Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #3796
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
[quote=SloSolo2]Reading Distech's rebuild thread and looking at some of the black framed bikes in this thread pushed me over the edge. I've been hesitant to take my bike apart because I'm afraid it will never get put together again. Too late now.

I need to do the same thing. First I have another thumper to get running. (got to have a bike to ride) Then decide on what color frame, black, silver, or gray. Anyway take some pictures when you get it painted. I need to be pushed over the edge too!
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #3797
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra
I need to do the same thing. First I have another thumper to get running. (got to have a bike to ride) Then decide on what color frame, black, silver, or gray. Anyway take some pictures when you get it painted. I need to be pushed over the edge too!
I'm stuck on removing the steering, the manual calls for several special tools. I haven't searched yet but can you get it apart without the special tools?

Jamie

SloSolo2 screwed with this post 01-02-2010 at 06:52 PM
SloSolo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #3798
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
You shouldn't have to. I usually use a brass drift punch and a hammer to remove the collar, which should require the Suzuki brand tool. Other than that, shooting from the top of my head, I don't think so.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #3799
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Yea, what Kawidad said. The two I just took apart, I used a screwdriver and a hammer. One of em I could have just used my fingers, it was pretty loose.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #3800
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Almost Done

Except for not having a wrench large enough to remove the steering it's ready for cleaning and paint.

The process wasn't too hard but I know reassembly will be a lot tougher and a lot more expensive.

Jamie
Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #3801
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
Awesome! Happy New Year! Hey, Jamie can you do me a favor and take a picture of the left side plastic mount. It's kinda mashed on my S model and don't have a reference. Thanks.
PM sent

Jamie
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #3802
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I really want to strip my whole bike down like that to go give it a good cleaning, but I'm afraid of what I'd find and that I'd lose way too many pieces along the way.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #3803
Jay
Redbear Rides

Oddometer: 159
EPA Stickers?

Here is a a question for you rebuilders. My new-to-me 1998 had pretty beat up paint on the frame and some of the EPA and Suzuki stickers where bashed up pretty well. Not a big deal to me, but DMV took a dim view of it, and after some hemming and hawing the inspector finally signed off with a note that stickers were missing.

I know the car re-builders can find reproduction stickers for their classic cars. Does anyone make such things for bikes?
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S Yellowbear
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1980 Honda XR500 Big Red
2001 F650GS Dakar w/ Ural - Fast Kitty (Wife's Bike! )
Member: CCBR, AMA, BMWMOA, NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #3804
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Here is a a question for you rebuilders. My new-to-me 1998 had pretty beat up paint on the frame and some of the EPA and Suzuki stickers where bashed up pretty well. Not a big deal to me, but DMV took a dim view of it, and after some hemming and hawing the inspector finally signed off with a note that stickers were missing.

I know the car re-builders can find reproduction stickers for their classic cars. Does anyone make such things for bikes?
I live in SC what's an epeeay.

The only stickers on my frame are the one you see in the photo which states idle speed and another that states 1700ml near the oil fill. The rest of the info is stamped on a plate riveted to the steering head. It's funny you asked about the stickers though because I'd like to put them back but hadn't looked for the p/n yet.

I'm also thinking about how to mask the plate to ensure it doesn't get painted. I'd like to keep the edge brite but might have to settle for scraping it with a razor blade after paint to ensure there's no purple fringe.

Jamie
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #3805
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
Hello,

I am surching for a Mikuni TM33, the flatslide allso used on the DR350.
Has someone off you any idea who has a nice one to spare?
Who has a nice used one for sale?
I Would like to try one on my NX250, but I can't find one..
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #3806
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay

That's because of the "new" provision imposed on DMV by the CARB (now ARB) prohibiting the issuance of a street license for any motorcycle that was not originally designed and certified by the EPA for road use. Reproduction of those stickers is illegal under state and federal law.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #3807
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
the inspector finally signed off with a note that stickers were missing. I know the car re-builders can find reproduction stickers for their classic cars. Does anyone make such things for bikes?
You can order replacement stickers from your Suzuki dealer.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #3808
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,082
Thanks to my main man, matloik, and a little bit o' weldin, got me a tractor owner's manual tool box. Paint and more sturdy clamps are just around the corner. Thankya, matloik. You da' man!

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 03:46 PM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #3809
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Cam chain

While I've got the bike apart replacing the cam chain seems wise but it looks like I have to remove the clutch and primary drive gear to do so. Is that correct?

Also do you typically replace the guide and tensioner at the same time?

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #3810
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 610
Took the DR350 down to Big Bend for its first time. Except for the usual grumpy carburetor, the bike was absolutely wonderful. The beefy suspension nearly floated over Old Maverick Rd washboard, handled loose gravel and ledge like a charm, swam through the river like an otter (okay, charged through with throttle help and a loud "Yeehaw!!"), and pushed through the sand like a worm (granted, we rode shallow sand and silt, not deep sand). When power is needed it's there. When it has to climb, it's like a mountain goat. And picks its way down rock hills as if it was a hound.

On the other hand, the DR can be naughty sometimes and throw a cog in the good times. So good times like this.......

can become this.

The culprit was two little screws that mount the slide holder to the inside of the carb (deep down inside) wiggled loose and decided to disengage the throttle. No gas.

It ran like a charm after the carb was put back together, then I ran out of gas 1/2 mile from the Study Butte store/gas. Luckily I discovered it was that after switching to reserve.

The carb burped and coughed again a day or so later and required another cleaning. Little fishes in the bowl. We think cleaning the petcock and the tank is in order, and adding a fuel filter. Seems that any little precipitation will plug it somewhere.

Question is what fuel filter will fit the shorty line from the tank to the carb? Anyone got one on their DR?
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote