ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #9046
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer
 
EastBoundAndDown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Oddometer: 580
Should I be getting 45mpg on the street on my DR250SE? Its all stock jetting and motor just has a cut air box.... also it seems to sputter a but every once in a while.... think there is something i should troubleshoot? My DR350 used to get 60mpg...
__________________
"And if my thought-dreams could been seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only."

'Couple old Kawasaki's and an Orange 200
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #9047
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,243
I don't think I've ever managed worse than 50mpg and I'm usually around 60mpg.

Maybe if you really flog it and run high rpms all the time that'd be normal mileage on the 250. I'd check the usual tune up stuff and make sure you don't have a fuel leak or fuel leaking into the vacuum system if its got the stock petcock.
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #9048
Joe_Dirt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Courtenay
Oddometer: 14
Hey I have a 92 DR350 and my rear rim is bent. Do any of you guys no where i can get a used one or aftermarket one? I cant find anything.
Joe_Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #9049
rubberband
Will ride for tacos
 
rubberband's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 387
Question to those of you who have gone the big bore (385-435-etc) route. More power everywhere? Less rpm up top say at 60mph. Or do you still need to wring it out?

Just got back from a 1250mile loop with a KTM690, and 3 DR650's some higher speed sections had me looking for 7th gear. Even geared at 15-41 I was showing 6800rpm @ 75mph indicated....there were long sections like this even one 20mile solid strech. Motor was soild and the valves never moved from where they were set before the trip...
__________________
2011 UPAT
rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #9050
od al
Just aint right
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere 'tween Heaven & Hell
Oddometer: 227
Finally got the new front end on the DR350. I put the 2001 RM250 inverted forks on and they're working great. So my question now is what are the rear suspension upgrades that will work well with the new front end? I'm wondering what is needed to run a RM250 complete rear suspension.
__________________
Just cuz I aint right don't mean I'm wrong
od al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #9051
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Question to those of you who have gone the big bore (385-435-etc) route. More power everywhere? Less rpm up top say at 60mph. Or do you still need to wring it out?

Just got back from a 1250mile loop with a KTM690, and 3 DR650's some higher speed sections had me looking for 7th gear. Even geared at 15-41 I was showing 6800rpm @ 75mph indicated....there were long sections like this even one 20mile solid strech. Motor was soild and the valves never moved from where they were set before the trip...
I have a 441 big bore, pumper carb, oversize header, oversize valves, FMF pipe, blah blah blah. It makes about a million times more power than stock, (ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but not much...), but remember that no matter how much power it makes, the gearing/rpm is going to be the same.

I have more power everywhere for sure. It still screams on the highway. I find on my '94, 15-41 is still pretty short gearing. The later bikes had different primary drive gearing so the same 15-41 is taller.

I now run 16-41 with my big bore and have no complaints. Cruising at 70-75mph is now more comfortable and it has plenty of snap for passing at those speeds. Obviously it suffers a bit off-road in slow conditions, but it depends on what you're using it for.

I go 15-41 for even pretty gnarly, steep double track and single track, and 16-41 for dual sporting, and it still gets me through some tough spots with a bit of clutch work.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #9052
rubberband
Will ride for tacos
 
rubberband's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I have a 441 big bore, pumper carb, oversize header, oversize valves, FMF pipe, blah blah blah. It makes about a million times more power than stock, (ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but not much...), but remember that no matter how much power it makes, the gearing/rpm is going to be the same.

I have more power everywhere for sure. It still screams on the highway. I find on my '94, 15-41 is still pretty short gearing. The later bikes had different primary drive gearing so the same 15-41 is taller.

I now run 16-41 with my big bore and have no complaints. Cruising at 70-75mph is now more comfortable and it has plenty of snap for passing at those speeds. Obviously it suffers a bit off-road in slow conditions, but it depends on what you're using it for.

I go 15-41 for even pretty gnarly, steep double track and single track, and 16-41 for dual sporting, and it still gets me through some tough spots with a bit of clutch work.

dc
Thanks Doc. Thats kinda what i was thinking.... in it's current state of tune I would not want to go any taller with the gearing. You are right it's a later 97 model bike.
__________________
2011 UPAT
rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #9053
jonnykilo
Traveller
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: East Coast Canada
Oddometer: 205
Lowering links...

Anyone know what is available, or for that matter have any lowering kits avail for a '95 350? They only way I can sell buying another bike (orange preferably) is to lower the DR for my shorter (5'5") s.o. to ride.

jak
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #9054
rubberband
Will ride for tacos
 
rubberband's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykilo View Post
Anyone know what is available, or for that matter have any lowering kits avail for a '95 350? They only way I can sell buying another bike (orange preferably) is to lower the DR for my shorter (5'5") s.o. to ride.

jak
Electric carving knife.....trim the seat, and restretch the material.
__________________
2011 UPAT
rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #9055
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer
 
dav_dman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: louisville ky/southern indiana
Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Electric carving knife.....trim the seat, and restretch the material.
works awesome, been there done that and feet touch the ground ..dropped a 37" seat ht to 35 on the xr650L. I had an upholstery shop do it per my instructions cuz i didnt want to mess with staples and i wanted ss staples put back in..cost me 65 bux.
__________________
dirt bikes, vstrom, cruiser, etc.
"what hurts, instructs" - ben franklin
dav_dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #9056
ga4boats
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 41
Former 97 DR350 owner here; I posted a WTB ad in the Flea Market looking for a DS DR350 and only got one response. Anyone know of any for sale? I live in the Atlanta area.
Thanks, Brent.
ga4boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #9057
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
works awesome, been there done that and feet touch the ground ..dropped a 37" seat ht to 35 on the xr650L. I had an upholstery shop do it per my instructions cuz i didnt want to mess with staples and i wanted ss staples put back in..cost me 65 bux.
This is a good step, but your S.O. needs more than a seat shave to get her feet on the ground.

You need these as well.

http://www.koubalink.com/drinstall.html

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #9058
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bowtie76's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Charlottesville
Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga4boats View Post
Former 97 DR350 owner here; I posted a WTB ad in the Flea Market looking for a DS DR350 and only got one response. Anyone know of any for sale? I live in the Atlanta area.
Thanks, Brent.
I've got a 350 but I swapped the engine for a 250 that I'm about ready to sell.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #9059
ga4boats
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 41
If you have a chance, can you PM me with some pictures and details?

Thanks, Brent.
ga4boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #9060
jonnykilo
Traveller
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: East Coast Canada
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
This is a good step, but your S.O. needs more than a seat shave to get her feet on the ground.

You need these as well.

http://www.koubalink.com/drinstall.html

dc
I know. I was kinda hoping someone on here might have a set to sell - gotta save my pennies if I want to afford some orange this season.....
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014