Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #5311
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF
I'm having a hell of a time finding a 41 tooth rear steel sprocket for the DR (93 S). Does anyone have a link?
Contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics. He'll fix you up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by threefivezreo
Ok, I was digging through the previous owners notes and reciepts. And found the following. "Installed JX Needle and spring, opened up pilot jet with #78 drill bit and main jet 145 installed." Was this a common practice? The bike is running a bit rich, but nothing I'd go messing with at this time.

Also what kind of oil consuption is normal? After 350miles I needed to add about 400ml to bring it to mid level on the dipstick.

1997 SE with a Supertrapp IDS2 slip on, and 3X4 hole in the top of the airbox. Stock carb....Non pumper...boo
I've always been a little leery of drilling the pilot jet(s). It's just way too easy to open up the hole too big because the drill bit isn't 90º to the work. The main jet appears to be a bit rich. I'm running at about 800' above sea level (Chicago) and have a 140 main and 40 pilot. I do have Jesse's needle with the circlip in the middle slot. I'm not quite sure how Jesse's needle compares to the JX needle with respect to profile (but I'd guess they're similar). I don't think the JX needle has the adjustable grooves/circlip, you have to adjust with shims.

My engine doesn't consume any oil. 400ml is a lot.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 06:03 AM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #5312
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
I've always been a little leery of drilling the pilot jet(s). It's just way too easy to open up the hole too big because the drill bit isn't 90º to the work.
+1. Not to mention, it's a silly thing to do when new jets are only $4-5 each at the closest dealer.

Drilled jets can lead to all sorts of jetting confusion, unless the markings are removed and the jet is correctly identified.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #5313
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering
Drilled jets can lead to all sorts of jetting confusion, unless the markings are removed and the jet is correctly identified.
+1

Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #5314
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 383
Bronco, yonder, while I agree with you both I was just trying to verify what I had. Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #5315
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
Just finished building a tail rack for my 97 DR350. Pictures in this thread!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #5316
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefivezreo
Bronco, yonder, while I agree with you both I was just trying to verify what I had. Thanks
We're not saying that what you had/have is bad. There are certainly lots of other DR owners that have done similar things (increase the opening with a certain # drill bit) to pilot jets. What we're saying is that it's difficult diagnose issues and/or properly tune a carb when something like this has been done. On the surface, you're dealing with a pilot jet based on the number stamped on it AND the fact that you know the opening has been increased by a certain size. However, if you didn't know that, then you may find yourself chasing an idle issue or partial throttle issue and drive yourself nuts.

Sometimes it's easier to stay with the stock jets and tune the carb in that matter instead of trying to remember what jet has been modded and what jet hasn't. Because, it'll be pretty tough to identify a jet that's been drilled (versus one that hasn't) if it hasn't been ID'd in some way, shape or form. If you can do it by eye then you're a better man than I, Charlie Brown.

Trust me, after trying to dial in a pumper (that had other issues) and spending the better part of three weekends only to fail, I'll only deal with stock (unmodified) jets from now on. Tuning a carb is hard enough.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #5317
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
We're not saying that what you had/have is bad. There are certainly lots of other DR owners that have done similar things (increase the opening with a certain # drill bit) to pilot jets. What we're saying is that it's difficult diagnose issues and/or properly tune a carb when something like this has been done. On the surface, you're dealing with a pilot jet based on the number stamped on it AND the fact that you know the opening has been increased by a certain size. However, if you didn't know that, then you may find yourself chasing an idle issue or partial throttle issue and drive yourself nuts.

Sometimes it's easier to stay with the stock jets and tune the carb in that matter instead of trying to remember what jet has been modded and what jet hasn't. Because, it'll be pretty tough to identify a jet that's been drilled (versus one that hasn't) if it hasn't been ID'd in some way, shape or form. If you can do it by eye then you're a better man than I, Charlie Brown.

Trust me, after trying to dial in a pumper (that had other issues) and spending the better part of three weekends only to fail, I'll only deal with stock (unmodified) jets from now on. Tuning a carb is hard enough.
I found a local "old school" dirt bike shop that had boxes of jets for just a few bucks each. I threw away the PO's drilled jets lest I unintentionally try to re-use them based upon the numbers marked upon them.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #5318
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Intrigued by the Pirelli MT43...

Those of you that run a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the rear... what do you run on the front? Looking for a good comprimise between offroad grip/milage.

Also, I have been reading that they add a bit to the rear-end height. How much do they add do you figure? I am not short, but not tall either and at this point I feel the height is about at the top of where I would want it to be with the Metzler Karoos on the bike now.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #5319
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
So I installed my 140 jet, needle and mixture screw today, but she's almost impossible to start. She seems like she's running lean, but backfires pretty bad and will typically die after running for a minute or two. I can turn the mixture screw from 1 to 1.5 turns out and it seems to make very little difference. Certainly no noticeable RPM change. I've got the needle clip in the middle position, and I'm right at sea level with a cut airbox and FMF exhaust.

Keep in mind, before the jet/needle, I never once kicked her more than 4 times to start her. Ever.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #5320
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
Those of you that run a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the rear... what do you run on the front? Looking for a good comprimise between offroad grip/milage.

Also, I have been reading that they add a bit to the rear-end height. How much do they add do you figure? I am not short, but not tall either and at this point I feel the height is about at the top of where I would want it to be with the Metzler Karoos on the bike now.
I run the Pirelli"s front and back , the rear is a tall tire but not really noticeable while riding anyway the grip and performance of these tires far far outweighs and height gain and of course you will be running very low pressure so that will sit them lower, i run 8lb up front and 10lb on the rear .

I thought i would have to pressure up for the road but have run them at the lower end and they have been fine , oh and they last and last for frikking ever .Try them i bet you don't go back to knobbies especially if you run a lot of rocky single track.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #5321
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,716
Anyone have a right side plastic cover (the one over the muffler) for a 99 350se they want to sell?

Thanks
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 AM   #5322
hdemartini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
I need an exhaust and I'm not to happy with the stock, SuperTrapp, Pro Circuit or FMF choices. If the FMF Q4 was available for the dr350 I'd probably get that. Any other model bikes exhaust that are known to be interchangeable with the dr350?

Does anyone know anything about this video with a White Brothers MX4, like what year and model bike is the MX4 for? Did they have to modify the midtube (if there is a midtube)?

Distech i think you are wandering about this exhaust pipe-

ok, this is my bike, is a DR350SP 1993. and the viedeos are about one year ago... and it fiks perfect! if you want to now, the mx4 i bought in ebay (iám from santa fe, argentina) and here you have another video. the exhaust came whit the curve of an yamaha raptor 350, i have to modifie only this to fics in my bike. sorry for the inglish, if you want send me an PM and i tell you more!.
Hernan.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdZAIQseII
hdemartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #5323
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF
So I installed my 140 jet, needle and mixture screw today, but she's almost impossible to start. She seems like she's running lean, but backfires pretty bad and will typically die after running for a minute or two. I can turn the mixture screw from 1 to 1.5 turns out and it seems to make very little difference. Certainly no noticeable RPM change. I've got the needle clip in the middle position, and I'm right at sea level with a cut airbox and FMF exhaust.

Keep in mind, before the jet/needle, I never once kicked her more than 4 times to start her. Ever.
What pilot jet is in the carb? Also, what carb is it? I'm assuming a pumper (based on kick start) but wanted to be sure. Messing with the air/fuel mixture screw, at this point, isn't going to have any effect. That's one of the last things you do to smooth/adjust the idle. A backfire indicates a lean condition so you may be on to something.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #5324
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
What pilot jet is in the carb? Also, what carb is it? I'm assuming a pumper (based on kick start) but wanted to be sure. Messing with the air/fuel mixture screw, at this point, isn't going to have any effect. That's one of the last things you do to smooth/adjust the idle. A backfire indicates a lean condition so you may be on to something.
It's the stock DRS CV carb. Perhaps richen the needle? It just seems strange that it would be running lean after going from a stock 127.5 to a 140 and a richer (?) needle.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #5325
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Messing with the air/fuel mixture screw, at this point, isn't going to have any effect.
That's not correct. The fuel screw will have a lot of effect on how easy the bike starts; it's primary function is at idle / closed throttle. The main jet and needle should have very little effect, as their functions are at open throttle positions.

MiteyF, you need to turn that fuel screw back out more, 1 turn is not enough, and will cause it to be lean, unless you put in a pilot jet that's too big. Try 2.5-3 turns out for starters. You'll need to adjust it once the bike is warm. Adjust the fuel screw for highest idle speed at that point, then set the idle speed to 1700-1800 rpm.

Assuming you didn't change the pilot jet too (you didn't say you did), it should start like before. FYI, going up a size on the pilot jet can improve things too.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote