Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #3826
oo7alfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
did you inspect the condition of the dog gear while you had it open?
Which one is the dog gear? The 2 gears that interact with each other that the shift drum bolt holds in place were fine. Are you refering to something different?
oo7alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #3827
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7alfa
Which one is the dog gear? The 2 gears that interact with each other that the shift drum bolt holds in place were fine. Are you refering to something different?
The dog gear has sideways teeth that engage the gear to the shaft. The red arrow points to one of the dog teeth (this is not a DR transmission in the picture). These are the teeth that need to be inspected. What usually happens when these wear down is the transmission tends to pop out of gear while under power, which is not the problem you are having, but maybe there is some odd damage to your dog gear that is causing your problem

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #3828
oo7alfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85

oo7alfa screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 06:06 PM
oo7alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #3829
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7alfa
Ah, I assume to inspect this you would need to split the case. I have not gone that far, I only took off the side cover. I'm not sure I want to delve that deep into the problem myself.
yes, splitting the cases is required.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #3830
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 667
vacuum or not?

I recently picked up a 96 DR350 SE that had the stock vacuum lines from the pet cock to the carb. My p.c. was rotted and leaking so I replaced with a non-vacuum p.c. from a 95 DR parts catalog (only one bikebandit had in stock).

My bike runs great with other than a choppy idle and some back firing when letting off the throttle. I assume this is the non-vacuum issue or the bike is too lean and I have to adjust the needle. I've searched this thread and found some guys had success with the Raptor pet cock. Anyone know why this is the one to get and what year and model to look for?

I also pulled the spark plug and it is not white, but seemed dark with lots of charcoal bits on the tip. Almost looked like it was too rich, instead of too lean.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #3831
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
What did you do with the vacuum line that used to go to the petcock? It needs to be sealed off, otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak. Otherwise I don't think your running issue is related to the petcock swap.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #3832
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
What did you do with the vacuum line that used to go to the petcock? It needs to be sealed off, otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak. Otherwise I don't think your running issue is related to the petcock swap.
When I plug/seal the original vacuum line to the side of the carb(from the petcock), bike doesn't want to run at all. I ended up putting a small tube and filter on the end and tucking it up under the seat.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #3833
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Pumper + Can opened up

Convince me not to get a pumper carb kit from Jesse (www.kientech.com) for my '98 SE. And at the same time send my can to him to open up. Currently I'm running the stock CV with jets from Jesse; and airbox is cut open. My bike idles smooth and runs strong, as can be with this setup. Eh?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #3834
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy
When I plug/seal the original vacuum line to the side of the carb(from the petcock), bike doesn't want to run at all. I ended up putting a small tube and filter on the end and tucking it up under the seat.

I just shoved a machine screw in mine and called it good.
Bike runs exactly the same as it did before I swapped tanks/eliminated vacuum petcock.
I am with BP that hose needs to be sealed. You have some other issues.

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #3835
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
To be absolutely sure, which part of the carb does that line go to?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #3836
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Does anyone have experience with SuperTrapp mufflers? Is the QuietCore really equivalent to stock noise levels?
I have a ten year old 4" model on an XR500 and it doesn't make too much noise. Anyone try it on a DR350 at highway speed?
How much do they weigh? I found the catalog on their web site but there is no weight info.
Thanks in advance, Jay
I have one on my bench, it's very light, I'd say 25% of the factory muffler. But it's pretty loud even with only two disks installed.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #3837
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy
Fuggy, your bike is running way too rich, given what you say here and in the earlier post addressing the soot on the plug.

The vacuum port on the side of the CV carb should be plugged off entirely if you don't need the vacuum for the pet cock. The air coming through the vacuum tube (and the filter you installed) is apparently needed to get the mixture lean enough to run. That's just wrong.

IMHO, you need to investigate why the mixture is so rich before you do much else. If you have a box stock SE, it's unlikely that someone has changed the primary jet and probably unlikely that someone has adjusted the idle mixture needle incorrectly. Maybe the float valve is leaking?

Um, the choke is pushed in, yes?

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #3838
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc
Fuggy, your bike is running way too rich, given what you say here and in the earlier post addressing the soot on the plug.

The vacuum port on the side of the CV carb should be plugged off entirely if you don't need the vacuum for the pet cock. The air coming through the vacuum tube (and the filter you installed) is apparently needed to get the mixture lean enough to run. That's just wrong.

IMHO, you need to investigate why the mixture is so rich before you do much else. If you have a box stock SE, it's unlikely that someone has changed the primary jet and probably unlikely that someone has adjusted the idle mixture needle incorrectly. Maybe the float valve is leaking?

Um, the choke is pushed in, yes?
Yes, choke is pushed in. Vacuum port is plugged on the carb (opposite side of chock/throttle spring). After looking at the spark plug, I agree mixture is too rich. I will play w/idle mixture screw and see if that helps. Last night I did change the needle position(one notch down, or less lean) and it did not seem to make a difference.

I also have a White Bros 'E-Series' pipe on it with a spark arrest, I wonder if that is contributing to the popping/backfire noise when letting off throttle?

Thanks for the help guys, I've learned a ton from this thread already.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #3839
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
It's also possible that your idle speed is set too low and it has been relying on the extra air leaking in to keep running. Just another idea to investigate.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #3840
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts
It's also possible that your idle speed is set too low and it has been relying on the extra air leaking in to keep running. Just another idea to investigate.
This is likely the answer.

Also, the needle won't have a big affect on the idle mixture, for that you need to look at the idle mixture screw and the pilot jet. Needle mostly affects 1/4-3/4 throttle openings.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote