Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #6661
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Hi, (Newbie)

Have my eye out on either a friends 91/92 DR650 or this one on CL, http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/2135787748.html
$1650 is way over priced for the '91.
$1,000 tops for the one on CL this time of year.
I bought my '91 in CT with 2,800 miles in excellent condition on it for $550.
I paid $700 for my '90 in the dead of summer.

Be patient the deals will come.

Try Search Tempest http://www.searchtempest.com/

Good luck
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #6662
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Have a look on this site , it will give you an idea as to what folks are paying .

http://motorcycle.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/...suzuki&fil=350
Thats what folks are "asking"
There are many good deals to be had in seasonal riding areas of the country.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #6663
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
I'm a real fussy prick and run a hole lot of nasty single track this carb I have just wouldn't idle really evenly and fine tuning it to be bang on was a bit of a constant thing .

I have seen a few pumpers on e bay and actually brought one when I was wet behind the ears , there is a reason they are for sale . never do it .

No problem sending mine up to you and if it is better than yours then use it till you can afford a new one , I gotta tell you a new one is something to behold , perfect starting and a perfect idle can be found easily.

PM me your address and I'll get it on the way Monday .

Mine will be jetted for a 450cc at 10,000ft so you will need to swap the jets out.

There isn't a lot you can do for getting rid of the slide slop , like I said before you can buy a slide for around $20 and that will cut the wear in half but there is no rescue for the body.
Well I cant thank you enough for your input and generosity. I will pm my info.
I will have to start saving my pennies for a new one. I have mostly new jets so between those and your carb I might be back on the trail. The way it runs right now makes it very difficult to ride but I'm so desperate for my fix that I've been doing it anyway.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #6664
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred View Post
Hey Greg,

I got the bike last night; photos soon. Title says it's a 91.

I still can't start it, even using the ritual. After a few kick throughs with the CR pulled in, I kick again until it clicks off by itself. But when I kick through from that spot it doesn't go through a compression stroke at all.

To get that I have to prod until the CR clicks off, then kick through another half kick, let the kicker back up and then I have a compression stroke. Is that normal or has someone fubared the kick starter?
Hi Fred,

Here's how I start my 1993 dirt model with the factory pumper carb. Petcock on, choke/enricher pulled all the way out. I pull the decomp lever and hold it, kick it through a bunch of times and then release the decomp lever (this is all to get the fuel/air mixture into the chamber). Then I kick it through slowly until I feel compression. I let the kick lever return to the top. Then I pull the decomp lever and immediately release it, kick it through just a tiny amount until the decomp clicks. I let the kick lever return to the top. Now I give it a real starting kick. One or two tries and she starts up every time. Without this ritual, it was a cruel battle that would take me 10 or 15 minutes. The key - I believe - is to give it the real kick just after TDC.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #6665
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Well I cant thank you enough for your input and generosity. I will pm my info.
I will have to start saving my pennies for a new one. I have mostly new jets so between those and your carb I might be back on the trail. The way it runs right now makes it very difficult to ride but I'm so desperate for my fix that I've been doing it anyway.
I bought the full Kientech TM33 pumper kit and have about 2 weeks on the setup (two different trips, 1 wk each). I'm switching to an FCR37 due to the demands of my hopped-up motor. The pumper kit should be ready to sell within a few weeks. It will be like-new, as it has been used for about 1500 miles total.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #6666
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Doc I had cause to google a few weights of bikes recently and came up with some figures that are kinda surprising.

These are dry weights

KTM 450 EXC 251 LB'S

DR350 249 LB'S

It has gotta be wrong but turns up everywhere ????

It is easy to add a kick start to an electric start but it is a whole other deal adding electric to kick , whole bottom end is needed for that deal , I know because I did it last winter.

I was considering putting a bored out DR500 into a EXC frame but the weight thing put me off , I though as everyone does that the DR was much heavier.
I remember that my 1990 DR350SE was supposed to be 262lbs. dry weight. Probably the same till they put on the E start then maybe a 5-10 lb increase.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #6667
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
shearboy re the weights I suspect that suzuki may have been a little bit more optimistic than ktm. Also note that that's for the off-road only, kick start DR350. The 350SE, a more apples-to-apples comparison is about 30lbs heavier.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #6668
uwjberg
snoogins

Oddometer: 105
So I just picked up a 1990 DR250. It came with an Acerbis tank that I am trying to install. In reading and searching through the thread, it look slike I'm missing the mounts that install on the engine mount to the frame. It also looks like locating replacement items is very tough. Anyone know where I can get replacement items, or can post pics/dimensions so I can make some?

Also, I see that both the right and left side petcock is actually below the carb inlet. Will this cause any problems - ie, fuel not being fed to the carb properly? I thought gravity needed to help out on that account...

Any help is appreciated-I thought I'd post here, since the 250 shares so much with the 350...
uwjberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #6669
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Starting Ritual:

Here's how I start my 1995 dirt model with the factory pumper carb. (Has factory decompression). Petcock on (long enough to fill the carb), choke/enricher pulled all the way out, maybe kick 2 or 3 times.

Half warm, choke pulled one step out... warm, heck just kick it. It usually starts on the first kick warm.

Do not TOUCH the THROTTLE... or it will be a mess to start.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #6670
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I bought the full Kientech TM33 pumper kit and have about 2 weeks on the setup (two different trips, 1 wk each). I'm switching to an FCR37 due to the demands of my hopped-up motor. The pumper kit should be ready to sell within a few weeks. It will be like-new, as it has been used for about 1500 miles total.

dc
Doc you will have to let me know how the larger carb works out for you, mine is a 450cc and I have wondered about a bigger carb , right now it seems to run out pretty good but right at full throttle there seems to be a bit of a hiccup that jetting won't get rid of .
I am at 5000ft and ride to 10,000 so my demands aren't as great nonetheless I would like to hear how it works out for you.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #6671
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Starting Ritual:

Here's how I start my 1995 dirt model with the factory pumper carb. (Has factory decompression). Petcock on (long enough to fill the carb), choke/enricher pulled all the way out, maybe kick 2 or 3 times.

Half warm, choke pulled one step out... warm, heck just kick it. It usually starts on the first kick warm.

Do not TOUCH the THROTTLE... or it will be a mess to start.
Sounds like you have that one down , I have 4 DR's and they all require a slightly different technique for starting but the single most important thing I have found is turning the gas on and walking away for a bit allowing the carb to fill completely, now some of my bikes like a little twist of the throttle before kicking and some don't , all like a good kick from TDC right on the compression stroke .

I think the important thing is to lean what your particular one likes and stick to it , don't be one of these guys that turns their legs into a frigging windmill kicking the crap out of it .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6672
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

uwjberg, you can order the stuff from Acerbis I think. I got a replacement petcock and stuff from my local (awesome) dealer who ordered it up from acerbis. Shouldn't be hard to locate at all.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #6673
uwjberg
snoogins

Oddometer: 105
Huh - I'll try with my local shop. They can usually find stuff. Thanks for the tip - I had kept reading that they were hard to find, but hopefully I'll get lucky.

Will the petcock location be a big deal? I assume not, since it's made to work on the bike, but maybe the tank was made for the 350? Not sure on that one.
uwjberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #6674
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

dc
Thanks for the offer BP, send me a pm when you are ready to sell it. I am still holding out a little hope that I will find something else wrong with the bike or cab but realisticly, if this is the original carb from '98, it is probably shot.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #6675
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwjberg View Post
Huh - I'll try with my local shop. They can usually find stuff. Thanks for the tip - I had kept reading that they were hard to find, but hopefully I'll get lucky.

Will the petcock location be a big deal? I assume not, since it's made to work on the bike, but maybe the tank was made for the 350? Not sure on that one.
The 250 and 350 are identical except for engine internals.