User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #526
R'oli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
92 DR 350 Help

I just picked up a 92 DR 350. It was street plated. How I do not know- as it had no horn, signals, high-low beam or switch, and has off road tires. I will be making it street legal but do not want to spend the near $600 (Canadian) for an after market kit that I think I could make myself ....with a little help.
It is the Enduro version so it has no battery and a rather basic electrical system.....

The Question..... Has anyone done this themselves?
-I Figured I would use some LED signals as they draw little power,
-Switch the headlight bulb to DOT high/low beam
-dig up an old foot brake switch.
-either tap into the headlight lead for power or use a small battery and run a constant loss system....

...Any help out there....???

R'oli screwed with this post 03-18-2008 at 03:40 PM
R'oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #527
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by R'oli
I just picked up a 92 DR 350. It was street plated. How I do not know- as it had no horn, signals, high-low beam or switch, and has off road tires. I will be making it street legal but do not want to spend the near $600 (Canadian) for an after market kit that I think I could make myself ....with a little help.
It is the Enduro version so it has no battery and a rather basic electrical system.....

-either tap into the headlight lead for power or use a small battery and run a constant loss system....

Every state (here in the U.S., I don't know about Canada) has different rules. In CT, you don't have to have high beam, for example, but if you do, you have to also have hi beam indicator. Check local regs. before wasteing a bunch of time and $$$.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #528
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by R'oli

Just but one of the kits on this page. Way less than 600 and I'm told they work very well. Never used one of these my self but for the money...
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #529
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Yep, it often works best to peice together your own "kit" for a dual sport project to match your exact needs.

For the brake light, you can get a hydrolic pressure switch for about $20 if you don't wanna fiddle with the mechanical switches.

No need to worry about turn signal draw -the bike makes plenty of current and you won't have turn signals on long enough to matter. A LED tail/brake light could save you a few wts if you worried about it (and you needn't be unless you are running a bunch of stuff or if the dirt model doesn't have the same stator system as the SE models - I think they are the same but not sure...)

good luck and have fun with the new ride!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #530
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Your way to big for that bike....It's as simple as that.

Sell it and get something with a much taller seat height.I'm 5'5''....I'm the target audience for the 350....You'll never have one second of fun if you keep it......

If it makes you feel better I get pissed everytime I go look at dirtbikes.They are all either kids bikes or they are to tall and I am way to hard on the suspension to even consider lowering one.
Your on the other end...They make a bunch of worthy bikes that will fit you.Pick one of those....

ps~Let me know if you want to sell...I may have a buyer....

i've had way more than a couple seconds of fun on the bike.... i just don't feel very comfortable doing it. i am interested in selling it. i have also been toying with the idea of buying a new 08 drz400sm and putting all the brakes and wheels off that onto my dr350 and putting the brakes etc from the dr onto the sm. i have the 99 dr350 so the brakes are the same.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #531
OldOutdoorsMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Yep, it often works best to peice together your own "kit" for a dual sport project to match your exact needs.

For the brake light, you can get a hydrolic pressure switch for about $20 if you don't wanna fiddle with the mechanical switches.

No need to worry about turn signal draw -the bike makes plenty of current and you won't have turn signals on long enough to matter. A LED tail/brake light could save you a few wts if you worried about it (and you needn't be unless you are running a bunch of stuff or if the dirt model doesn't have the same stator system as the SE models - I think they are the same but not sure...)

good luck and have fun with the new ride!
Have fun with it and remember how you put it together because connections will get loose bugs will need to get worked out, keep notes. BUT keep in mind if you do a bare minimum dual sport setup. its only good in your area. If you sell it and the new buyer is from a neighboring city that has to go through inspection or even a neighboring state with different regs...the bike won't look as desireable. The kits are cheap and easy and there is product support if something doesn't work. THEY ARE ALSO DOT approved for all states if you move or it leaves that state. (travel to another location and its not legal there...though it is at home doesn't make a difference) This may not be an issue, but I take mine with me when we travel as well...there is always free time and its more fun to explore on a Dual Sport! BUT what ever...have fun!
OldOutdoorsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #532
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
DR350 Engine case

I have a dr650 and my wife currently is riding a yamaha xr350. I have heard many times that the dr350 has better power, suspension, e-start, etc. Now getting to the meat of my question. I found a 1998 dr350 in a local motorcycle junkyard that is complete. It has 3700 miles, but.....and here is the kicker, it has a soup can sized hole in the engine case. What is the possiblity of finding a viable engine to put in this bike? The guy wants $500 for the complete bike. Is this something worth looking into? I am fairly mechanical but this is not something I would like to take on unless it was a complete swap out. Are cases hard to come by? I have a good friend that owns a KTM dealership and if I could find a case I am sure he could rebuild the engine for me.
Machete-LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #533
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Chances of finding a used motor cheap are pretty minimal, but complete used bikes are often not too expensive, especially if they are cosmetically challenged. I would buy the junk yard bike in a heartbeat then shop for an ugly but well running DR350 and swap parts around then once its all over sell the left over parts and you'll have a very nice bike for cheap.

btw if you don't buy the junk yard bike let me know as I'd be quite interested;)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #534
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,061
There is a complete motor on e-bay right now.
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #535
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
i've had way more than a couple seconds of fun on the bike.... i just don't feel very comfortable doing it. i am interested in selling it. i have also been toying with the idea of buying a new 08 drz400sm and putting all the brakes and wheels off that onto my dr350 and putting the brakes etc from the dr onto the sm. i have the 99 dr350 so the brakes are the same.

Fair enough....Maybe my assesment was abit off.I just can't visulize someone tall on my bike....

The swap around sounds pretty bitchin' also....I'd love to have a wheel swap for mine.I gurantee hours of fun with a motard set up on the 350 no matter how big a fucker you are....

Think pit bike on crack!!!!.....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #536
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegut
I have a dr650 and my wife currently is riding a yamaha xr350. I have heard many times that the dr350 has better power, suspension, e-start, etc. Now getting to the meat of my question. I found a 1998 dr350 in a local motorcycle junkyard that is complete. It has 3700 miles, but.....and here is the kicker, it has a soup can sized hole in the engine case. What is the possiblity of finding a viable engine to put in this bike? The guy wants $500 for the complete bike. Is this something worth looking into? I am fairly mechanical but this is not something I would like to take on unless it was a complete swap out. Are cases hard to come by? I have a good friend that owns a KTM dealership and if I could find a case I am sure he could rebuild the engine for me.

Check with Jesse at Kientech....He may have the parts.

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #537
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,138
So the kids b-day is up next month (15) and I was thinking I'de get him a new ride so we can do some trailies around the Maine woods this summer.

Something he can grow into (get himself to school next year) and maybe I can use when the "others" get a bit stale.

Will be looking at a 1990 dr350 (looks like an r) next week just for s&g's.

P/O has FMF pipe, rejeted, Uni filter, shock link bng, F/R bng's and throttle cable replaced.

What should I look for in addition to these upgrades?

Does the '90 model have any specific issues that the newer models don't?

Always liked the dr's...but never owned one myself.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #538
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
So I put some Buell rear turn signals on my 94 DR350SE, now when the bike is idling (at about 1500 rpm) the turn signals stay lit-constant, like a bulb is out- but if it is above idle, even about 250 rpm, the turn signals work, albeit slower than the stock ones did.

Any ideas?

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #539
danster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I boght a 97 Dr350se a month ago and had a hard time finding an engine, Jesse from Kientech ended up having one on the shelf that he is sending me. also A nice guy fron NJ has sold me a set of case haves one side is damaged but a bunch of good parts to help me get a second engine together I would say that if you are not in a rush it wouldn't be to hard to build an engine up from ebay or searching around you could also try over on maximum-suzuki.

Did you see how much damage was on the engine? mine wrecked just about everything in there, both case halves, R/H side cover, Balancer, crank, piston, cylinder, oil pump gear, and a couple trans gears.

Dan
danster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #540
Olddirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
BikePilot

So you have pics of your DR 350 on here. I thought I saw some on here at one time. What are all the mods you have done to it to date? Are you happy with them for the money?
Olddirt is offline   Reply With Quote