Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #811
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
That will be awsome, I so wanna ride my DR to copper canyon sometime, looks like a fantastic ride

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #812
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Well don't wait too long BP cause things are changing quickly down there....Tourism is becoming a bigger part of their economy. The road to Batopilas is being paved soon. There's been talk of it for quite some time but from what I've learned from a friend who lives and guides down there they're working on the road expansion now. I'm afriad the construction may interfere with my May trip and for sure my October trip. There are still tons of great, remote and rugged roads but the road to Batopilas is sort of the famous one down there.

So take some time as soon as you can, trailer the DR to Presideo and go have a blast.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
That will be awsome, I so wanna ride my DR to copper canyon sometime, looks like a fantastic ride

"If ya ain't living on the edge, ya taking up space." B. Coats

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
greendogpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #813
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendogpictures
Well don't wait too long BP cause things are changing quickly down there....Tourism is becoming a bigger part of their economy. The road to Batopilas is being paved soon. There's been talk of it for quite some time but from what I've learned from a friend who lives and guides down there they're working on the road expansion now. I'm afriad the construction may interfere with my May trip and for sure my October trip. There are still tons of great, remote and rugged roads but the road to Batopilas is sort of the famous one down there.

So take some time as soon as you can, trailer the DR to Presideo and go have a blast.

Steve
THAT sucks. Ah, progress, eh?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #814
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Technology !!!! Once the technology reaches these remote areas progress always seems to be close behind. It's a shame as many of the people down there prefer things to stay as they are. Oh well, that's life. Ride while ya can.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
THAT sucks. Ah, progress, eh?

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #815
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
clutch plates... to soak... or not to soak...

I bought new OEM clutch plates, should I soak them for a few hours before putting them in, or will it be a waste of time??

Hopefully, i'll get them in tomorrow night, and I should be good to go this weekend!!
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #816
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

soaking them is a good move. I doubt the world will end if you don't but it sure won't hurt anything if you do and it just might help:)

As for copper canyon, I really wanna go sometime soon. I don't know if I'll be able to spare any time this summer but I'll at least keep a sharp eye out for a gap in my schedule that could make it possible. I'll be working in Denver for a bit this summer so I'll at least be a little closer than Mass. Dunno if I will have my DR with me or not though.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #817
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
soaking them is a good move. I doubt the world will end if you don't but it sure won't hurt anything if you do and it just might help:)

As for copper canyon, I really wanna go sometime soon. I don't know if I'll be able to spare any time this summer but I'll at least keep a sharp eye out for a gap in my schedule that could make it possible. I'll be working in Denver for a bit this summer so I'll at least be a little closer than Mass. Dunno if I will have my DR with me or not though.

You'd be an idiot if you DON'T have yer DR whislt' in Co....

If you get it there you may get fired on the other hand....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #818
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
I bought new OEM clutch plates, should I soak them for a few hours before putting them in, or will it be a waste of time??

Hopefully, i'll get them in tomorrow night, and I should be good to go this weekend!!
I always soak new clutch plates overnight. I believe you lose as much as 20% of the life of the new clutch if you put them in dry.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #819
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

BP, Ya don't wanna go to Copper Canyon in the summer, it's their rainy season or as my buddy down there says,"it's monsoon season."

From late September to May is good. Cold in Dec,, Jan, Feb. and March.. They get snow in the higher elevations. I've always been in September and October so my May trip will be the first time on the early edge of rainy season. My October trip this year will be the last week of October and first week of November. Usually have frost on the bikes early in the mornings in Creel in October.

You gotta take the DR to Colorado..... There's soooooo much up there to ride. You'll wanna stay and not go back to Mass.. I have a couple of buddies that live and ride in Salida and around Loveland. They'll never leave because the riding's so good.

Steve

Quote:

Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #820
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I've already got this in CO waiting for me

If it were free/easy to take the DR I'd take it in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure I will be able to spare the time (or be able to afford the diesel) to drive and I doubt the airline will let me wheel it down the isle. I'll probably end up just riding around CO a bit. I defintely can't do a long ride between sept-may for at least another two years due to school

Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #821
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey....... That ain't no DR350.... That's a stinking Honda XR thing.

Those XR's are great bikes, just get yourself a donut to sit on cause the seats are made outta Balsa Wood !

Got a riding buddy, one of my Copper Canyon riding partners, that has an XR650R with Baja kit and an XR400 with a Baja kit. He really loves those bikes but says sitting on one for very long makes his butt go numb.

Yeah, the price of gasoline & diesel are just outta control. Even down here in Texas where we're accustomed to fairly cheap gasoline we've seen the prices go through the roof. Paid $3.35 for regular unleaded this afternoon at the cheapest place in town.

You could do Copper Canyon in the summer but you'd really need to keep an eye on the weather before heading down there.. The roads can get quite nasty but the real issue is with the stream and river crossings. Most of the rivers we cross are fairly deep even in the drier part of the year, throw a bunch of rain in the mix and you've got problems...

Two years of school will pass before ya know it.

Steve

Quote:
I've already got this in CO waiting for me

If it were free/easy to take the DR I'd take it in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure I will be able to spare the time (or be able to afford the diesel) to drive and I doubt the airline will let me wheel it down the isle. I'll probably end up just riding around CO a bit. I defintely can't do a long ride between sept-may for at least another two years due to school

Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #822
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Woohoo! Got my parts in today! It's time to begin the surgery.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #823
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Well I ordered a new jet, new diaphragm and new clutch lever from bike bandit.

The threads on the new jets are too coarse, so I'll have to send those back.

The new carb diaphragm went in beautifully and the new clutch lever is very nice although it must be off of a newer one since it's longer than the brake lever. Either way it's nice.

I tried adjusting the floats according to the manual (Clymer) and once getting everything back together I tried starting it. It sputtered a couple of times and back fired. Now it won't even sputter. It has been sitting for a little over 2 weeks without running so I hooked it up to the charger and I'll try again later. I hope I didn't throw the floats out of whack.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #824
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I hope I didn't throw the floats out of whack.

EvilGenius

I hope you don't mind if I run with your comment above.
My understanding of carbs is limited but it seems to me that the float controls the amount of fuel in the float bowl and shouldn't have an impact on how the bike starting unless they are way off. I can see the fuel level in the float bowl effecting how the bike runs but not how it starts.
Can anyone take me to school on this.
I mention this because I was out for a ride earlier today. I stopped to run into a store and started the bike up and rode off. 30 seconds later the bike started to sputter. I had forgotten to turn the petcock back on and the bike was running out of fuel. In my mind the same effect as if the float was adjusted incorrectly(too low)
Or if the float was to high would you would get fuel running out of the over-flow line?
But how the float effects how the bike starts??? I don't know.

p.s 23 degree's c. today, I was sweating in my riding gear, winter is dead, dead, dead.... dead
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #825
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Before today when I would turn the petcock to primary it would drip a little bit. Now it let's loose a torrent of gas onto the floor. I tried starting it on "on" instead and those were the results. So I'm not sure at the moment.