Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #7291
LawrenceTheCat
3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
And it's happened after the bike was not ridden for about 5 months and it have installed cdi not from this model, from dr 1993, there were +2 wires, than in original, but my mechanic had done it to start the engine. And from that time bike lost a lot of power, it feels like it is choked or something like that. He can't reach enough rmps, just about 6000-7000 not any more. And when releasing throttle from high rmps, fire blows out from the exhaust. The carb is cleaned and adjusted, spark plug good.
Any minds what should i do? :(
I would order the correct CDI for your bike.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #7292
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
You're running the ProCycle VR with OEM stator? If yes, I think I'll order the ProCycle one for a spare.
Yes, but this is on a '99 DR350 dirt model with no battery. If you're running a battery you'll need a regulator/rectifier, which is different. Procycle sells one that's rated for 200w for $39.95, or you can get one from Ricky Stator that's rated for 250w for a little more money.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #7293
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliw View Post
Well after a 30 mile run on my newly mod'd bike (carb, airbox mod, exhaust mod) l pulled the plug and it looks a tick rich but close. I also have light popping on deaccel (nothing bad it's just there). I've checked for exhaust leaks but everything looks good. The bike runs strong throughout the range; no peaks like stock but just a good solid pull. Sounds better!

Should I mess with it or should I be happy with what I've got?

Also, my tach is reading at idle but is erratic or doesn't move when you increase the rpm. Loose wire? I do know that my battery is dead; could that be a problem?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have it pretty dialed, I would run it!
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #7294
jessepitt
Ride More

A favor?

So I've been monkeying with my tm 33 carb all winter and am still not happy with the way it is running. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of and am still failing miserably.I think that my carb body is worn out but want to confirm that before I wack for a new one. I was just wondering if there is anyone I my area who might have a great running DR350 with a pumper who would let me try their carb for a minute to see if that is in fact my problem? I live in the Eugene area of Oregon but would at this point drive half way across the state for a chance to try a known good carb.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #7295
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilliw View Post
Also, my tach is reading at idle but is erratic or doesn't move when you increase the rpm. Loose wire? I do know that my battery is dead; could that be a problem?
Absolutely.... It may also affect the lighting as well, especially at low RPM.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #7296
elroyjetsn
Mountain Fan

Oddometer: 392
Old CDI tired

I have a 91 DR250 that runs very well, but doesn't seem to have the umph that I'd expect from the claimed 29HP. Just wondering if the CDI may have stopped advancing the spark the way it's supposed to.

Is there any way to check the ignition timing thru the rev range and see how well the advance circuit is doing it's job? Mine is the dirt version that's been converted to battery/DC. But, the CDI appears to be powered by the magneto coil on the stator. I've heard that coil can get weak with age.

Thinking of rewinding the magneto coil to see if that helps.
David's Heart Band
elroyjetsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #7297
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Hey guys just thought i would chime in. I just bought a 1995 DR350SE. Quite a lot more oomph then my old 82 honda xl 250.

On the ride home though i encountered 1 problem. The bike would idle very high, and also when downshifting and coming to a stop the bike would sometimes die.

It was idling at like 3500 RPM then when slowing to a stop it would just go 3k-2k-1k dead. It was very weird. Then in order to start it up again i would have to push the starter and give it a little bit of throttle.

I finally figured out that when the idle was dropping to just give it some gas... and then it would be fine. But i dont think this is a good permanent fix.

what do you suggest? Just taking the carb out and cleaning her up?
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #7298
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
Hey guys just thought i would chime in. I just bought a 1995 DR350SE. Quite a lot more oomph then my old 82 honda xl 250.

On the ride home though i encountered 1 problem. The bike would idle very high, and also when downshifting and coming to a stop the bike would sometimes die.

It was idling at like 3500 RPM then when slowing to a stop it would just go 3k-2k-1k dead. It was very weird. Then in order to start it up again i would have to push the starter and give it a little bit of throttle.

I finally figured out that when the idle was dropping to just give it some gas... and then it would be fine. But i don't think this is a good permanent fix.

what do you suggest? Just taking the carb out and cleaning her up?
Yep. I would pull your fuel line off and dump Seafoam down the line to fill the carb bowl and let it sit over night. (drain the fuel out of the bowl first) That will help loosen up any gunk. Then pull the carb, disassemble it completely and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner. You may want to replace the pilot jet completely as they can get very clogged and be hard to get totally clean. You may also want to run some Seafoam in the next couple tanks of fuel to help clean and treat the whole system. When you reassemble it be sure to get it fit into the boots properly, it sounds as tho you may have an air leak as well. You may want to check that before you pull it apart to see if that helps. If the condition persists you can mist water around the boot conections with the engine running to find the leak. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #7299
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

I also had a question i realized that the dr350 petcock says ON/RES or PRI which way is off? I know its kind of silly. But i dont have a book yet.

Its kind of weird.. usually there is an off
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #7300
jessepitt
Ride More

vacum petcock

Quote:
I also had a question i realized that the dr350 petcock says ON/RES or PRI which way is off? I know its kind of silly. But i dont have a book yet.

Its kind of weird.. usually there is an off
It is a vacumoperated petcock. It turns itself of when the engine stops providing vacum. They all fail eventually. When they fail it can lead to all sorts of strange running issues or even gas in your crankcase which is bad.You can replace it with a manual type from a yamaha raptor quad.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #7301
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
It is a vacumoperated petcock. It turns itself of when the engine stops providing vacum. They all fail eventually. When they fail it can lead to all sorts of strange running issues or even gas in your crankcase which is bad.You can replace it with a manual type from a yamaha raptor quad.
So should i just leave it on ON all the time, unless its been sitting for awhile then i can prime it?

I left it on prime do you tihnk i should go change it to being ON?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #7302
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
So should i just leave it on ON all the time, unless its been sitting for awhile then i can prime it?

I left it on prime do you tihnk i should go change it to being ON?
You've broken the code! Leave it on ON unless the bike has been sitting a while, then PRI is the correct setting until the bike starts, then back to ON.

Be mindful, especialy if you keep the bike in your garage with a gas water heater, that these petcocks fail in a number of ways -- one of which is to pee raw gasoline all over the floor (after the crankcase fills up) . . .

Seriously, search this thread for 'petcock' and/or 'raptor' and consider ridding youself of that vacuum petcock.

Quote:
I join jessepitt in suspecting that you have a vacuum leak, since you've got the classic symptoms. That little vacuum hose that goes to the petcock is a good place to begin.

Although clogged pilot jet(s) will prevent idling, the clog(s) don't likely present you with fast idling. I'd explore the vacuum issue before digging into the not-so-easy-to-work-on carbs were it I.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 03:37 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #7303
Dilliw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
Absolutely.... It may also affect the lighting as well, especially at low RPM.
Thanks Bob and Jesse for the replies. I'll pick up a new battery and go from there.

Geo
Dilliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #7304
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn View Post
I have a 91 DR250 that runs very well, but doesn't seem to have the umph that I'd expect from the claimed 29HP. Just wondering if the CDI may have stopped advancing the spark the way it's supposed to.

Is there any way to check the ignition timing thru the rev range and see how well the advance circuit is doing it's job? Mine is the dirt version that's been converted to battery/DC. But, the CDI appears to be powered by the magneto coil on the stator. I've heard that coil can get weak with age.

You can hook up a timing light and shine through the inspection hole on the stator cover. Make sure you can see your firing mark at about idle and if you slowly rev it up you should see the mark creep away from its position at idle. Get a good timing light with an adjustable dial on it and it will tell you how many degrees its actually advancing. With one without the dial your just eyeballing it and confirming the timing is changing. Hope this makes since im pretty sleepy from staying up drooling over a DR350...
wavygravy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #7305
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn View Post

I believe the DR250 makes about 18hp vs the DR350's 27hp.
The 29hp figure is way too high.
The CDI has its own seperate coil winding for power / spark. It should not be affected by the other charging coils. Weak spark on the DR's can happen for many reasons, but the most common are bad connections from the CDI box to the coil, bad grounds, and a cracked resistor (in the spark plug boot) or broken / corroded wire in the coil's HV lead to spark plug boot connection.