Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #706
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The plugs are designed to allow you to blow out the carbon from the spark arrestor bits. The bike isn't intended to be ridden without them and they won't give any real increase in performance (but will make the bike sound pretty weird). My guess is that your muffler was clogged with carbon and removing the plugs either allowed enough exhaust to bypass the muffler or allowed the carbon to blow out. If it cleaned out nicely you'll be able to reinstall the plugs and not loose any performance.

I almost went out in a thunderstorm and pulled them out.....

ps~You always bring the common sense into the mix....

thanks for that...otherwise I'd have already morphed my bike into a Harley......

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #707
Olddirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Exhaust plugs

Well Im sure you are right BikePilot that it is not intended for the bike to be ridden without the plugs in. And I will put them back in and see what happens with the performance. But I can tell you it didn't just make the bike sound different and make me think it was running better it just plan RAN BETTER.....Lots better...

It told me something.......there is horsepower to be had with a modified exhaust........whether from Jesse, pulling the plugs, Or like I've been talking about drilling some holes in the restrictor up in the muffler with a long drill bit..

I really don't think the Airbox was intended to be cut open either, but no one will say it doesn't increase performance.

My thought is what can it hurt to take a socket unscrew the plugs and see for yourself. Make up your own mind if you don't like the performance screw them back in and go slower

I will put them back in and ride again it is possible it was clogged up and carbon came out I didn't see but it may be a while.......wheather here in northern michigan is supposed to get crappy again for a while.

It only takes about 30 seconds to pull them out and find out for yourself and let us know what you think. Make Up Your Own Mind, what can it hurt, your supposed to pull them out and blow out the carbon. So pull them out and go blow out some carbon.........I did ....and I LIKED IT MUCH BETTER
Olddirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #708
Olddirt
Adventurer

Exhaust Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus
olddirt

can you expand a bit on
I remembered reading about removing the 2 plugs on the muffler

I have done the Jesse style exhuast mod on mine, is this the same thing?
Its not the same thing, I'am sure what you have is better than just pulling the plugs out. The plugs are located on the muffler about 16mm if I remember right and with them removed exhaust passes through them without going through the baffle so in effect flow is increased.

I'm sure what Jesse did to your exhaust increased flow more than the removal of the plugs.......But In 30 seconds I made my bike run LOTS BETTER. I don't think you would see as much of a increase as I did but what the heck.............do you have 30 seconds to find out.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #709
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddirt
Well Im sure you are right BikePilot that it is not intended for the bike to be ridden without the plugs in. And I will put them back in and see what happens with the performance. But I can tell you it didn't just make the bike sound different and make me think it was running better it just plan RAN BETTER.....Lots better...

It told me something.......there is horsepower to be had with a modified exhaust........whether from Jesse, pulling the plugs, Or like I've been talking about drilling some holes in the restrictor up in the muffler with a long drill bit..

I really don't think the Airbox was intended to be cut open either, but no one will say it doesn't increase performance.

My thought is what can it hurt to take a socket unscrew the plugs and see for yourself. Make up your own mind if you don't like the performance screw them back in and go slower

I will put them back in and ride again it is possible it was clogged up and carbon came out I didn't see but it may be a while.......wheather here in northern michigan is supposed to get crappy again for a while.

It only takes about 30 seconds to pull them out and find out for yourself and let us know what you think. Make Up Your Own Mind, what can it hurt, your supposed to pull them out and blow out the carbon. So pull them out and go blow out some carbon.........I did ....and I LIKED IT MUCH BETTER

Easy ...

BP has a ton of real time with these bikes...Don't get offended..He's just saying that you need to look at the whole picture.Your right...I'm right he's right.Dig?

Try stuff...

Bottom line is read what's been tried and go from there...simple.
If it's working for you figure out why and I'll try it!!!...

BP has more trial and error....Don't get pissy about that.He as well as Jesse is your best bet when you get in a pinch...

Ps~I'm still gonna pull my Ex bolts just to ''see''

Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #710
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Gotta agree with BP... I've temporarily pulled the plugs/caps off several other bikes over the years and they do run better short term but are not intended to be run without them in place. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

But I also think ya gotta do what works best for you. I personally hate the noise, I guess getting older means I now prefer the stock sound. (quiet) My DRZ has a Yoshi pipe and I find it somewhat obnoxious. It's not Harley loud but just too loud for the neighborhood. Plus since I live in a tourist town I despise Harleys so I don't want to get bunched up in that group. My DR has the stock exhaust and I'm happy with that. It cuts down on my performance but that's ok with me cause I'm not wanting to pull wheelies down main street anymore.

Mulekick, ya gotta a future in politics dude.. I think you're advice is right, don't take any info here personally, don't be offended if someone else knows more about a subject than you and try different things to get more or better performance out of your bike if that's what puts a smile on your face. And when ya find something that works let everyone know about it, we all need a smile from time to time.. For me this forum is all about receiving and giving information, so I try to be open to suggestions and advice from others that may have more experience with a certain bike or product..

Now, I gotta go out to the garage and pull the plugs outta my DR to see if I can blow some carbon crap out of the pipe. 8^D

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Easy ...

BP has a ton of real time with these bikes...Don't get offended..He's just saying that you need to look at the whole picture.Your right...I'm right he's right.Dig?

Try stuff...

Bottom line is read what's been tried and go from there...simple.
If it's working for you figure out why and I'll try it!!!...

BP has more trial and error....Don't get pissy about that.He as well as Jesse is your best bet when you get in a pinch...

Ps~I'm still gonna pull my Ex bolts just to ''see''

"If ya ain't living on the edge, ya taking up space." B. Coats

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
greendogpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #711
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I don't think you would see as much of a increase as I did but what the heck.............do you have 30 seconds to find out.

Thanks olddirt I will give it a try, assuming I can get them out after 12 years of them being in place!!
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #712
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Certainly on harm in trying it, I just thought ya'll might like to know what the plugs are there for. Even if you did want to increase noise/power that's a sorta odd way of doing it. It also means your bike no longer has a (functioning) spark arrestor.

Olddirt, I don't doubt your report of gaining power etc at all. Something is up with your bike though. Even switching from stock to a high flow aftermarket system won't yield the sort of performance gains you reported which is what led me to thing that perhaps your stock muffler is/was clogged up. A high flow aftermarket system helps the motor pull a little harder, but not a lot and the improvement is only at higher rpms. Not at all the sort of thing that is going to make a night and day difference as you described. IMy guess as to an explaination for your bike's poor stock performance is that the muffler was clogged up. 've no way of knowing if it cleaned out properly when you ran it with the plugs out - hopefully it did but its possible it didn't. Also, the stock bike with a pumper properly jetted will easily snap the front wheel off the ground in first gear (and depending on gearing, how you ride etc will pull the front end up in other gears). This would imply then that your bike with the plugs out is probably running like a stock bike should (only louder) and your bike with the plugs in was probably suffering from some issues. Its also possible though less likely that your jetting is on the rich side and the marginal increase in flow from removing the plugs allowed just enough extra air in for it to run properly, doesn't seem very likely to me though.

Jessie's mod retails the spark arrestor and simple mounts a larger opening to the back of the stock muffler.

The FMF Q is also a good option if you want more flow and also retains the spark arrestor.

For the record I've ridden my bike around a little without the plugs, it made zero difference that I could detect.

good luck!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 04-08-2008 at 06:10 AM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #713
Olddirt
Adventurer

exhaust plugs

From the posts I see it makes me wonder If I came off like I was offeded or something about what Bikepilot said..........Not in the least....And I hope I didn't offend anyone. He knows these bikes inside and out and put me on track for how I set up my bike.

I was just trying to encourage people to take 30 seconds and give it a try. I don't know that I'd want to leave them out for good, but it does make me think of doing the Jesse exhaust mod. I do remember reading the carb, airbox and exhaust mods are ment to be done together and so far I have only done carb and airbox.

Bikepilot..........If I did come off that way I'am sorry I didn't mean too.....just I guess I spent 400 bucks on the pumper and wasn't impressed because I never really rode the bike......took 30 seconds........unscrewed the plugs and Woo Hooo..........was trying to share the experience so others may give it a try...........
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #714
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

No offense taken at all:) I'm really glad you managed to wake your bike up! I do think that the reason for the huge increase in performance you found is probably more due to a clogged muffler than the amount of additional flow the plugs would give over a properly function stock muffler. I could be wrong of course, but I sure didn't notice any change in performance with or without the plugs. Mine's pretty snappy with the stock muffler though.

anyway, run whatever works for you and have fun

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #715
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
The bike I just got a couple of months back has the screw missing. I know that the spark arrestor won't be functioning, but is there any harm in running it without the cap? The only thing I notice is a funny popping sound when I wind the engine down.
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #716
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

It shouldn't hurt anything. Just more noise and no spark arresting.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #717
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddirt
From the posts I see it makes me wonder If I came off like I was offeded or something about what Bikepilot said..........Not in the least....And I hope I didn't offend anyone. He knows these bikes inside and out and put me on track for how I set up my bike.

I was just trying to encourage people to take 30 seconds and give it a try. I don't know that I'd want to leave them out for good, but it does make me think of doing the Jesse exhaust mod. I do remember reading the carb, airbox and exhaust mods are ment to be done together and so far I have only done carb and airbox.

Bikepilot..........If I did come off that way I'am sorry I didn't mean too.....just I guess I spent 400 bucks on the pumper and wasn't impressed because I never really rode the bike......took 30 seconds........unscrewed the plugs and Woo Hooo..........was trying to share the experience so others may give it a try...........

That was probably my fault....I spend to much time in JoMomma....

Sidenote~I pulled one of the bolts out awhile back for what reason I don't recall but it didn't go back in real sweet so I tend to think that these bolts might tend to be easy to strip.My advice is to go easy with them if they have been in there for years....

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #718
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Anybody running SOK brand brake pads?
There is an Ebay powerseller that has them for around $30 shipped for front and rear.Thats half what my stealer wants....I figured I'd try them out unless one of you FF's say's not to...

Ps~There is a set of wheels and tires up for bid right now as well.....Shipping is pretty steep or I may have punched in on them.If your near Ranoake Va they may be a steal...

Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #719
Olddirt
Adventurer

Got it to go....now I need to Stop

I han't done anything to the breaks at all yet, but they didn't really work that good. I have read to change the break fluid or lightly sanding the pads but are there any adjustments on them? The rear break really has to be pushed hard to really stop fast and goes down quite a bit

Maybe you guys will enjoy this story. I bought the bike off a guy I used to ride with that bought it and only rode it once and didn't like it at all he thought it had a bad bog and not enough power. He is really a honda guy and wanted a xr 400. We did find him a 03 xr 400 and went down state to pick it up Now I'am sure my bike is running much different then when he had it and we will go riding in a few weeks. I Know the Dr isnt the bike the Xr is but I can't wait until we trade bikes and I tell him all I did was change the plug and put on a K&N Filter and if that doesn't get him when he is kicking the XR over I'll just keep hitting the magic button and smiling.. From what I can see I'am really going to like this bike.........
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #720
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I dunno about those brake pads, never heard of the brand. I imagine EBC, Braking and the usual suspects probably make pads for the DR. I've heard good things about the EBC HH rated pads.

For braking performance, start by bleading/flushing the brakes so that you know you've got clean fluid and no air bubles. This costs only a couple of dollars and doesn't take too much time.

The for adjustments, the rear brake peddle has an adjuster on the back of the lever behind the pivot and a height stop adjuster forward of the pivot that the peddle comes to rest on when you aren't pushing it down. It should be pretty clear what these do and how they work just from looking at them. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch so that it still works correclty after you fiddle with the peddle height:)

Olddirt, I wouldn't be surprised if your DR runs better than his XR at this point!

For the front brake, i think you can adjust the reach of the lever, but don't remember for sure.

If you still want better braking performance HH rated pads and SS brake lines would be a good move. If you want a lot more performance you may need to go to an oversized rotor (which is going to be complicated unless you hvae a 98-99 model bike).