ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #6631
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Those hose on the back of the fuel cock is the vacuum source that opens the valve allowing fuel to flow. It needs to be connected. Not sure where it connects on the DR350, though. Since you have the pumper carb your vacuum source is probably somewhere on the cylinder head/intake.
The pumper equipped DR's did not come with a vacuum petcock.
Just a plain old on, off, reserve petcock. There is no vacuum port on a stock TM33 pumper carb.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #6632
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
The pumper equipped DR's did not come with a vacuum petcock.
Just a plain old on, off, reserve petcock. There is no vacuum port on a stock TM33 pumper carb.

Yeah, that sounds right, but he is using a vacuum fuel cock. For it to operate, it must have a vacuum source, even with a pumper carb, which is why I suggested to look around the cylinder head or intake. That's how it's done on the DR-Z400 FCR conversion.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #6633
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
If someone is running a TM33 pumper carb with a vacuum petcock there's only 2 options.

Either run the stock vacuum petcock on "pri" (prime) or if its a newer Electric Start model it should have an aluminum extension (such as Kientech sells) to clear the starter which does has a vacuum supply for the stock petcock.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #6634
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
If someone is running a TM33 pumper carb with a vacuum petcock there's only 2 options.

Either run the stock vacuum petcock on "pri" (prime) or if its a newer Electric Start model it should have an aluminum extension (such as Kientech sells) to clear the starter which does has a vacuum supply for the stock petcock.


Cool, thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #6635
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Turlock, California
Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
If someone is running a TM33 pumper carb with a vacuum petcock there's only 2 options.

Either run the stock vacuum petcock on "pri" (prime) or if its a newer Electric Start model it should have an aluminum extension (such as Kientech sells) to clear the starter which does has a vacuum supply for the stock petcock.
Thanks Bob. That's good info. I have been running it on PRI but now I know that's actually the right thing to do... lol. Option #2 won't work for me because it's a kicker-only ('92). I bought this bike from a guy in Arizona. He didn't know too much about the carb and how it was set up because he bought it from a guy in Utah who is the one that put the pumper carb on there.

So it's ok to just have that hose running off to nowhere then? I should probably just take it off?

Still wondering about that mystery hose running up beneath the tank/airbox. Perhaps that is where the vacuum line ran for the petcock?

I got the bike running again today... finally. Hoping I can do a Hare Scramble here the weekend after next so this is just in time. Have to go back to work next week.
__________________
07 Husqvarna TE250,07 VStrom 650, 92 Suzuki DR350S
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!" -- 1962 Honda Safety Rules
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #6636
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post

So it's ok to just have that hose (petcock vacuum) running off to nowhere then? I should probably just take it off?
Sure - til the diaphragm dies and you gas starts running out the hose. I'd clip it and plug it til you "upgrade" the petcock to a Yamaha Raptor unit (direct replacement/non vacuum - $20?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Still wondering about that mystery hose running up beneath the tank/airbox. Perhaps that is where the vacuum line ran for the petcock?
I just looked at my stock '92 - 2 hoses in that area: A small one that is a carb body vent, and a somewhat bigger one that is the crankcase breather (goes to a 90, then to a larger port behind the cylinder)
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #6637
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon
 
Bob Onit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Population 174
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I'd clip it and plug it til you "upgrade" the petcock to a Yamaha Raptor unit (direct replacement/non vacuum - $20?)
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #6638
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer
 
AtlantaViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Sure - til the diaphragm dies and you gas starts running out the hose. I'd clip it and plug it til you "upgrade" the petcock to a Yamaha Raptor unit (direct replacement/non vacuum - $20?)
+2. Its just a matter of time before that diaphragm fails. I have my raptor petcock sitting on the workbench waiting for me to get to it.
__________________
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubble gum

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #6639
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
+2. Its just a matter of time before that diaphragm fails. I have my raptor petcock sitting on the workbench waiting for me to get to it.
I too bought a raptor petcock - $10 for an entire raptor tank on eBay - asked the seller to send me the petcock and told him he could resell the tank. There are many others that will also fit. The main attraction for me is that the raptor petcock was shorter. It's not hard to block off the diaphragm and even modify the petcock to work as a simple on/off valve.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #6640
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 287
I have a 93 or 94 DR350 with a 435 kit. Absolutely the #1 favorite bike in my garage for the winter time trail rides where everything is off camber, rocky, nasty and slow-medium speed. When my buddies see the faded white plastic bike get unloaded they know the day is going to be a long nasty fun one!
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #6641
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred View Post
Haven't seen Kaz in a while.

DRs and Guzzis (and KLRs) are popular with all manner of skinflints!
LOL!

Hiya Fred!

My DR350 is a 1993 dirt model and I love it. The air box was open when I got it along with some jetting mods and a supertrapp. I've left the airbox but replaced the very loud supertrapp with a Jesse moded stock muffler. Much quieter than the supertrapp and I couldn't tell any difference in my seat-of-the-pants dyno. Sorry I can't give you any comparison to a stock muffler, I've never heard one. I'm just happy it is much quieter.

With jetting I'm pretty sure I'm at 132.5 (127.5 is stock) for the main jet and 37.5 on the pilot (stock). Jesse initially recommended 140/40 (IIRC) and I ran that. I slowly decreased jetting sizes and I've been able to maintain performance and get better mileage. But, I've got the pumper carb and it sounds like you probably have the CV carb???

I've got some information here. Hope it helps!

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350.htm

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #6642
farmer fred
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 1,493
Hey Greg,

I got the bike last night; photos soon. Title says it's a 91.

I still can't start it, even using the ritual. After a few kick throughs with the CR pulled in, I kick again until it clicks off by itself. But when I kick through from that spot it doesn't go through a compression stroke at all.

To get that I have to prod until the CR clicks off, then kick through another half kick, let the kicker back up and then I have a compression stroke. Is that normal or has someone fubared the kick starter?
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #6643
alskee750
Studly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 515
DR350 possible buy, some advice..

Hi, (Newbie)

Have my eye out on either a friends 91/92 DR650 or this one on CL, http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/2135787748.html

This will be my first attempt as I will like to ride about 70% Street and 30% off this year. Trying to see if I can influence the friend to sell it since it's been sitting for such a while, being neglected. If that doesnt work out I'll go for the DR350.

Spoke to the CL guy seems like an honest fellow. But my cap is $1200, he asking $1650. The lowest he's willing to go is $1500, is this worth that much for the age? He states it starts on first kick, no oil leak. He changed the clutch because he felt it was dodgy. It happened to be the acutal clutch cable that needed replacement (ok, new clutch).

I'm about 1.3 hrs away from him was wondering if it's worth that much? It has title and is currently on the road. He's selling because new baby is expected...

thanks in advance..

Sotomoto
NYC

01 Triumph Bonneville
73 Honda CB350 Vintage Racer
74 Kawasaki G3ss
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #6644
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Hi, (Newbie)

Have my eye out on either a friends 91/92 DR650 or this one on CL, http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/2135787748.html

This will be my first attempt as I will like to ride about 70% Street and 30% off this year. Trying to see if I can influence the friend to sell it since it's been sitting for such a while, being neglected. If that doesnt work out I'll go for the DR350.

Spoke to the CL guy seems like an honest fellow. But my cap is $1200, he asking $1650. The lowest he's willing to go is $1500, is this worth that much for the age? He states it starts on first kick, no oil leak. He changed the clutch because he felt it was dodgy. It happened to be the acutal clutch cable that needed replacement (ok, new clutch).

I'm about 1.3 hrs away from him was wondering if it's worth that much? It has title and is currently on the road. He's selling because new baby is expected...

thanks in advance..

Sotomoto
NYC

01 Triumph Bonneville
73 Honda CB350 Vintage Racer
74 Kawasaki G3ss
Have a look on this site , it will give you an idea as to what folks are paying .

http://motorcycle.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/...suzuki&fil=350
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #6645
garythelegend
YEE HAW!
 
garythelegend's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Scenic Southern Utah
Oddometer: 13
1998 DR350 almost road ready! but....

Hi, thanks to the immense help from this forum I have my DR almost going. I've got my tail light on, chainguard on ( Thanks Rubberband), new brake lever, Turn signals on .....but not working.

I have checked and I have no power going from the lights to the switch, My indicator light doesn't light up, where do I go from here? could it be the turn signal relay or something like that? any help would be awesome
garythelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014