Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #6646
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,127
Always looking into what else is out there, so a few questions for the DR Gurus please.

Did any DR350s come with electric and kick start, and if so, what was the last year? Any years to avoid, any years more desirable, why?

Wet weight with electric start?

Highway cruising speed?

Thanks

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #6647
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
The lowest he's willing to go is $1500, is this worth that much for the age?
How many miles?

$1500 is reasonable for a street model. Even though this is an older one it's probably not a bad deal if everything looks good and runs good, and it doesn't have a million miles on it. That said, it's middle of winter in a crappy economy (buyers market) and things just aren't generally selling. Unless you're in a hurry it might be smart to be patient and see what else comes up. A month from now he may sell for $1300.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #6648
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Always looking into what else is out there, so a few questions for the DR Gurus please.

Did any DR350s come with electric and kick start, and if so, what was the last year? Any years to avoid, any years more desirable, why?

Wet weight with electric start?

Highway cruising speed?

Thanks
None came with the kicker and e-start, but you can fairly easily add the kicker to an e-start model, and you can't go the other way (add e-start to a kicker).

No real years to avoid. 98-99 supposedly have slightly better suspension out of the box.

No idea on the weight. Mine feels like it's around 315lbs by the seat of the pants. (i.e. it feels about 30-40 lbs heavier than my 450EXC).

Cruising speed depends on gearing. Stock is 15-41, cruises comfortably at 65mph - more than that and it starts to feel pretty revved out and stressed. I recently went to 16/41 now that I have a hot-rodded big bore motor, and it cruises comfortably at 75mph, which is perfect for it's intended dual-sport use.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #6649
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
None came with the kicker and e-start, but you can fairly easily add the kicker to an e-start model, and you can't go the other way (add e-start to a kicker).

No real years to avoid. 98-99 supposedly have slightly better suspension out of the box.

No idea on the weight. Mine feels like it's around 315lbs by the seat of the pants. (i.e. it feels about 30-40 lbs heavier than my 450EXC).

Cruising speed depends on gearing. Stock is 15-41, cruises comfortably at 65mph - more than that and it starts to feel pretty revved out and stressed. I recently went to 16/41 now that I have a hot-rodded big bore motor, and it cruises comfortably at 75mph, which is perfect for it's intended dual-sport use.

dc
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

What was the last year for them? I saw something about a DS370, were they brought here?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #6650
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

What was the last year for them? I saw something about a DS370, were they brought here?
'99 was the last year. 2000 and later were the DRZ400's.

Never heard of a DS370...

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #6651
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:

dc
Doc I had cause to google a few weights of bikes recently and came up with some figures that are kinda surprising.

These are dry weights

KTM 450 EXC 251 LB'S

DR350 249 LB'S

It has gotta be wrong but turns up everywhere ????

It is easy to add a kick start to an electric start but it is a whole other deal adding electric to kick , whole bottom end is needed for that deal , I know because I did it last winter.

I was considering putting a bored out DR500 into a EXC frame but the weight thing put me off , I though as everyone does that the DR was much heavier.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #6652
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Quote:
'99 was the last year. 2000 and later were the DRZ400's.

Never heard of a DS370...

dc
Funny thing is they made a 2000 model for Europe but we never got it !! Very cool model all in black.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #6653
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Help from the collective?

So I've been attempting to cure a high/hanging idle condition with my new-to-me DR350. It is a '98 dirt model with a pumper. I have read this entire thread from the start and have tried all the tricks that seemed applicable; I at first assumed that it was suffering an air leak so I misted all parts of the intake tract with water, no luck. I then disassembled and cleaned the carb. I found that the o-ring in the float needle seat was shot and, when I attempted to remove the enrich-er circuit plunger ass. it broke off. I figured between these two items I had found the problem. Next step, called kientech and talked to Jesse. He agreed that I had found my problem and also recommended that I reduce my pilot from a 40 to 37.5. I order the parts (all for half what ronayers and bike bandit charge for the enrich-er ass. alone) and installed them all today. No change!
So what am I missing? I have tried to rule out all the possible suspects before I came begging for help so at least I wont be accused of laziness, but at this point I'm out of ideas and Kientech's closed till Monday...

BTW I was running 140, 40 3rd clip. The air box is opened up and it has a Big Gun race series exhaust and a JE 10.5-1 piston. Other than the idle the bike ran great. Jesse recommended I switch to 140, 37.5 4th clip. Bike still runs good but my jetting seems different than what most people are running (same as I had before the changes). I haven't noticed anyone else running the needle on the fourth clip so it seems odd that he would recommend this for me.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #6654
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
So I've been attempting to cure a high/hanging idle condition with my new-to-me DR350. It is a '98 dirt model with a pumper. I have read this entire thread from the start and have tried all the tricks that seemed applicable; I at first assumed that it was suffering an air leak so I misted all parts of the intake tract with water, no luck. I then disassembled and cleaned the carb. I found that the o-ring in the float needle seat was shot and, when I attempted to remove the enrich-er circuit plunger ass. it broke off. I figured between these two items I had found the problem. Next step, called kientech and talked to Jesse. He agreed that I had found my problem and also recommended that I reduce my pilot from a 40 to 37.5. I order the parts (all for half what ronayers and bike bandit charge for the enrich-er ass. alone) and installed them all today. No change!
So what am I missing? I have tried to rule out all the possible suspects before I came begging for help so at least I wont be accused of laziness, but at this point I'm out of ideas and Kientech's closed till Monday...

BTW I was running 140, 40 3rd clip. The air box is opened up and it has a Big Gun race series exhaust and a JE 10.5-1 piston. Other than the idle the bike ran great. Jesse recommended I switch to 140, 37.5 4th clip. Bike still runs good but my jetting seems different than what most people are running (same as I had before the changes). I haven't noticed anyone else running the needle on the fourth clip so it seems odd that he would recommend this for me.
Quick question , can you hear the carb slamming shut when you twist the throttle and release when the bike is not running?

If it doesn't then the cable is hanging a little , it really doesn't take much to give you a high idle .It should snap shut and you should hear it very easily.

If that is not the case then how much slop is in the carb slide ? ie take the intake rubber off and stick your finger in there and move the slide back and forth, there should be a little movement but not too much.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6655
cjsporl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
universal fuel gauge for my bike?

Anyone recommend or know of a universal fuel gauge for my 1998 Suzuki DR 350 SE. I really don't want to end up running dead on reserve again...
cjsporl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #6656
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Quick question , can you hear the carb slamming shut when you twist the throttle and release when the bike is not running?

If it doesn't then the cable is hanging a little , it really doesn't take much to give you a high idle .It should snap shut and you should hear it very easily.

If that is not the case then how much slop is in the carb slide ? IE take the intake rubber off and stick your finger in there and move the slide back and forth, there should be a little movement but not too much.
Yeah, the same thing occurred to me but the cable is loose with the slide closed and yes it "clacks" shut. As to the wear on the slide; when I had it apart I examined that carefully and it doesn't "seem" worn but how do you determine that without a nice new one to compare too.FWIW the only spot were the paint is worn completly of is about a 1mm wide rim along the bottom inside edge of the slide were it seats into the carb body. One thing that i forgot to mention before was that it will sort of idle down if you just barely move the throttle, ie twist until all the slack is out of the cable and pressure is applied to the throttle linkage. With the carb apart and no pressure on the throttle linkage the slide is tight in its grooves and doesnt wiggle, when pressure is applied ( the same amount as required to affect the idle while running) the slide the has a little play and seems to click as it un-seats. I don't think that the slide appears worn enough to be the culprit but I would be happy to tear it apart again and take pics.Thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #6657
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl View Post
Anyone recommend or know of a universal fuel gauge for my 1998 Suzuki DR 350 SE. I really don't want to end up running dead on reserve again...
Odometer trip-meter is the best fuel gauge you can get on any bike. Don't know of anything aftermarket to actually measure fuel level in the tank - and wouldn't expect it to be very accurate if there was.

Make sure the reserve pipe on the fuel valve is long enough - extend it if you're not getting enough range on reserve. Then use your trip meter and you should never run dead on reserve again.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #6658
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Yeah, the same thing occurred to me but the cable is loose with the slide closed and yes it "clacks" shut. As to the wear on the slide; when I had it apart I examined that carefully and it doesn't "seem" worn but how do you determine that without a nice new one to compare too.FWIW the only spot were the paint is worn completly of is about a 1mm wide rim along the bottom inside edge of the slide were it seats into the carb body. One thing that i forgot to mention before was that it will sort of idle down if you just barely move the throttle, ie twist until all the slack is out of the cable and pressure is applied to the throttle linkage. With the carb apart and no pressure on the throttle linkage the slide is tight in its grooves and doesnt wiggle, when pressure is applied ( the same amount as required to affect the idle while running) the slide the has a little play and seems to click as it un-seats. I don't think that the slide appears worn enough to be the culprit but I would be happy to tear it apart again and take pics.Thanks for the help.
Ok well that shit is out of the way then , does it eventually settle down to a correct idle or just stays high ?

I really should read more carefully!!

Ok with it releasing with you helping it ie taking the slack out of the throttle I'm pretty sure it is hanging somewhere in the carb but unfortunately everything from now on starts pointing towards a new carb.

When the slide wears it can get so bad that it starts wear on the needle up to where the needle gets so thin that in will just drop into the bottom of the carb, as it is wearing the needle it can start to hang up going through the main jet because the slide is holding it against the side of the main jet .

The problem can be halved by fitting a new slide but that won't fix the carb body.

If you would like to try another carb that I know doesn't have that particular problem but is nonetheless a bit worn I have one here i could sent out to you for testing , I wouldn't sell it to you because I consider it at the end of it's life anyway but it may help in sorting out the problem.

Nice looking bike BTW.

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 08:20 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #6659
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Ok well that shit is out of the way then , does it eventually settle down to a correct idle or just stays high ?

I really should read more carefully!!

Ok with it releasing with you helping it ie taking the slack out of the throttle I'm pretty sure it is hanging somewhere in the carb but unfortunately everything from now on starts pointing towards a new carb.

When the slide wears it can get so bad that it starts wear on the needle up to where the needle gets so thin that in will just drop into the bottom of the carb, as it is wearing the needle it can start to hang up going through the main jet because the slide is holding it against the side of the main jet .

The problem can be halved by fitting a new slide but that won't fix the carb body.

If you would like to try another carb that I know doesn't have that particular problem but is nonetheless a bit worn I have one here i could sent out to you for testing , I wouldn't sell it to you because I consider it at the end of it's life anyway but it may help in sorting out the problem.

Nice looking bike BTW.

Thanks for the thoughts.It will not really stay idled down unless I constantly fiddle with the throttle. Have you taken the security screws out of the slide cover and looked in there? I think I heard someone mention removing that gasket to tighten up the slide channels but mine only seems to slop side to side.
I would be very interested in testing with your old carb and thank you for the generous offer! So what symptoms were you experiencing with that carb that made you determine it was worn or almost worn out? I would be happy to pay your shipping on your carb if you don't mind going through the trouble and I will ship it back as soon as I'm done with it.

I don't know if you saw my original post when I first got this bike, but, in it I explain that it was set up to race and was raced so I imagine it has a few miles on it and probably some hard ones, but overall it is in really good shape. I cant really afford a new carb right now so I'm hoping that isn't the prob.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #6660
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

I'm a real fussy prick and run a hole lot of nasty single track this carb I have just wouldn't idle really evenly and fine tuning it to be bang on was a bit of a constant thing .

I have seen a few pumpers on e bay and actually brought one when I was wet behind the ears , there is a reason they are for sale . never do it .

No problem sending mine up to you and if it is better than yours then use it till you can afford a new one , I gotta tell you a new one is something to behold , perfect starting and a perfect idle can be found easily.

PM me your address and I'll get it on the way Monday .

Mine will be jetted for a 450cc at 10,000ft so you will need to swap the jets out.

There isn't a lot you can do for getting rid of the slide slop , like I said before you can buy a slide for around $20 and that will cut the wear in half but there is no rescue for the body.

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 09:53 PM