Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #721
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I dunno about those brake pads, never heard of the brand. I imagine EBC, Braking and the usual suspects probably make pads for the DR. I've heard good things about the EBC HH rated pads.

For braking performance, start by bleading/flushing the brakes so that you know you've got clean fluid and no air bubles. This costs only a couple of dollars and doesn't take too much time.

The for adjustments, the rear brake peddle has an adjuster on the back of the lever behind the pivot and a height stop adjuster forward of the pivot that the peddle comes to rest on when you aren't pushing it down. It should be pretty clear what these do and how they work just from looking at them. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch so that it still works correclty after you fiddle with the peddle height:)

Olddirt, I wouldn't be surprised if your DR runs better than his XR at this point!

For the front brake, i think you can adjust the reach of the lever, but don't remember for sure.

If you still want better braking performance HH rated pads and SS brake lines would be a good move. If you want a lot more performance you may need to go to an oversized rotor (which is going to be complicated unless you hvae a 98-99 model bike).

I looked up SOK and they seem to specialize in brake parts.I may give them a shot.
I stay outta the rear and use the engine most the time anyway...

If they turn out to be junk I'll make sure to post...seller promises satisfaction so if they look like turds he's getting them back...

I hate this nickle and dime stuff....I want new knobbies and an Acerbis tank damn it!!Not new brakes,cables & wheel bearings.....:yawn..... maintenance smaintnance... boooooooorrrrring

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #722
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Worth a shot it sounds

Acerbis tanks are nice

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #723
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Worth a shot it sounds

Acerbis tanks are nice

Lets sees....Acerbis tank @200 bones.....brake pad savings @30

Thats' what?A sixth of the cost!Pish!...Who needs high quality brakes anyway??....

famous last words of a Mule,

me

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #724
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I worked two extra nights a week for a little while to pay for my DR goodies last summer when I was putting it together

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #725
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
I worked two extra nights a week for a little while to pay for my DR goodies last summer when I was putting it together

To funny...

I just got paid for a PITA side job I did sunday....
They liked the work so much they ask me to bid on another PITA......

Hey...I just wanna RIDE my bike not bust my ass on my day's off to farkle the bastidge.....!!!

Off to look at said PITA tommorow.....

Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #726
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

My side job was actually kinda fun, doing a bit of teaching, still had the weekends open (other than preperation work) as it was all evenings. Killed two weeknights but I hadn't anything terrible useful going on in the evenings anyway

And becasue we've gone way too long without a DR pic, here's my wife rocking the DR250SE around town

Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #727
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
What kind of mpg's are you fellas getting? I've been getting around 34 mpg in the city, I usually have to fill up 1.7gallons when the trip meter hits 65mi. This is before I cleaned out the airfilter. I'm hoping it will improve significantly!
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #728
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

The 250 is stock and pretty consistently gets 65-75mpg. I haven't ridden the 350 enough to get a solid mpg figure but as a rough guess around 45mpg, but realize that's on full knobbies and with a fair bit of off road thrown in the mix. I recon it would be much better with all street riding on dot tires. I should note I've never burnt a complete tank of all city riding. Most of my mpg figures are from riding around NoVA and Wash DC, so lots of traffic and congestion but not so much as if all the riding were in NYC or DC.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #729
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Quote:
Worth a shot it sounds

Acerbis tanks are nice

Lets sees....Acerbis tank @200 bones.....brake pad savings @30

i lucked out, while ordering a few things from jesse @ kientech, he told me he had a used acerbis tank for sale..i snatched it up for $75! arrived today, and i have it installed already. came with all mounting hardware, cap, 2 petcocks and fuel lines. not sure how much it holds, i am guessing 3.5-4 gal. it's sweet!

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #730
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
he told me he had a used acerbis tank for sale..i snatched it up for $75!

son of a ......
Nice score delkron97!!

johnnyandjebus screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 03:34 PM
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #731
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Killer deal

It should hold 4.25 gallons

Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #732
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Hey guys!

I just bought my first bike a '91 DR250S (kickstart only) a little over a week ago. I know it's not a DR350 but I do know they're virtually identical. When I bought it I wasn't able to get it started (turns out because of a dead battery), but somehow the previous owner was able to start it in that condition. However, with a lot of help from BikePilot (I really can't thank him enough!) I cleaned the carb and checked some other possible reasons it wouldn't start. Since then I've changed the oil, put fresh gas in and put a new air filter on.

It runs great now though. Infact, yesterday I was able to get it started on the second (fairly effortless) kick. No priming with the decomp lever or anything, just rolled it out, pump pump and she roared to life. I was giddy to say the least.

Now that it starts well and it idles fine once warmed up I'm trying to trouble shoot some possible A/F ratio issues. I starts pretty good now, but it idles a little rough until it gets warm. Then it gets more rough, sometimes stalling, until I take the choke off. After that she settles into a nice burble with decent throttle response (so far as I know). Is that normal? Is it an A/F issue?

Also, when riding around I can't get it to rev above 4k. It just stutters there like hitting a rev limiter or something. I read Mulekick's post about this back on page 30-something so I figure it's probably the same issue. When I cleaned the carb the jets were both clear, but I supposed something could've dislodged since then and possibly clogged one and the previous owner removed the side of the intake box right behind the left side leg panel and there appears to be a small hole worn in the back of the air box under the rear fender (possibly worn out by the rear tire under full load?). I checked the rest of the intake tract when I reinstalled the carb last time and it's all fitting fine so I don't think there's any leaks there. Do ya'll think those two open parts are letting too much air in?

What do you guys think?

BTW, I've been enjoying the hell out of this thread!

Edit:

Also, when I was cleaning the carb. I took the top off and clean in and around the vacuum diaphram, but I wasn't able to get it to fit back into the groove on the carb body. I dunno if it stretched out or what. It seems fine, but when I fit it into the grove. I get all the way around and there's like a 1/4" left over like the outer ring on the diaphram is too big. So I just fit it in there as best I could and hope that it's not leaking. COuld this also be a culprit?

EvilGenius screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 06:39 AM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #733
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Killer deal

It should hold 4.25 gallons

i am hoping it holds atleast 4 gal. i am used to my klr's 7.7 ims, so when i rode dr with that weenus 2 gal tank...i felt like i shouldn't venture to far out in the fun stuff...or i may be walkin back.
been lookin for a bigger tank for a while, then when i wasn't lookin...it popped up!

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #734
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I'm pretty sure all acerbis tanks hold 4.25 gal, I know both mine do (or at least acerbis says they do, I haven't measured from dry but have no reason to disbelive them).

Evil Genius, if your bike runs well when warmed up and the only idle issues are when cold with the choke on I really wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps take the choke off a bit earlier. You can play with the idle mixture screw a bit if you want.

For the hole in the airbox, if its located such that air would be able to bypass the filter, that's bad and it should't be ridden like that. If it just lets air in on the dirty side of the filter then the only worry would be that the filter might get dirty more quickly than it should and that water may make its way in. Perhaps post a pic of the hole.

the issue with not reving could well be caused by the problem with the diaphram. I'm not really sure I understand what's not right about the diaprham, but they do tend to be rather sensitive to any problems. If that diaphram doesn't work properly the slide piston won't move properly and its really what controlls the "throttle".

It could of course also be a plugged up jet, a dirty or clogged air filter or something of that nature.

good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #735
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I think the diaphram could be it because it idles and revs beautifully when warm, it just won't go past 4k.

Let's say you took the diaphram cover and the diaphram off of the top of the carb. If you look straight down at the carb and see this.

The inner red ring is where the diaphram attaches to the top of the slide.
The black ring is the grove in the carb body where the outer ring of the diaphram should go.
The outer red ring is where the outer ring of the diaphram actually is when I put the slide and everything back in.

When I try to fit the ring the in the groove I get excess like this.

I tried to fit it in there as best i could and get the cover back on without any of it coming out, but it probably looks more like this in between the cover and the carb body.

Assuming the outer ring of the diaphram is supposed to be the same diameter as the groove in the carb body, I don't know what happened. Because the diaphram itself looks absolutely fine to me. There's no tears or any sign of stretching or aging at all.

Maybe I'm not putting it in right?

Edit:

Also, about the hole in the air box. It's not bigger than a nickel or quarter. If you look straight into the access side of the airbox as if you were taking the air filter out. If you go the right (towards the back of the bike) and to the back of the box (opposite your side) and to the bottom. That little corner in the back is where the hole is. It looks like it was rubbed by something on the outside of the box but the only thing I can think of is the rear tire maybe. Anyways, it's before the filter so I guess it's ok.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 12:20 PM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote