Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #11326
heyitsdaver
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Alright, I got a DR350 about a year ago (my first bike!) and it ran for a few weeks before it starting spitting out gas. Running rich? I cleaned and rebuilt the carb a bit (new gasket mainly) and took it to a shop to put it back together. It ran for another week then starting leaking gas from the carb.

Is it likely I just need a brand new carb from jesse? Is there any other part on the bike that could really be causing this outside of the carb?

THANKS!
heyitsdaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #11327
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsdaver View Post
Alright, I got a DR350 about a year ago (my first bike!) and it ran for a few weeks before it starting spitting out gas. Running rich? I cleaned and rebuilt the carb a bit (new gasket mainly) and took it to a shop to put it back together. It ran for another week then starting leaking gas from the carb.

Is it likely I just need a brand new carb from jesse? Is there any other part on the bike that could really be causing this outside of the carb?

THANKS!
Let's not think about the new carb thing just yet , where is it leaking gas exactly ? It may just be a leaking stop valve on the fuel bowl . Reconditioning a card takes a little more than just changing a gasket , cleaning the whole thing jets and all could have you up and running without too much expense .

If you can post some pics on where the leak is and many here will be all to willing to help you out Mate .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #11328
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Last summer when I was on my ~2000 mile dual sport trip on my DR350, I thought I wanted a windshield. I bought the slip stream and mounted it up. My yield was a lot of new wind noise and helmet buffeting. So much so that I took it back off before starting the trip (and later sold it). I'm not saying it can't be made to work, just that I was unable to make it work well for me (the drawbacks did not outweigh the benefits). The trip was great without the shield and I've no desire to fit another one.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thanks. Sounds like I should just enjoy the ride. Maybe more heated clothing is in order...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #11329
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemigo View Post
I got the acerbis tank and love it. I like that it came with petcocks and was an easy install.
I am also pondering windshield options and felt the same about the Spitfire.
Lowering: The kouba links i got from Jesse at Kientech made a 2" difference on mine.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. I'll take your advice. Let me know if you find a better windshield option.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #11330
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Let me know if you find a better windshield option.
I put a Britannia Composites Lynx on my DR, and have taken it on the highway w/o problems - and indeed, when slid all the way up it keeps the wind from trying to peel me off the bike and doesn't seem to generate turbulence around my helmet. I'm 5'9".

The Lynx is not your cheapest option, and will require some fitting to mount to the DR - but the windshield works well and the dual headlight setup makes the stock headlight seem like a bic lighter.

Here it is, with the windshield down for the dirt:

PS: Acerbis tank and Seat Concepts foam/cover. Both also recommended.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #11331
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsdaver View Post

THANKS!
You may need part 17 shown here.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...oup/CARBURETOR

If it is bad gas will leak by the needle/seat assembly.

That diagram is for my bike, so if you order it be sure that you do so for your year, model etc.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #11332
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
You may need part 17 shown here.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...oup/CARBURETOR

If it is bad gas will leak by the needle/seat assembly.

That diagram is for my bike, so if you order it be sure that you do so for your year, model etc.
I agree the most common cause for carb leaks is the o ring at the base of the needle seat. The Ron Ayres site listed above shows the o ring as discontinued. But it has just been replaced by a different part number that Ron Ayres doesn't list.

It is list here:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...emblies/120413

This is for a 1997 DR350SE. As CWC said make sure you are buying the on for your bike. If yours is the dirt model it will have a completely different carb.

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #11333
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,536
For anyone near Seattle in the market for a DR350SE I saw one at Bent Bike in Lynnwood today. It's a 99 with 3500 miles on it. There is some rust, but I was told it runs fine. The rubber looks pretty new. The wanted $1850 for it which is WAY too high.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #11334
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
For anyone near Seattle in the market for a DR350SE I saw one at Bent Bike in Lynnwood today. It's a 99 with 3500 miles on it. There is some rust, but I was told it runs fine. The rubber looks pretty new. The wanted $1850 for it which is WAY too high.

Decent price for a 99.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #11335
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Eek pumper=decomp kicks?

Is kicking 10-15 times while pulling decomp the same as twisting the throttle a couple times when I have a pumper? If it is, do I twist it before or after finding the tdc?
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #11336
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Decent price for a 99.
I would agree, but not the condition of this one.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #11337
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I put a Britannia Composites Lynx on my DR.....

Wow. It is cool that it is adjustable. Not sure I want to spend that much though. Something to think about.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #11338
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
I agree the most common cause for carb leaks is the o ring at the base of the needle seat. The Ron Ayres site listed above shows the o ring as discontinued. But it has just been replaced by a different part number that Ron Ayres doesn't list.

It is list here:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...emblies/120413

Tim
Actually you can buy the part fron Ron Ayers because it is used on the DR650SE and other bikes. Why they don't list it for the DR350SE is a mystery. It's a buck cheaper at RA too.

Or you can go to a good autoparts store and buy a Buna-N o-ring of the same size for $.25-$.50 which is what I did last time I needed one.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #11339
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Wow. It is cool that it is adjustable. Not sure I want to spend that much though. Something to think about.
Yeah. You have to factor in not just the windshield, but the excellent dual headlight system - and the "dashboard" that gives an excellent place to mount a GPS. If you don't need/want all three, it's too much.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #11340
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
oil vavle checks?

I was changing my oil out every 500. But then I see that the interval is more like 3k. I do it about every1000-1500. But it seems like forever or never.

Every time I check the valves they are spot on. I am begining to think that they never need to be adjusted either.

The only thing my bike ever NEEDS is gas and a air filter wash.

I checked my manual and it says to change oil and filter at 600 miles. Where did you see that it is 3k?