Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #11596
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
You must crash harder than me, hopefully you don't crash as often as me.

Stock bars have done alright on all my dirt bikes, but next time I have a bunch of cash and free time I'll invest in some aftermarket bars.
Oh, don't underestimate me. I crash hard AND often due to poor skills.

Seriously, the Al bars are cheap and very good. Although the Al bars are thicker walled so any barkbusters you use may need different sized inserts to make them work.

Occupying the stable - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2002 KTM LC4E, and a 2007 KLX250S.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #11597
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

I'm tearing down my friends carb trying to figure out why it doesn't run.

I thought it would have wildly bad jetting and the stock petcock, but...

....I don't have it in front of me but I think the petcock on the bike is the Raptor660 petcock. I don't remember a vacuum port on the back.

....The carb has the vacuum port (rt side and angled forward) IS blocked.

....The exhaust is stock. Or...how would I know if the stock exhaust has been altered by Keintech?

....The jetting is 37.5/135 which may be WRONG for the 91 model. If I read this forum correctly, a 91 should be jetted 37.5/127.5 if no exhaust/airbox mods have been performed.

....Once again, the bike is not in front of me, so I don't know if the airbox has been modded or not.

....There appear to be no mods to the BST33 CV carb. In the past, I've drilled the slide air holes and shortened the spring for quicker response. Is this not performed for a DR350?

My immediate questions are: Would the 135 main jet be appropriate for a totally stock 91 model or even for a modded airbox. Seems like the jump from 127.5 is way too much.

Should I be modifying the slide for response?

If the airbox is opened up - should the pilot jet jump from 37.5 to 40?

Thanks in advance. Very nice crew here.

Occupying the stable - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2002 KTM LC4E, and a 2007 KLX250S.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #11598
Ghostpilots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
How bad would it be to double up on an engine case gasket? I recently pulled an old gasket and replaced it but when I filled the case back up with oil I continue to have a small leak coming from the back rear of the case. I'm almost positive the new gasket is fine, and that I'm just not getting a good seal.

So what are my options to fix the issue? Double gasket? Gasket maker paste around the edges? New engine case?
Ghostpilots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #11599
Atom00
Young Rider

Oddometer: 24
valves

I was planning on checking my valve clearance on my own since the local shop feels $170 is a fair price. In the manual it says I need to drain the oil before removing the TDC plug. Is there any way around this?
Atom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #11600
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00 View Post
I was planning on checking my valve clearance on my own since the local shop feels $170 is a fair price. In the manual it says I need to drain the oil before removing the TDC plug. Is there any way around this?
No need to drain the oil, I've never quite understood why the manual says so...?
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #11601
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
No need to drain the oil, I've never quite understood why the manual says so...?
+1

Make sure you're on TDC!
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #11602
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan View Post

....The exhaust is stock. Or...how would I know if the stock exhaust has been altered by Keintech?

Thanks in advance. Very nice crew here.
Quoted from Keintech website:

DR350 Stock exhaust mod. Outlet size is increased from 7/8" to a 1 1/2" ($65.00)+(Return Shipping cost)

I've had a few folks notice how large the outlet was, and ask about it.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #11603
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
Thanks for that bit of info!
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #11604
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
New DR to me

Well folks I just got home with my new 1993 DR. I bought it because my KLR was just to big in the woods. The DR has only 1500 miles on it and runs beautiful. I'm just wondering what things I might do to insure longevity. It definitely needs a new chain. I put WD 40 on it to loosen it up and as I spun the back wheel, (by hand, no less) the little rubber spacers in the links started spitting out all over.l I'm not the brightest, but I figure that means new chain. As the sprockets only have 1500 miles, and don't look worn, I figure I can just put a new chain on and go. But that might be foolish. It seems from what I've read here, I should just change the sprockets to lower gearing (as long as I have to buy a chain anyway) and I'll be that much farther ahead. This bike will not be used for any long highway trips, 50-100 miles tops, just to get to different parts of the woods up here in New York, and New England. So, any input you folks would have to offer I'd like to hear. I also have never owned a bike with the oil in the frame.

I am looking for the left gas tank plastic and left side cover for the battery if anyone has a lead on that.

Thanks for any input.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #11605
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,394
gas tank plastic

Hey ....
I have a set of gas tank shrouds ... check out my thread (at the link below) for pictures to see if it's what you need..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773064

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydinFool View Post
Well folks I just got home with my new 1993 DR. I bought it because my KLR was just to big in the woods. The DR has only 1500 miles on it and runs beautiful. I'm just wondering what things I might do to insure longevity. It definitely needs a new chain. I put WD 40 on it to loosen it up and as I spun the back wheel, (by hand, no less) the little rubber spacers in the links started spitting out all over.l I'm not the brightest, but I figure that means new chain. As the sprockets only have 1500 miles, and don't look worn, I figure I can just put a new chain on and go. But that might be foolish. It seems from what I've read here, I should just change the sprockets to lower gearing (as long as I have to buy a chain anyway) and I'll be that much farther ahead. This bike will not be used for any long highway trips, 50-100 miles tops, just to get to different parts of the woods up here in New York, and New England. So, any input you folks would have to offer I'd like to hear. I also have never owned a bike with the oil in the frame.

I am looking for the left gas tank plastic and left side cover for the battery if anyone has a lead on that.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #11606
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Gas smell

I bought my 1995 DR350SE over the winter. It has an acerbis tank and the aftermarket carburetor (I think Mikuni). It sits in my garage and ever since I got it there has been a very strong smell of gas. I make sure both petcocks are off when I don't use it. It may also be the gas tank cap with the breather. Any idea why? Should I put back my old fuel tank - I got it in the purchase as well. I don't use the bike for long distances - I have a VFR set up for that. Thanks for any advice!
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #11607
AKTobias
Frugal Badass

Oddometer: 240
Alaska DR350 needs help

I drove 8 hours in -35 to Fairbanks earlier this winter to pick up a '95 DR350SE. I knew it was a good bike, with 14k miles, but just needed a facelift.

So I am prepping it for riding in Alaska ... and put on the 5.8 gallon Acerbis tank (originally made for the XR400), new plastics, heated grips, new seat, etc. It's quite sexy now. I'm even creating my own decals.

But, yesterday and today in riding ... now that the ice is finally off the roads ... I've realized I have a few issues with the bike.

Issue #1: Hesistations when running up to 6K RPMs. Slight, but they are there.
Issue #2: When I'm driving at higher RPMs, and I drop the RPMS when coming to a stop, the bike sputters and is dead or dying by the time I get stopped.

Here's one thought. The bike was runnning fine earlier this winter when I had ice screws on. I only ran it up to about 45 mph, and HIgh and low RPMs it did great. I rode several times like this, but it was cold outside (20-30 degrees). Last week, I started farting around with the vent tube on the tank cap, so I could mount a tank bag. This started happening since then.

Should I have kept the RAPTOR petcock and installed it on this Acerbis tank?
I currently have no vent hose on the tank cap ... but I do have the rubber nipple thing inside it. Is this an issue?

Ill post a few pics tomorrow. I think you guys will like the DR650 headlight with the XR400 tank and custom seat with a custom rack. All iIdeas I got from this site.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #11608
james1300
Track Dazed

Oddometer: 162
Question 96' DR350SE Chain Guide?

I'm restoring a 96' DR350SE-T.
I got the engine runnig nice. New handlebars and cables, Now I'm looking at the swing arm. On the 'bottom' of the arm towards the rear there was a chain guide.(See Picture #34 in Picture).
Mine is a mess. The nylon is sheared off.
Some parts places list this as a (optional) part. Is it?
I plan to ride off-road alot with this bike.
Also there is one chain roller on top of the swing arem. Are there supposed to be any more?
Thank you in Advance!
Jim
james1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #11609
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ
Got my bike out for a ride today and when I got home I noticed the tank (aftermarket 4 gal plastic deal) seemed swollen or something. I unscrewed the cap letting out a bunch of pressure and could actually see it shrink in size.

Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

I checked the breather hose and it seems to let air into the tank, but not out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur View Post
Replacement of the stubby vent hose might fix it... sounds like it's not working right.
If it happened to me I'd probably just install a long vent hose of plain tubing like they all had in the Pre EPA days.
Took a look at this the other day. There is a one way valve/short hose swivel thing that connects the cap to a longer piece of vent hose. I ran a drill bit through it so now it lets air into AND out of the tank.

Problem solved!
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #11610
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
I'm restoring a 96' DR350SE-T.
I got the engine runnig nice. New handlebars and cables, Now I'm looking at the swing arm. On the 'bottom' of the arm towards the rear there was a chain guide.(See Picture #34 in Picture).
Mine is a mess. The nylon is sheared off.
Some parts places list this as a (optional) part. Is it?
I plan to ride off-road alot with this bike.
Also there is one chain roller on top of the swing arem. Are there supposed to be any more?
Thank you in Advance!
Jim
I wouldn't run without one myself. It keeps the chain feeding onto the rear sproket and prevents the chain derailing.

The plastic on mine cracked, too and I replaced it with a better quality aftermarket version.

http://www.kientech.com/DR350AdjustableChainGuide.htm

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote