Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #31
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
Does the DR350S/SE (or DR250S/SE) allow for fitting kickstart AND keeping the electric starter?

And what about vice versa, do the kickstart versions allow fitting the electric starter and keeping the kicker?

searched, didn't find the answer.

Trying to decide between the earlier kickstart models and the newer e-starts. I am finding a significant price difference between them.

I am new to bikes and have never kickstarted one.

I plan on using a DR for daily driver duty and everything else, including very remote backcountry,

I imagine not having a battery as a concern would be a benefit in remote areas. The kickstart seems to have a reliability advantage. I have also read, and can imagine, that the e-start must be nice on restarts on hills.

The reported difficulties with kickstarting the DR have me a little concerned...particularly when using it as a daily driver.

I figure having both would be ideal. I know the DRZ has both, but 1) it's not factory street legal in the US and 2) I read the engine won't run without a battery (2001 Dirt Bike Mag online article),
snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #32
cpunzy
Adventurer in the making.

Oddometer: 24
mine is a 96 dirt model that has been dual sported, kick only
there are no holes or any thing for a starter. it does have a very small
battery pack on it. Im guessing its just so the brake light can work if
engine dies?
been my daily driver for a couple months now, and love it.
cpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #33
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpunzy
mine is a 96 dirt model that has been dual sported, kick only
there are no holes or any thing for a starter. it does have a very small
battery pack on it. Im guessing its just so the brake light can work if
engine dies?
been my daily driver for a couple months now, and love it.
Some states require the battery on a bike/car to power the lights for 15 min with the engine off. That's the reason for the battery pack on the baja/dual sport kits.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #34
cpunzy
Adventurer in the making.

Oddometer: 24
thanks Yater, thats kinda what I thought, but wasnt sure, mine is the Baja kit
cpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #35
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare
Does the DR350S/SE (or DR250S/SE) allow for fitting kickstart AND keeping the electric starter?

And what about vice versa, do the kickstart versions allow fitting the electric starter and keeping the kicker?

searched, didn't find the answer.

Trying to decide between the earlier kickstart models and the newer e-starts. I am finding a significant price difference between them.

I am new to bikes and have never kickstarted one.

I plan on using a DR for daily driver duty and everything else, including very remote backcountry,

I imagine not having a battery as a concern would be a benefit in remote areas. The kickstart seems to have a reliability advantage. I have also read, and can imagine, that the e-start must be nice on restarts on hills.

The reported difficulties with kickstarting the DR have me a little concerned...particularly when using it as a daily driver.

I figure having both would be ideal. I know the DRZ has both, but 1) it's not factory street legal in the US and 2) I read the engine won't run without a battery (2001 Dirt Bike Mag online article),
Why do you say the DRZ are not legal ? Get an "S" model and you won't have troubles.

You would really be better off with a newer DRZ, I had 2 , and I had 2 DR350 also. DRZ is way better all around
Old 07-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #36
snare
sittin and breathin

I was speaking specifically of the DRZ250, not the 400. Sorry I wasn't clear.

So, does anyone know what the dual sport kits for the DR350/250 (dirt models) come with? not a battery then, I guess?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #37
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,060
kicker on electric start model

I have a 1997 DR 350se and it has a plug on the side of the case for a kicker but I'm not sure if one will just bolt right on or if I need to buy something else for it? I would love to have the kicker as a back up. Anyone have any info??
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #38
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was speaking specifically of the DRZ250, not the 400. Sorry I wasn't clear.

So, does anyone know what the dual sport kits for the DR350/250 (dirt models) come with? not a battery then, I guess?
They come ready to plug and go. I put one on a '98 dirt model and it was easy. Everything is tucked neatly into the headlight shroud (horn, battery, regulator/rectifyer, high-beam indicator....also, tail light and turn signals) and instructions are easy to follow...takes <1 hour to set up.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #39
snare
sittin and breathin

thanks yater...and that was the Baja Designs kit?

Did you like the dirt model better? and if so, what about it did you like better?
any disadvantages to the dirt model for all around daily driver/street/dirt use? any advantages?

the differences between street and dirt are:

adjustable compression and damping on the dirt model

pumper carb

came with kickstart only

is that correct? anything else?

been searching for a couple months now.

anyone seen this?

http://dirthighway.net/dr350/90US_catalog/index.html
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #40
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Yep, you've got the differences between the off road and on-road models down I think. Also, the newer off-road models had cartridge forks while the dual sport models didn't get them till 98 (I think the off road models got them in 96, but not sure).

Also, all the obvious stuff like keyed ignition, steel rear fender support, helmet lock, instruments and all the usual street gear.

A kick-starter can easily be added to the e-start models, several people have done it and I've seen a detailed writeup somewhere with pics and everything of the instal. It looked quite straightforward.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #41
khead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Here's a thread on adding a kickstart:

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...&topic=42065.0

The 98 and 99 street models have the same suspension components as the dirt models.

I have a 98SE which I'm real happy with as a practical one bike solution for transportation and good trail performance. It's at its best in eastern style, tight, gnarly type of trails. Seriously needs stronger springs in the front, and a revalve in the rear for more than casual speeds offroad. Frame flex will limit it if you want to do high speed riding in more open areas.

I'm real happy having the e-start - worth the extra weight for me.

I've just been stripping off all the street crud that I don't really need.
khead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #42
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
thanks yater...and that was the Baja Designs kit?

Did you like the dirt model better? and if so, what about it did you like better?
Yes, I'm talking about the baja designs kit. The two bikes are different...the dirt model is a better dirtbike and the pumper is a huge step above the cv. The dirt model can easily be made into everything the se is on the road....but not the other way around.

As for the kickstart on the se....you don't need it. I've killed my battery while charging an ipod overnight (passed out with the thing on)....it bumps right up in the morning (push start). I'm not the least bit concerned about being stranded with a dead battery on these little bikes....or a 650 for that matter
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #43
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

The pumper can also be put on the street model with minimal work and I can verify it makes a HUGE difference in throttle response

I normally would be biased toward the off road models as they are lighter and I really value that. However, I chose street model DR's as I mostly ride on the street and commute with my DR's and a legit title, key, e-start and all the other street goodies (that are worthless off road) suddenly make a lot of sense for such utilitarian purposes. If the bike is purely for recreation I would have gone with a dirt model I suspect. With the exception of E-start and perhaps title a dirt model can be made a street model without terrible trouble and vice versa, but doing either would probably cost more than it would to sell one and buy the other. However if you find you need the street goodies and want something close to the performance of the dirt model a pumper carb and a bit of suspension work go a long way imho:)

Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #44
snare
sittin and breathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Also, the newer off-road models had cartridge forks while the dual sport models didn't get them till 98 (I think the off road models got them in 96, but not sure).
Thanks!

I saw your post on your 350. I am hooked. Just trying to find one I can afford that best meets my needs. Can't wait.

Anyone know for sure when the cartridge forks first appeared on the dirt models?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #45
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

If it helps any there were two types of cartridge forks. The first type had cast aluminum loweres and looked just like normal conventional forks (cartridge or otherwise), visibaly not much different than the damper rod forks on the older models or say the cartridge forks on an XR650L, XR600 or late '80s CR250R. Then in I think '98 both the dirt model (which had normal looking cartridge forks and the street model which has similar looking damper rod forks) got updated cartridge forks with what look like machined lower tubes pressed into cast axle clamps. They have a lot less underhang, but to my knowedge have no other benifit other than looking cool. They happen to look a lot like the DR650SE forks on 96+ models, only as it happens the DR650SE forks while cool looking have damper rod internals.