Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #10306
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
The only point is that I'm moving much of the balance weight to the inside of the rim in a, more-or-less, permanently equal manner. Completely a personal preference thing on my part: I just don't want so many balance weights on the outside of the rim. My original rim locks are trashed and I'd have to re-balance anyway with replacement locks that will weigh differently. So, I'm spending a couple more dollars on bead locks and a couple less dollars on balance weights.

According to the spare parts catalogs, the street version did not come with rim locks, but the dirt version did.

At normal street tire pressures, I can't see any need for rim locks. But I ride a lot of rocky terrain at lower tire pressures. Maybe I don't need bead locks at all, I don't know, but I'm keeping them on because I don't want to risk it.

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Running 8 PSi in a D606 rear, I was pretty easily able to spin the rear enough to rip the stem out of the tube.

I am setting up 2 sets of wheels -- street with no rim-locks (for the weekly commute) and dirt with 2 locks spaced as Greg described (for playing in the dirt.)
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #10307
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I need to replace both of my rim locks. When I do, I'm buying two for each rim and I'm going to mount them 180 degrees apart. I certainly do not need another rim lock to keep my bed from spinning. Rather, this should really help keep the wheel much more in balance and require many fewer stick on balance weights.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
So you are going to be drilling new holes in the rim?

All DR350's wheels come with holes already drilled for rim locks. (statement not intended for you Greg but FYI to new-to-rim-lock folks)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #10308
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
So you are going to be drilling new holes in the rim?

All DR350's wheels come with holes already drilled for rim locks. (statement not intended for you Greg but FYI to new-to-rim-lock folks)
I used the 1 existing hole and drilled a 2nd 180 degrees out.
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #10309
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Does this sound ok?

Here's a run down of my bike:

3rd owner
4500 miles at purchase, now 14k
Only used Suzuki 4-stroke engine oil since I bought it
Engine all stock
Runs fine
50 mpg off road
62 mpg on road
Uni-filter is the only after market engine related.
Check and adjust valves every year
Transmission is getting hard to shift with clutch pulled in when not moving, bad but not too the point that I can't ride.
Does use some oil but nothing I'd consider abnormal since it's usually turning 5K most of the time
Cam chain tensioner has 1/4" of travel left
Skid plate is coated with bed liner, sounds pretty much the same without it on
Bike starts right up, bike hasn't been started since Saturday when I took the video today.

Okay with that over take a look at this video I made today and tell me if my engine noise is excessive.

Thanks,

SP

Suzuki Phil screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 07:14 PM Reason: add more information
Suzuki Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #10310
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
Sounds a bit noisy Mate , could be piston slap or it could just be cam chain stretch, 1/4 inch ain't much left .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #10311
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,886
I recently purchased a 95 DR350SE with 1200 miles and part of that purchase was based on the notion that DR's are reliable. But, I also read about these engines failing or developing serious issues at a early age, say under 20K miles.

Just How long can these engines last when properly maintained and used 60/40 on road and off road?

I'm used to owning 100,000 mile engines so when I read about these problems like running out of cam chain tension adjustment, replacing rings, clutch basket/bushing drag, shifting issues, etc. I begin to think is it poor maintenance, abuse or the limitations of a DR engine.

So far I am very impressed with this bike and am happy I purchased it but realistically what kind of service limits can I expect?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #10312
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I recently purchased a 95 DR350SE with 1200 miles and part of that purchase was based on the notion that DR's are reliable. But, I also read about these engines failing or developing serious issues at a early age, say under 20K miles.

Just How long can these engines last when properly maintained and used 60/40 on road and off road?

I'm used to owning 100,000 mile engines so when I read about these problems like running out of cam chain tension adjustment, replacing rings, clutch basket/bushing drag, shifting issues, etc. I begin to think is it poor maintenance, abuse or the limitations of a DR engine.

So far I am very impressed with this bike and am happy I purchased it but realistically what kind of service limits can I expect?
I would say with this. 100k on an ol single... dont think I would ever get there... or would many. DRs are as reliable as any well made single and if it went bang would it cost the earth to sort. I had an XR400 once that I put in the shop for a full engine rebuild as it was noisy... had bearings, piston rings, head done valves blah blah cost me 600 ish. Lots of money but bike was back to new and had many thousands of miles fun trouble free. On the flip side I had a Subaru Impreza that had a new clutch once... also 600...... for a friggin clutch!!!!! A cam belt service on it was then the same kind of money...... shit wish I had a single cyl DR ??
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #10313
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
I would say with this. 100k on an ol single... dont think I would ever get there... or would many. DRs are as reliable as any well made single and if it went bang would it cost the earth to sort. I had an XR400 once that I put in the shop for a full engine rebuild as it was noisy... had bearings, piston rings, head done valves blah blah cost me 600 ish. Lots of money but bike was back to new and had many thousands of miles fun trouble free. On the flip side I had a Subaru Impreza that had a new clutch once... also 600...... for a friggin clutch!!!!! A cam belt service on it was then the same kind of money...... shit wish I had a single cyl DR ??
It's not about the repair costs, it is about durability and dependability and whether or not I should veiw a DR engine as short lived and disposable.

I don't think a DR is "as reliable as any well made single" , BMW F650's quickly come to mind and are know for their long service life without engine overhauling.

Honda's NX650's have been know to run 60,000+ miles without major engine issues.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #10314
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
If it doesn't go 100,000 miles so what?
You needed a big bore kit anyway. A few hundred bucks and a weekend, you're in business again.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #10315
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
It's not about the repair costs, it is about durability and dependability and whether or not I should veiw a DR engine as short lived and disposable.

I don't think a DR is "as reliable as any well made single" , BMW F650's quickly come to mind and are know for their long service life without engine overhauling.

Honda's NX650's have been know to run 60,000+ miles without major engine issues.
Trouble is then you read too much on internet. Theres plenty of DRs done long hard miles without troubles... as there are Dommis as there are GS 650s Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh sorry I nodded off
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #10316
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Zuki Fill- My buddies DR sounds the same. Was like that the day he got it. Now 5K+ is sounds the same. Check the valves cam chain, everything looks right?? Who knows. There is a trick you get a little more tension out of the stock auto cam chain tensioner, he has yest to do. Hopes it quites things down. Let me find a link. He is jsut going to ride it till it blows up. Which might be never.

Mass- I think the longivety of the engine has a lot to do with how you ride it. Since the DR is much more dirt orineted riders tend to wringe the shit out of the motors. I know on some hill climbs I will redline and bounch off the limiter for the duration of the climb, and i think others do the same. Or my buddy who has his geared a little lower and takes it on the highway running at 8.5K rpm for 15 min at a time. How many people do that with their BMW 650's. Also what you read on the net is a very small population of the DR's out there. And most poeple post only when they have a problem. Most of all the DR owners I have meet NEVER post anything about their bikes.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #10317
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2E4b...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #10318
Steve B
explorer

Oddometer: 73
DR350 misses at high RPM

Any idea what causes my DR350 to start missing when I exceed 7200 RPM? I can get on it and everything is smooth, good pull and power until I cross the 7000 RPM range then the bike misses a spark. 4500 miles 1990 DR350

I have new fuel filter, cleaned carb and replaced float, new plug. I guess next will be new plug wire tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve B
1999 DR650SE
1991 DR350S
1980 XL250
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #10319
Steve B
explorer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Any idea what causes my DR350 to start missing when I exceed 7200 RPM? I can get on it and everything is smooth, good pull and power until I cross the 7000 RPM range then the bike misses a spark. 4500 miles 1990 DR350

I have new fuel filter, cleaned carb and replaced float, new plug. I guess next will be new plug wire tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve B

Jesse says I'm running out of fuel and change jet to 145 since I have big bore 405 in it.. I will try this.
1999 DR650SE
1991 DR350S
1980 XL250
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #10320
mas335
xendurist

MrPulldown, thanks for the reply. All the DR engine problems I read about on the internet are right here on this page as I started reading from page one to try and get up to speed.

I never expected this bike to be a 100,000 mile engine but at this point I haven't heard anyway with a mileage answer. Anyone riding a DR350 with say 40K on a unmolested engine? I like knowing that if a engine can reliably last a long time it generally says something about quaility of engineering.

I am simply trying to get idea of what this engine is capable of as to longevity without major issues. 10K 20K 30K? I raced KTM's for 7 years and if I wanted high maintenance I would have bought another one.

I looked for a long time to find a DR350, 95% of what I found was either not running, not running right, ran good the last time I ran it, had carb problems and didn't run right, had rebuilt top ends ( by questionable talent), clutch dragging or in general just a POS with no title. Even the bike I bought which only has 1,200 miles on it claimed to be running good but very cold natured, it was anything but the truth, Carb O rings were short, carb was dirty and it was running way too rich, plus the engine had a oil leak from loose engine case bolts and just about every other bolt was loose as well.

I like the bike and it will suit my needs but I like knowing IF it can last a good long while.
Attached Images