Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #991
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
I wouldn't worry too much about the crank pin failure issue. So far, it only seems to have occurred on a handful of DR350s. It's like getting hit by lightening; it may happen but the odds are really low.

And, yeah, I was going to mention the yellow frame thing, too. My '99 has a dark gray colored frame. I don't recall the '99 dirt model being a different color. My old '97SE had a purple frame. You might do a Google search for DR350 images and see what comes up. For some reason, '96 pops into my head.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #992
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Whoops, sorry. You're "inseam challenged" like my wife. I bought her a DR250S with the magic button for similar reasons (and the fact she had issues with kick starting a bike). Good luck with your search. And, yeah, if we had a better idea of where you actually were, we might be able to alert you to CL posts.
Cool thanks! My location is Mars - ok... Mars Hill to be correct. It's about 20 miles north of Asheville
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #993
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
I wouldn't worry too much about the crank pin failure issue. So far, it only seems to have occurred on a handful of DR350s. It's like getting hit by lightening; it may happen but the odds are really low.

And, yeah, I was going to mention the yellow frame thing, too. My '99 has a dark gray colored frame. I don't recall the '99 dirt model being a different color. My old '97SE had a purple frame. You might do a Google search for DR350 images and see what comes up. For some reason, '96 pops into my head.
Thanks for the response. I did do an image search and saw a yellow frame on an older model. The guy says it's a 99. I will see it Sat. and check the title, frame, and engine numbers. I am trading him my Husky 360 for it plus giving him some money.
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #994
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by risktaker
I am about to pull the trigger on a 99 DR 350 with 5000 miles on it. I read the info about the crank pin letting go and destroying the motor. How much concern should I have about this. Have any of you had the fix done. It sounds like a pain since one has to split the cases to get to the problem area. Should I just stay away form this bike or take my chances? I don't want to have to do the repair nor do I want the engine to be destroyed.
This is what I am referring to: http://www.kientech.com/toppage1.htm
Thanks for any advice.

Also here are some pics of it:

Graphics are correct for the year, but I am wondering if the frame was repainted or from an older model? Any help on that? Thanks again.
i'm pretty sure for the pin issue all you have to do is remove the clutch cover so that you can see the cam chain and gears. the sprocket is held on by a nut, you have to remove that nut and sprocket to see what's behind it. atleast that's what i get from how to do it. it doesn't seem like it's a big deal unless you actually need to repair it. i've got almost 10k on mine and nothing yet. if i was going to keep it a little longer i would check it but i'm not so it's not really a big concern of mine, but then again it was never really a big concern to me at all.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #995
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
i'm pretty sure for the pin issue all you have to do is remove the clutch cover so that you can see the cam chain and gears. the sprocket is held on by a nut, you have to remove that nut and sprocket to see what's behind it. atleast that's what i get from how to do it. it doesn't seem like it's a big deal unless you actually need to repair it. i've got almost 10k on mine and nothing yet. if i was going to keep it a little longer i would check it but i'm not so it's not really a big concern of mine, but then again it was never really a big concern to me at all.
Thanks Alex. I am thinking that it shouldn't be something to hold me back from the trade. This will be my 3rd DS bike in the stable so it won't get a ton of use over a year. It may turn into a loaner for friends? If the pin does go, I won't have a lot of money into this transaction so it won't hurt too badly. LOL Thanks again.
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #996
crewchief673
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hey everyone, any ideas on where I can get a good service manual for my 97 DR350/441 big bore? A shop manual is $90!! Any alternative suggestions will be appreciated.
crewchief673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #997
jj650
dual sport junky

Oddometer: 11
dirt wheels vs. S model wheels? 250/350

I know this is a 350 thread, bikes share the same parts. I have a 91 250s, and have an extra set of dirt tires and wheels. The rear rim doesn't have the cush drive like my S model. I ordered the correct spacers to make the wheel center in the swingarm. I tried to put the sprocket from my S wheel on the dirt wheel and the sprocket bolt pattern and inside diameter is bigger? I looked at the microfiche on Ronnies and the sprocket numbers are different. I looked the sprockets up on Rockymountain and they list the same part numbers? I want to make sure I order the right one the first time. Does anybody know if this sounds correct? Thanks!
jj650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #998
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Does anyone know the tread depth of the MT21 front tire? I bought the bike with the tires on it and haven't had a problem with the front, but am replacing the rear and would like to know approximately how much tread I will gain on the front if I replace it.

Now I just need to stay off the streets until the Six Days of Michigan is over!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #999
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Hello all, I was thinking of getting the gut's tall seat foam in combination with a new cover. Does the taller seat foam lower the forward slope of the seat? Does it also make the seat wider at all? I ask because my wife says she always feels like she's slipping off the bike in turns when riding two up.

Also, I'm getting allot of heat from the header pipe, any of you try to affix a heat shield to it? Any bolt on options?
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #1000
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
This is not true. To inspect/address the issue, you have to split the cases. Jesse Kientz has a write up about it on his web site (kientech.com)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief673
Hey everyone, any ideas on where I can get a good service manual for my 97 DR350/441 big bore? A shop manual is $90!! Any alternative suggestions will be appreciated.
I use a 1990-94 Clymer manual for my '99 DR350SE. If there's anything missing or specific to the '99, I happen to have a Suzuki DR350 Shop manual on CD. I bought the CD from a member ('sgoeb13') over at Maximum Suzuki. I haven't seen posts from him in quite some time and am unsure if he's still into DRs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys
Does anyone know the tread depth of the MT21 front tire? I bought the bike with the tires on it and haven't had a problem with the front, but am replacing the rear and would like to know approximately how much tread I will gain on the front if I replace it.

Now I just need to stay off the streets until the Six Days of Michigan is over!
I have a set of MT21s on my "dirt" wheel-set. They have about 500 off-road miles on them but still seem to be in really good shape. Let me see what mine measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeedubya
Hello all, I was thinking of getting the gut's tall seat foam in combination with a new cover. Does the taller seat foam lower the forward slope of the seat? Does it also make the seat wider at all? I ask because my wife says she always feels like she's slipping off the bike in turns when riding two up.

Also, I'm getting allot of heat from the header pipe, any of you try to affix a heat shield to it? Any bolt on options?
I can't help with your seat question (I bought a Corbin) but I have a heat shield on my stock pipe. If your shield is gone or the pipe isn't stock, you'll probably have to fab something or perhaps use header wrap? I don't particularly like header wrap because it can trap moisture and focuses the heat in the metal. Both cause premature metal fatigue and failure. Stock shields are probably available thru Ayers or Bike Bandit.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #1001
Texklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Picked up a 93 DR350 with 3k miles

What am I in for? Problems? Solutions? Runs great, haven't ridden it yet, my Dad picked it up for me.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #1002
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texklr
What am I in for? Problems? Solutions? Runs great, haven't ridden it yet, my Dad picked it up for me.
I think a lot of FUN!

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #1003
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
I'm adding this ride to the stable this weekend it's Delkron97's bike. I know he hates to sell it, but I'm glad he is . Although this bike shouldn't need anything done I will still be checking this thread.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #1004
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Ok I do have one DR350 question already I read about the crank issues but it didn't have the 91's as a year that were a concern. Is this true?

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White

KneeKicker screwed with this post 06-11-2008 at 12:46 PM
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #1005
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys
Does anyone know the tread depth of the MT21 front tire?
Mine measured .40"