Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #11746
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
The dirt model tank won't mount in the front, but the rear mounts will be fine. My friend is running one on his S model and is using zip ties on the front. It's been on there for a long time and it hasn't moved.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #11747
.tdc
b00b

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The dirt model tank does not have the same mounts as the S model.
sure doesn't, that's why i'm looking to unload it.
.tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #11748
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Just curious, what's different about the tank mount on the street model? Just a different location?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #11749
.tdc
b00b

the street model's metal tank has a couple C shaped tabs that slide over rubber pucks and then the rear is bolted down to keep it in place.
the dirt model has a plastic tank with aluminum brackets that stick out a bit and bolt to the frame and the rear bolts down the same as the street model.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #11750
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
Anyone try to shoehorn the DRZ250 swingarm into the DR350?

Apparently swingarm pivot bearing 22x29x30 and rear axle bearings 20x47x14 are identical. Shock eye to eye length are identical. Swingarm pivot bolt part #s are slightly different: 1105281 vs 1105287. I'm unable to verify rear hub width as the part #s are also different: 11110789 vs. 11110787.

I've asked tdrrally if he would take some measurementsto compare his DR350 and DRZ250.
Ok, I've been working night shift the last few weeks and am trying to keep busy in the garage to kill the boredom during the day. I have a DRZ250 that was given to me that I recently got running. It needs some love, but it runs pretty good. Since it's been sitting next to the DR350 collection in my garage, I figured I'd see if the swingarm would be an easy swap. Quick tape measure checks put it pretty close in size so I popped open a PBR and got to work.

Here's the swingarms side by side. DR350 on the left, DRZ250 on the right. As you can see, the shock linkage is on top of the DR, bottom on the DRZ.

IMAG0004 by tntmo2, on Flickr

That seems close enough for me. The shock linkage pivot and bolt was a perfect fit in frame, but the swingarm pivot bolt is longer. DR350 on top, DRZ bottom

IMAG0005 by tntmo2, on Flickr

Longer bolt means that the swingarm is wider. This isn't a great picture, but the right side is lined up with the DR350 mount and you can see how much wider the DRZ swingarm is.

IMAG0007 by tntmo2, on Flickr

Also, the shock mount on the linkage is wider on the DRZ, the DR shock lower mount will not fit on the DRZ linkage. DRZ is on top, DR bottom.

IMAG0006 by tntmo2, on Flickr

So, it's not a direct swap. maybe with some machine work? I put the DRZ back together for now.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #11751
pavlos79
Stuck in an Island

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
The dirt model tank won't mount in the front, but the rear mounts will be fine. My friend is running one on his S model and is using zip ties on the front. It's been on there for a long time and it hasn't moved.
Well, I bought a cheap used dirt model's plastic tank, after tntmo had given me the idea of the zippies!
I managed to fit it to my S model pretty fast and easy!
I opened a bit the rear mounts with a dremel, bolted it on the frame in the rear, and then used zip ties in the front!
It is great, I have taken it for 2 rides since, and without any problem at all!
I was thinking to weld some bolts to the frame, in the front, for something more permanent, but I will
probably leave it with the zip ties!
They seem to work great, and even if the break, it is super easy and cheap to replace them!
I will post a photo of the mounting in the next days!
pavlos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #11752
.tdc
b00b

while shopping around for a tm33, i notice there appears to be two versions? one with the funky top like what came on the dirt model drs, and the other with a more traditional direct-pull style carb top. the "other" doesn't appear to have a power jet,

here are some pictures for reference.
dirt model style tm33 -

the "other" tm33 -

it's easy to see the "other" style doesn't have the power jet, though i've seen ebay listings where the seller says they have an accelerator pump.

does anyone know how to make sure you're getting the right carb when ordering one?

thanks for making everything confusing, mikuni!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #11753
pavlos79
Stuck in an Island

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tdc View Post
while shopping around for a tm33, i notice there appears to be two versions? one with the funky top like what came on the dirt model drs, and the other with a more traditional direct-pull style carb top. the "other" doesn't appear to have a power jet,

the "other" tm33 -

it's easy to see the "other" style doesn't have the power jet, though i've seen ebay listings where the seller says they have an accelerator pump.

does anyone know how to make sure you're getting the right carb when ordering one?

I believe that this is for a two stroke engine...
It will be no good for the DR. But I am not 100% sure, so if anyone else knows...
pavlos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #11754
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,393
That looks like the one on my DR...came with the bike so I have no exact info as I haven't looked into it yet
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #11755
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Heres a link to the best price I have seen for the proper pumper for the DR.

http://shop.viperizerracing.com/prod...&categoryId=75

As for the swing arm swap I think my RMX arm is probably the closest to bolt on. I have seen them on ebay pretty regularly. There are lots of different ones so for anyone whos interested PM me and I can point you at the right one. I dont know that the others wont work, I just know that mine does work.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #11756
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
The top one is a TM33 "Pumper" carb. The bottom one is a TM33 Flat Slide carb, but it is not a pumper carb, meaning it doesn't have an accelerator pump, and an accelerator pump cannot be added to it. Both will work on the DR350, but the pumper is the one that comes on the dirt model DR350 and it's more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tdc View Post

here are some pictures for reference.
dirt model style tm33 -

the "other" tm33 -

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #11757
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,393
kobukan The top one is a TM33 "Pumper" carb. The bottom one is a TM33 Flat Slide carb, but it is not a pumper carb, meaning it doesn't have an accelerator pump, and an accelerator pump cannot be added to it. Both will work on the DR350, but the pumper is the one that comes on the dirt model DR350 and it's more expensive.

Interesting...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #11758
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Question for the DR gurus out there

In 6th gear only, There is a whirring noise from the gearbox when under load. This has ALWAYS existed on my bike since I can remember, but it has certainly not been getting quieter. This is not a grinding, clunking noise, more of a gear whine.

Have you hear of any 6th gears grenading in our bikes? Is a noisy gear an indicator of a gear failure? My bike has over 30k miles clocked.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #11759
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
Question for the DR gurus out there

In 6th gear only, There is a whirring noise from the gearbox when under load. This has ALWAYS existed on my bike since I can remember, but it has certainly not been getting quieter. This is not a grinding, clunking noise, more of a gear whine.

Have you hear of any 6th gears grenading in our bikes? Is a noisy gear an indicator of a gear failure? My bike has over 30k miles clocked.
THe noise is most likey assocaited with the higher speeds the bike is experiances when it is in 6th. I would think you have a bearing going bad. Check the easy ones first: wheels.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #11760
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
THe noise is most likey assocaited with the higher speeds the bike is experiances when it is in 6th. I would think you have a bearing going bad. Check the easy ones first: wheels.
It can't be bearings. Alex never has problems with bearings.

Actually he had to replace his bearings twice on his last trip out here.

Alex, check your chain slack; it should be 1 to 1-1/2". If there is not enough slack it puts excess pressure on the left side rear wheel bearings.

Shortly after you left last year my rear wheel bearings went out also (my bike must have been sympathetic for yours).
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote