ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #4276
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
As a second bike I would be all over it. But as my one and only it sounds like it would need to much to keep it on the road. The point of getting it would be to try to get as much of the upcoming riding season as possible. Kinda counterintuitive if its in pieces half the time. Scouring CL gets harder when its 70 out. Ready to pull the trigger on somethin
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #4277
luni
A51 Tour Guide
 
luni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hoke County
Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
I'm a noob 33k on a bike that's been ridden hard and put away wet sounds like trouble. I'm looking for something I can jump on at 5AM, hit the e-start, and go to work, without having to bleed a goat, draw a pentagram, light the candles, roll it to the center, give it 2 and 3/4 kick starts, pump the clutch twice, and then kick again just to get it out of the driveway.

I think a late 90s SE would fit the bill a lot better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
I got a feeling the KTM would be like a hot girlfriend so fun to be with just not trust worthy.

luni screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 08:09 AM
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #4278
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I am looking for a stock carb for a DR350S 1990
it's got single throttle cable if that matters.

let me know what you got, I guess one from a DR350, DR350SE DR 350 SE S would work as well.

trying to help a friend get his bike back on the road.

thx
christian
I can also trade for devol front and rear brake disk guards.
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #4279
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer
 
xKLR_John's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Franklinton, NC
Oddometer: 857
aha!

Thanks for the kickstarting tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
.... without having to bleed a goat, draw a pentagram, light the candles, roll it to the center, give it 2 and 3/4 kick starts, pump the clutch twice, and then kick again just to get it out of the driveway......
xKLR_John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #4280
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,632
great idea on the numberplate cover!

Ive been wanting to find a set of those frame guards to splash some out of fiberglass ( you could add DYE to the resin)
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #4281
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
I'm a noob 33k on a bike that's been ridden hard and put away wet sounds like trouble. I'm looking for something I can jump on at 5AM, hit the e-start, and go to work, without having to bleed a goat, draw a pentagram, light the candles, roll it to the center, give it 2 and 3/4 kick starts, pump the clutch twice, and then kick again just to get it out of the driveway.

I think a late 90s SE would fit the bill a lot better.
Guess I was just wondering how you reached that conclusion between your first post and the one announcing it was too much of a turd to bother with...


Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
Lookin to pick up my first bike. I've been trying to chase down a DRZ but they're just out of my price range. Then a modded dr350 popped up for $1000 just over the border.
Quote:
1995 DR350s Bored to a 441cc
Cobra muffler,Renthal bars, Baja light kit, O-ring chain, cigarette plug for charging phone or running gps...etc,Bark busters
Bike runs like a charm, plenty of power. Currently has knobby tires,100% street legal. Bike has very little rust for being 15 yrs old.
Title in hand. If full price is met i will supply tags and ipod ready helmet.


Called up the seller, it's got 33,000 miles on the clock with an engine rebuild 6000 miles ago. Forgot to ask why he was selling it.

Worth it? Over my head? Holy shit FNG are you serious? Buy it and give it a Viking Funeral?

Primarily commuter, around town errand bitch, with the occasional weekend single track. Longest trip would be 6 hours out the dragon but I've got friends in NY/VT that are calling my names and telling me to get my ass up there.

Brutally honest opinions appreciated, it isn't my bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
As a second bike I would be all over it. But as my one and only it sounds like it would need to much to keep it on the road. The point of getting it would be to try to get as much of the upcoming riding season as possible. Kinda counterintuitive if its in pieces half the time. Scouring CL gets harder when its 70 out. Ready to pull the trigger on somethin
Other than any suspension improvements on the newer model which are unlikely to be noticed by a first time bike owner, 1995 or 1999 - what real difference does it make? They're both 'aged' bikes. If it's in decent shape and maintained it may be just what you need.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #4282
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I can also trade for devol front and rear brake disk guards.
Christian, check your private messages
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #4283
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
WB-PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Where young people go to retire
Oddometer: 3,731


When I got it... Now it is looking like this...



Not really all that much invested (yet) either! Just have to finish getting the jetting sorted.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #4284
saddlsor
my butt hurts
 
saddlsor's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
I want more details

Mainly, what do your modified brackets look like?
sorry it took so long to get to this but I've been busy for once. here's a pic from the front of the bike looking up. you can see the top engine mounts where I took out the front bolt and replaced it with a piece of all thread so I had threads on both sides. then I ran a piece of flatstock from the allthread up to the molded in bolt holes in the tank. its just a matter of getting everything in place where you want it and drilling holes. I used foam rubber to add a little more heighth to the frame backbone. at the back end the seat holds it down since the seat hooks under a metal piece bolted to the frame. hope that helps. if you need more let me know, I should have taken pics when I mounted it but I didn't have a camera at the time.

saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #4285
A Feral Hamster
Instant Mess
 
A Feral Hamster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eustis, FL
Oddometer: 45
WB, that this is so badass now. you did an amazing job. Kudos!
__________________
Dyslexics of the world untie!

All of my friends and I are crazy.Thats what keeps us sane!
A Feral Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #4286
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlsor
sorry it took so long to get to this but I've been busy for once. here's a pic from the front of the bike looking up. you can see the top engine mounts where I took out the front bolt and replaced it with a piece of all thread so I had threads on both sides. then I ran a piece of flatstock from the allthread up to the molded in bolt holes in the tank. its just a matter of getting everything in place where you want it and drilling holes. I used foam rubber to add a little more heighth to the frame backbone. at the back end the seat holds it down since the seat hooks under a metal piece bolted to the frame. hope that helps. if you need more let me know, I should have taken pics when I mounted it but I didn't have a camera at the time.
Thanks, looks simple enough.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #4287
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX





Not really all that much invested (yet) either! Just have to finish getting the jetting sorted.
Great job!

If you're looking for some fork boots to protect the seals you may be interested in "Shock Sox"

You don't need to disassemble anything to install them, they wrap around the forks and are held on with Velcro.
I have a set on my Honda XL and they work great.

If you do decide to order them, call first. They're made for USD forks so the logo will be upside down ... just tell them that you have traditional forks and they'll put the logo on so it's right side up, or ask for no logo at all.

http://www.bermmotorsports.com/shocksox.php


Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #4288
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
WB-PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Where young people go to retire
Oddometer: 3,731
I have actual new black gaiters waiting to go on, when I get around to installing new fork seals.

The bike is 95%, not quite 100%. You can see my build thread here in Thumpers.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #4289
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX
I have actual new black gaiters waiting to go on, when I get around to installing new fork seals.

The bike is 95%, not quite 100%. You can see my build thread here in Thumpers.
Nice looking bike!


Where'd you get the black gaitors?
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #4290
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
WB-PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Where young people go to retire
Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Nice looking bike!


Where'd you get the black gaitors?
They are the DayStars from Rocky Mountain ATV. I had read in a few places that they are a good fit. I think I had to choose their largest model.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014