Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #11701
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Ok, i've spoke with one person who has done the RM fork swap and read a few threads and posts here from people that have done it. Two things; is there a thread somewhere on the pros and cons and differences between different year forks and what is involved in the swap with respect to rims, axles, brakes, etc...

I see people commenting about 96-98 forks, whats wrong with th 99 and newer as I have an opportunity to buy some 99 RM250 forks.
I jsut finsihed doing the 98 RM fork swap. As of my first ride (with old fork oil) I am not impressed. Though it was jsut a rutted dirt road. I have not ridden my dr in 4 months either, so it is not really a head to head comparision.

The 96-98 were dual chamber conventional forks. 99+ are up side down. What it comes down to is conventional vs USD forks. The jist is USD is more of a MX fork and conventional a trail bike fork. The pre 96 RM USD forks were said to be total crap, as they were jsut using them due to market demand. People think USD forks are sexy.

What ever you end up doing, you will need the entire front end: forks, triples, wheels, calipers, rotors. Then you will have to deal with insturmentation, head lights, blinkers; I am currently at that stage. The only drop in fork is an early 89ish RM fork as they are 43mm fork tubes like ours. Even then the wheel is different.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #11702
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Just watched Mondo Enduro. Great show! Now I really do want a DR350.
Watch Tera Circa, you enjoy it as well!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #11703
.tdc
b00b

Oddometer: 14
does anyone have a kickstand in good shape laying around? preferably blue. some previous owner shortened mine and left the end a cut off pipe. i could (and probably will) weld a pad to the end, but i'd like to get my hands on a good stock one.
.tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #11704
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Rim lock question

Hey All,
n00b rim lock question for the masses. Never had a bike that used them before, and my '95 SE came with them installed (complete with the studs pulling out of the disintegrating rubber).

I'll be ordering a pair of Trakmasters in the near future. I rarely, if ever (I mean almost never) ride serious trails enough to need substantial airing down. Maybe 20psi for the 2-track or gravel that I spend most of my offroad time on. Is there a need for rim locks at this pressure?
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #11705
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Watch Tera Circa, you enjoy it as well!
Will do.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #11706
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
Hey All,
n00b rim lock question for the masses. Never had a bike that used them before, and my '95 SE came with them installed (complete with the studs pulling out of the disintegrating rubber).

I'll be ordering a pair of Trakmasters in the near future. I rarely, if ever (I mean almost never) ride serious trails enough to need substantial airing down. Maybe 20psi for the 2-track or gravel that I spend most of my offroad time on. Is there a need for rim locks at this pressure?
IMHO, no.
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #11707
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I run them in my off road tires/wheels. Though I never air down, I figure this is a good insurance for a flat tire. With the stiff side walls of modern dual sport tires, you can basiclly run them flat. THe rim lock insures they don't spin.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #11708
pavlos79
Stuck in an Island

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tdc View Post
does anyone have a kickstand in good shape laying around? preferably blue. some previous owner shortened mine and left the end a cut off pipe. i could (and probably will) weld a pad to the end, but i'd like to get my hands on a good stock one.
PM sent!
pavlos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #11709
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
Hey All,

My '97 SE does not have rim locks. I air down all the time, ride in the desert and have never had a flat. YMMV
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #11710
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
I have two of them. PM sent.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #11711
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlos79 View Post
PM sent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I have two of them. PM sent.
I've found much needed stuff here (ADV) in the past.
Gotta' love this place! I do...
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #11712
spannerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hi just got dr 350 and head gasket leaked after week have stripped down and found it is 385cc big bore i have a k+n air filter for it and dep silencer anyone had this set up before ???? what jetting works best , standard at moment 127.5 main 37.5 pilot , also where can i get head gasket in 82/83mm for big bore thanks
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #11713
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
Hi just got dr 350 and head gasket leaked after week have stripped down and found it is 385cc big bore i have a k+n air filter for it and dep silencer anyone had this set up before ???? what jetting works best , standard at moment 127.5 main 37.5 pilot , also where can i get head gasket in 82/83mm for big bore thanks
Cometic sells an 82mm

http://www.cometic.com/powersports.aspx

If the K&N is the paper type and if you're ever going to ride where it's dusty, I'd swap it out for a foam type. K&N paper filters clog up quickly.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #11714
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
You'll want at least a 140 main jet on that baby. 127.5 is stock, and it was lean to begin with. I run a 137.5 on my stock 350. The big bore is going to want more juice than that. Pilot is probably fine.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #11715
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
DRZ250 swingarm for DR350?

Anyone try to shoehorn the DRZ250 swingarm into the DR350?

Apparently swingarm pivot bearing 22x29x30 and rear axle bearings 20x47x14 are identical. Shock eye to eye length are identical. Swingarm pivot bolt part #s are slightly different: 1105281 vs 1105287. I'm unable to verify rear hub width as the part #s are also different: 11110789 vs. 11110787.

I've asked tdrrally if he would take some measurementsto compare his DR350 and DRZ250.

Seavoyage screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 03:02 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote