Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #6451
slickrocklover
n00b

Oddometer: 8
just force it off with a hammer and pry bar. Don't hurt the case cover, though.
slickrocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #6452
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
That's the one. I'm just going to borrow a puller from a buddy tonight and yank the thing off. I was just wondering if there wasn't a bolt that holds it into a groove on the shaft I couldn't see... My little Kawi is that way.
Be sure to thread the bolt back in as far as needed so you don't destroy the threads inside the shaft with the puller.

The bolt also requires Blue Locktite upon reassembly.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #6453
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
So I finally finished digesting this entire thread 50 pages at a time until finally arriving at the end. I've learned quite a bit about my new-to-me DR, but I also have a question that has come up twice...

I have a 1991 DR350S with the stock CV carb with the airbox mod and carb rejetting from the previous owner (s)

I overhauled the carb and adjusted the air/fuel screw to where the bike runs great. My DR is also plagued with the hard starting. I've inspected the petcock, and all is functioning properly. Everything is good except the hard starting. The strangest part is that there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes it starts great when cold, sometimes it starts great when hot. Sometimes the opposite is true.

Several hundred pages ago, a Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin was mentioned relating to the hard starting issue, and the bulletin covered the 90 and 91 models (If I remember correctly) The bulletin was never scanned or posted, but the op stated that Suzuki's solution was to drill out the starting jet (located in the odd looking float) with a #72 (0.025") drill bit.

The OP said his bike ran great after that and starting was better. Later in this thread, another guy brought up the same issue, confirmed it with his local Suzuki dealer, and then mentioned having the dealer perform the modification. The last post I read from him was him getting rid of the DR in favor of a KTM, so whether or not he had the mod performed, and whether or not it improved anything is unknown.

With hard starting such a huge issue with this bike, I'm surprised more hasn't been mentioned about the starting jet. I'm also surprised there is no mention of it on Jesse's site. Maybe pumper sales would go down if the CV float could be modified? I'm not knocking the guy at all, but it's a legitimate question.

So...does anyone have a copy of the Suzuki service bulletin describing the modification that they'd be willing to post? Has anyone tried it? Did it work at all? Any noticable difference?

Is the '92 and up S and/or SE floats different than the '90 and '91 S floats? And if so, would a swap eliminate the hard starting if you didn't want to try drilling the starting jet?

I just ordered some #72 drill bits today. I should have them in a few days. My DR runs great, but if I can eliminate the hard starting issue, I would feel more comfortable making it a commuter bike as planned. I don't plan on kicking my guts out in the parking lot at work trying to get home.

Thanks in advance - Kirk.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #6454
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,734
Hard Starting?

I have had both the CV carb and now pumper on my 93. With the adjustable idle mixture screw tweaked right, it is a first or second-kick starter almost every time, hot or cold - using the enrichment knob as required. With the mixture screw set wrong (not far away from "right") it is a pig to start.

The thing that has bitten me was a few times is when the bike sits idling in traffic for a long time. I'm guessing some fuel pools in the inlet tract because if I don't open the throttle very slowly and let the revs rise before trying to go into gear or pull away, it will sometimes stall - and then it can take a bit of kicking to restart.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #6455
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I have had both the CV carb and now pumper on my 93. With the adjustable idle mixture screw tweaked right, it is a first or second-kick starter almost every time, hot or cold -
Same here.
1990 DR250 CV carb/1991 DR350, originally a CV carb, (now a TM33 pumper) when tuned properly the CV's both start with 2 or 3 kicks.

I'm no fan of drilling jets, but if it works out ok for someone then I suppose its a good thing
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #6456
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
Same here.
1990 DR250 CV carb/1991 DR350, originally a CV carb, (now a TM33 pumper) when tuned properly the CV's both start with 2 or 3 kicks.

I'm no fan of drilling jets, but if it works out ok for someone then I suppose its a good thing
Well, the starting jet isn't a jet that can be removed/replaced, so that's why it's drilled out.

(unless '92 and up CV floats are different - then the float can be changed out. )

I guess I need to do some searching of part nos. on the float between the years to see if there is a different number.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #6457
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I have had both the CV carb and now pumper on my 93. With the adjustable idle mixture screw tweaked right, it is a first or second-kick starter almost every time, hot or cold - using the enrichment knob as required. With the mixture screw set wrong (not far away from "right") it is a pig to start.

The thing that has bitten me was a few times is when the bike sits idling in traffic for a long time. I'm guessing some fuel pools in the inlet tract because if I don't open the throttle very slowly and let the revs rise before trying to go into gear or pull away, it will sometimes stall - and then it can take a bit of kicking to restart.
Okay, but I'm talking about 90-91 CV carbs. That's what the supposed service bulletin was for. Neither carb you own falls under that.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #6458
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguy View Post
Hi guys I thought this was interesting and I would post it. Anyway i stop by my local Zuki dealer today.. my wrech guy asked me how the dr was running ..

I said great, but it can be a bear to start & restart! (post t-vent)
He said what year is that.. I say A 1990. (this was funny) he says I think there was a service bulletin for your bike. Hold on let me check.. Couple minutes later he comes back with a print out.

Basically it said if your have starting or restarting issues. You should modify the starter jet..By drilling it out with a 0.63mm drill bit and it should solve the problem! FYI the bulletin is dated 7/12/91 .. How crazy is that that he remember !

Has anyone done or heard of this? I assume it only on the first year and a half of DR's. You can go to a dealer and they can print it out. Bull # sp/dr/gn 12
^ The post I'm referring to...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #6459
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Dave.. I did do Jessies mod, jet and mix screw bike runs great.minus the starting.

So the Bulletin I have is for 90 & 91 Dr 350 & 250. Not sure if it goes beyond that as I would guess they fixed the issue in later models..

To use Zuki term.. The starter jet is "Press Fit"
in the side of the float assembly. Meaning it is not removable. hence the reason it needs to be reamed out.

I can scan it if anyone needs it or swing by your local dealer and ask!

Chairguy
^ And this one...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #6460
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Hi guys I just wanted to give an update to this post. This is a hard starting fix for 1990 & 91 Dr 350 & 250. I was finally able to do this today and what a huge difference it made when starting my 90 dr.

Basically you need a #72 or 0.250" drill bit and then use it to reem out the starting jet. the difference in the size of the hole is pretty big (but very small). I can see why it would make a difference as far as fuel flow when starting. Once the carb was off the bike it took about 5 minutes to do.

I went from 3 or 4 kicks to 1 quick kick and vroom vroom. If you hear anyone having a starting issue with a 90 or 91 dr let them know.. They can have thier suzuki dealer pull up the service Bulleton # sp/dr/gn 12 and it will give you the how to.

FYI ..The starter jet on the 90 91 can not be removed or replaced..

^ And last but not least, this one...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #6461
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Well, the starting jet isn't a jet that can be removed/replaced, so that's why it's drilled out.
Oops....I was thinking pilot jet, sorry.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #6462
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguy
Hi guys I just wanted to give an update to this post. This is a hard starting fix for 1990 & 91 Dr 350 & 250. I was finally able to do this today and what a huge difference it made when starting my 90 dr.

Basically you need a #72 or 0.250" drill bit and then use it to reem out the starting jet. the difference in the size of the hole is pretty big (but very small). I can see why it would make a difference as far as fuel flow when starting. Once the carb was off the bike it took about 5 minutes to do.

I went from 3 or 4 kicks to 1 quick kick and vroom vroom. If you hear anyone having a starting issue with a 90 or 91 dr let them know.. They can have thier suzuki dealer pull up the service Bulleton # sp/dr/gn 12 and it will give you the how to.

FYI ..The starter jet on the 90 91 can not be removed or replaced..

^ And last but not least, this one...
So I started thinking - "A #72 drill bit is 0.250?" So I looked it up, and a #72 bit is 0.0250. Just a comment in case anyone wants to whup out a 1/4" drill bit for this task.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #6463
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
A variety of suzuki models use the cv carb (bst33). Different floats are available by jet size. Call your dealer.

That being said, the correct float height is important. Its also very hard to get right due to the flexible nature of the float assembley. Try and try again till you get it right.

If you must drill and or cant find a larger jet float. Get a stock float first. You cant go back.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #6464
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintSix View Post
A variety of suzuki models use the cv carb (bst33). Different floats are available by jet size. Call your dealer.

If you must drill and or cant find a larger jet float. Get a stock float first. You cant go back.
Why are you talking about floats? Did you mean "jet" instead of float? The two words are not interchangeable, the floats are the large plastic pieces in the float bowl that "float" in the gas, to close off the fuel supply when the fuel level is high enough. Float adjustment affects jetting a little, but I think you have something confused.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6465
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Why are you talking about floats? Did you mean "jet" instead of float? The two words are not interchangeable, the floats are the large plastic pieces in the float bowl that "float" in the gas, to close off the fuel supply when the fuel level is high enough. Float adjustment affects jetting a little, but I think you have something confused.
The "starting jet" is within the tube that is attached to the float.