Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #6841
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,396
Question Tires ?

Hey Jesse ....

Great looking DR350 .... what tires do you have mounted in your sig line picture ?? ... and how are they working for you .. off-road ?? ... on-road ??

Thanks ...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #6842
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchbee View Post
Hi there fellow DR350 lovers [If you are still out there] . . .
Welcome fletchbee.

DR350's are still very popular and lots of people are still riding them.

Based on the pic, it looks like you've rehabbed pretty well.

As jessepitt said, there are some simple mods and Keintech is a great place to go for info, along with reading through this thread.

Good luck!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #6843
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganjorck View Post
Thanks for the reply Bikepilot.
Do you know where to get a bigger headgasket?
Cometic makes oversize gaskets for DR350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Hey All

I have a 1994 350se, with a stock rear shock. It is getting tired and I am considering my options. Ideally I would like to get a used shock from the dirt version and rebuild it. I understand it has rebound adjustment where as the street shock does not. Can anyone tell me if any of the later model 350's, street version, have the upgraded shock? Or have there always been a difference between the street and off road bikes, shock wise?
In other words, when looking on ebay what year shock should I be looking for?

As well has anyone rebuild their street shock and seen an improvement in handling?

Thanks,
John
I have a 99 street, 96 (I think) dirt, and 91 street. Both 99 street and 96 dirt have rebound adjustment but otherwise, are the same as the 91 dirt.

The 96 dirt shock came with an aftermarket spring but later I figured out that the shock is was damaged by previous owner during rebuild and the aftermarket spring is probably not made for the DR350. I think he used a vise on the cylinder because it is no longer round. The "aftermarket" spring barely fit but it worked. It was stiffer and I found that I generally got better handling than with the softer progressive spring.

I tried adjusting my street shock for both rebound and compression but I never really noticed much difference. I could be that the oil was just old. I ended up rebuilding it and put a racetech gold valve in it. So far it seems to have reduced the tendancy for the rear wheel to kick up while going uphill.

My next step is to install proper springs for my weight which I should get next week.

Also when I ordered springs from Kientech, they recomended also installing a "Spring Bearing Insert" which goes between the top of the spring and the tighteneing collar. It allows the spring to twist as it compresses so it will not apply torque to the shock. Apparently this helps reduce some of the loose feeling in the swingarm. It's $30 so I will give it a try. http://www.kientech.com/FreeSpringInsert.htm

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #6844
fletchbee
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for your advice and help guys.

I am glad i found this forum, just to know there are other DR350 riders out there.

It's also interesting to see the different ideas and mod's some other DR owners have done.

kind regards
Andrew
fletchbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #6845
morganjorck
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks RandyM
morganjorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #6846
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,266
Quote:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/

Select your bike, and it's in aftermarket parts, made by Cometic. Maybe with the supplier and part number you can find a local supplier.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #6847
3uba296
Thumpcurious

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Go Ebay?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #6848
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Hey Jesse ....

Great looking DR350 .... what tires do you have mounted in your sig line picture ?? ... and how are they working for you .. off-road ?? ... on-road ??

Thanks ...

The rear is a Maxxis Maxxcross IT. It is non-DOT but seems to do well on the street for such an agressive tire, that said I ride it like a knobby.In the dirt it hooks up as well as it should. The front is a Chen Shin C755. It is fine on and off road. I really like the Perelli Scorpion Pro for a front tire, it is the most confidense inspiring tire I have ever run and I will be putting one on when the Chen Shin wears out.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #6849
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Hmmm, come to think of it, I may have turned the fuel screw a little on the last ride I took, which was a sub-freezing day in the snow, with T-Low. I had forgotten that. You should try re-adjusting it; once it's warm, at a high idle (1,800-ish), adjust the fuel screw to get the highest rpm, then re-set the idle speed.

That elevation shouldn't have mattered, I ride around there or higher all the time; the mountain behind my house takes me up to about 4,000 feet. At about 4000 feet plus, I had to turn the fuel screw in to lean out the idle. If you were going to ride at high altitude a lot, I'd drop the pilot jet one size, but it should be set right for 2000 ft.

I don't remember the jet sizes too well, I think the pilot is a 37.5 (remember I had to go leaner than I thought I should) and the main should be a 140.
Still having big problems. Took it for a second ride from 500-1000 feet. Still runs fine for the most part. But about 1/4 of the time when I stop at a light it just dies. Starts up fine. When I started climbing a rocky road in first gear it kept dying as if I was lugging it (which I wasn't). Got me stuck in running water 3 times and I finally had to turn back because it was getting unridable. Once I made it back to the highway and rode at 50mph for a while Id stop at a light and the idle would occasionaly dip and almost die.

I turned the fuel screw in til the idle started to drop. Then backed it out to its highest point. I continued to turn it out several turns and the idle never dropped. Does this mean the pilot is too small? This things gonna end up back on craigslist real quick if this keep up

Keintech pumper carb on this bike with the web torque cam for anyone else that might have any ideas.

frdbronco8 screwed with this post 01-22-2011 at 03:03 PM Reason: added carb info
frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #6850
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
Still having big problems. Took it for a second ride from 500-1000 feet. Still runs fine for the most part. But about 1/4 of the time when I stop at a light it just dies. Starts up fine. When I started climbing a rocky road in first gear it kept dying as if I was lugging it (which I wasn't). Got me stuck in running water 3 times and I finally had to turn back because it was getting unridable. Once I made it back to the highway and rode at 50mph for a while Id stop at a light and the idle would occasionaly dip and almost die.

I turned the fuel screw in til the idle started to drop. Then backed it out to its highest point. I continued to turn it out several turns and the idle never dropped. Does this mean the pilot is too small? This things gonna end up back on craigslist real quick if this keep up
How about trying a different carb? That would isolate the problem if it continues.
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #6851
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post

Keintech pumper carb on this bike with the web torque cam for anyone else that might have any ideas.
Man, I'm real sorry to hear it's giving you problems, I'm not sure what to say. I never had issues like you describe with that bike. Do you have the idle set high enough? I always ran it about 1700 or so. You could try changing pilot jets, since it was jetted in the late summertime.

Have you pulled the float bowl off?

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the little passageways in the carb are clean. It sat for about a month before you bought it, which normally wouldn't be an issue, but with the crappy gas we have now??? I've let it sit longer than that in the past though.

When you mention it dying while climbing a road, I assume that wasn't at idle speeds? Sure sounds like something else is going on. Check the plug? Check the valve adjustment?

I really hope it works out for you.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #6852
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
How about trying a different carb? That would isolate the problem if it continues.
That shouldn't be the issue, the carb was new from Keintech not too long ago.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #6853
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Check the plug and plug wire too, make sure it's not cracked or failing. You'll get that bike sorted out, don't get too frustrated (although I totally understand).

The other option is to give Jesse at Kientech a call on the phone. He's walked me through a couple of carb issues patiently when I was really stuck (I tried not to call unless I really was pressed for time, stuck on a trip, or just had no more ideas).

I agree with Yondering that it's worth pulling the carb out and cleaning all the little passageways. I've had my DR350 carb plug up and need cleaning/opening up of the jets and passageways after sitting for less than a month with this new gas.

Keep at it - you'll love the bike.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #6854
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Keep in mind if you try and set the fuel screw when the idle is high, then you won't really get an accurate reading, as it will be idling with the carb slide up a little bit, and you won't know what circuit you're trying to test. It's best to set the fuel screw with the idle as LOW as possible, then reset the idle to normal operating speed. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel, air, or spark. I know that isn't helpful, but I like to start with one system at a time. Make sure all the fuel is getting into the carb and that the carb circuits and jets are open. You can see through the jets if you hold them up to a bright light. If they're plugged, you won't see anything. Then if that's all good and you are sure your gas is ok, check the air filter, ensure there are no vacuum leaks anywhere, snug up the intake boots and manifolds, and so forth. Finally, pull the plug, check the gap, look at the condition of the electrode, visually inspect the cap and wire. Replace if in doubt.

Keep us posted.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #6855
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

frdbronco8, a couple further thoughts: I think it has the 37.5 pilot jet in it, try the #40 (there's on in the jet kit). It was running best in the late summer/fall with the 37.5, and I rode it in November in the snow with no idle issues, but maybe my riding style is enough different?

Also, along with checking the plug cap and wire, check for any loose electrical connections in the ignition circuit. It's possible something started to vibrate loose when I rode it last, and I never noticed.

One other thing, that shouldn't matter: Stock, there's a resistor in the plug cap. I took it out, after reading about it in this thread, and put in a piece of copper wire. Check that it isn't loose (flathead screw inside the plug cap). The stock resistor is the little grey piece in the bag of jets, looks like a short chunk of brazing rod, you could try putting that back in if you want; I didn't notice much difference.

Keep posting details; I'll help however I can. I hate that it's giving you trouble.

Just to help me (or us) give the right advice, what's your experience level with carb tuning and troubleshooting; are you an expert, or just learning the basics?