correct plug which is an NGK-CR9EK, far cry from the recomended plug in the manual. Just something to be aware of, now my bike is a 94 and may be different, but still, the good plug is $8.05, compared to $2.99 for the wrong one.
Anyway, what do you think about the adding discs? it should lean out the exhaust, right? The richer exhaust may explain why the bike ran so well yesterday at such high altitudes.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #2739
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Yeah, the air box has the 3x3 hole, I've got Jesse's adj. air/fuel screw and adj. needle, bigger jets and Jesse did the muffler mod. Far from stock.
I didn't ride too long on the stock bike. And, I should actually explain a little. My first DR was a '97. I rode it in stock form so long ago, I really don't recall what it was like. I do remember that the carb had a 'studder' or 'lag' between 3000-3500 rpm. With the mods, it's significantly less and only around 3K now. When I bought the '99, I swapped everything over immediately. I don't own the DR because of its fuel economy. I chose it because of its reputation as a bullet proof dual sport. While I enjoy working on it, I don't enjoy fixing it trail-side. It's done everything I've asked of it and I'm convinced it's more capable than I. IMO, yes, the mods were well worth the fuel economy trade off.
Thanks just what i needed to know. Are you using an adjustable needle and what grove is it set at? I still have my CV carburetor, and i might put it back on just to compare results with the pumper. If your getting 81 mpg it sounds like your getting power and economy.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #2740
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Note, 81mpg is not normal, even for a stock bike. IIRC that figured was achieved at high altitude which will make most bikes get much better fuel economy (my bandit 1250 is in the mid-high 40's at sea level and gets 60 at altitude for example). Most folks report around 60mpg for a stock DR350.

have fun!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #2741
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I'm at sea level. And the roads around here are not flat. But if i can keep my engine mods and still get near stock mpg, I'll be happy. Just good to hear you can still do a few exhaust and intake mods, and get good mileage.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #2742
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Note, 81mpg is not normal, even for a stock bike. IIRC that figured was achieved at high altitude which will make most bikes get much better fuel economy (my bandit 1250 is in the mid-high 40's at sea level and gets 60 at altitude for example). Most folks report around 60mpg for a stock DR350.

have fun!

I'd kill to get 60!!

I average around 46 or so....CV with airbox mod and jetting stock 15/41

I have a lead hand....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #2743
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by od al
+1 I couldn't agree more. It seems thhe perfect bike for riding the Colorado Rockies. Admittedly I haven't had it over 10k feet yet but it does oh so well everywhere I have been and to date it's never let me down or left me on the side of the trail.

Quote:
Thanks just what i needed to know. Are you using an adjustable needle and what grove is it set at?
I have the adjustable needle and, iirc, it's in the middle groove.
Quote:
I still have my CV carburetor, and i might put it back on just to compare results with the pumper. If your getting 81 mpg it sounds like your getting power and economy.
No, no, no, I don't regularly get 81 mpg. Normal fuel economy, for me, is 55-60 mpg (@ 700' above sea level). When I got 81 mpg, I was at 7500'+ and obviously had leaned the carb out a little too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Thanks for clarifying BP!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #2744
eb00la
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart
Just curious. I just got a 350 with the plastic tank and any replacement decals I put on it bubble up from the gas that the plastic tank emits. Was that bedliner affected at all??
well that picture was just take the other day, and sadly i haven't even been able to turn the key. Waiting for a muffler and header pipe to arrive. I'm hoping it doesn't bubble up..... that would seriously suck. I'll keep ya posted, i'm sure i'll start ranting and complaining about what a mistake it was :)
eb00la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #2745
650ryder
Adventurer

Small changes big difference

Before adding the 4 discs to the supertrapp my gas mileage has been averaging 44+/- mpgs. The last fillup just about 20 minutes ago was 56 mpg. I like the difference already, I am hoping that was not just a fluke, but I think leaning up the exhaust made the difference. When I got the bike there were 4 discs in, I added 4 more for a total of 8 now. There are noticible differences all around, first no real loss of low end torque, mid range suffered some, upper range is much better. I can get up to 70 MPH quicker than before, so no dissapointments here. I may need to adjust the mixture screw, because where before no throttle was required to start, now I need to crack the throttle a bit to start it, just a little lean in the pilot/idle circuit. I'll go out about another 1/4 turn out and see how that works.

On another note, the 16t CS i ordered was supposed to ship yesterday, it is now delayed 2 weeks on back order. It seems that SunStar is the only manufacturer that makes a 16T CS for the DR350, there has to be another option. No worries though, my big tank is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and with my new and improved gas mileage i may not need the 16T afterall.