Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #11776
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
That is correct. Another way to tell is that all four rockers should have a small amount of play.

I cant count that high so I do it this way.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #11777
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post

Don't know about your starting issues, but where did you get the plastics?
Looks kick ass.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #11778
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02
Don't know about your starting issues, but where did you get the plastics?
Looks kick ass.
Thanks, thats what im thinking too

I bought all black Polisport Plastic Kit for Suzuki RMZ 450 (08-12) and made them fit. Drilled, sawed and dremeled until I was happy with them (Acerbis and UFO make plastic kits too)
I still have the number plate and tank shrouds. Id mount the shrouds but havent figured out how... Tank looks out of place (+old) now, needs more color (black)

Headlight+rear fender was covered with camo pants when I bought the bike. Found out the light was orange
Need a new one... Also something to fit the hole in the frame in front of the rear number plates... More dremeling
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #11779
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Eh? Valve adjusting

Last night I realised something pretty stupid about checking my valves. I drew a pic cause its hard to explain

Correct me if Im wrong and sorry for double post.

Teeeeeemu screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 03:23 AM Reason: Moved pic
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #11780
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Last night I realised something pretty stupid about checking my valves. I drew a pic cause its hard to explain

Correct me if Im wrong and sorry for double post.
Yes, the feeler gauge must be inserted fully between both pieces to get an accurate read.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #11781
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Thanks, thats what im thinking too

I bought all black Polisport Plastic Kit for Suzuki RMZ 450 (08-12) and made them fit. Drilled, sawed and dremeled until I was happy with them (Acerbis and UFO make plastic kits too)
I still have the number plate and tank shrouds. Id mount the shrouds but havent figured out how... Tank looks out of place (+old) now, needs more color (black)

Headlight+rear fender was covered with camo pants when I bought the bike. Found out the light was orange
Need a new one... Also something to fit the hole in the frame in front of the rear number plates... More dremeling
whats the story on the seat? stock seat sucks a bag of dicks, yours looks much more leveler
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #11782
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
whats the story on the seat? stock seat sucks a bag of dicks, yours looks much more leveler
Haha its stock I think. The cover is just changed from yellow? to black.
I havent done anything to it yet and the mounting looks factory too. Its wide and tall and ugly in the rear...
I think the rear fender makes it look better, but Im still planning on cutting it lower and narrower from the back to make it "flow" better with the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender
Yes
Thank you sir.
I guess thats how I lost my compression...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #11783
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
OK here's a fish bro

go to this ol boys site (thanks Bender) and DL the workshop manual:
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350.htm
Page 3-46 discribes the auto chain tensioner. It does not show you how to check though.

Follow these intsruction for the inspection. These are from a buddy of mine when I asked about it. He just performed it and was freash on his mind.

1.Remove exhaust header.
2.Remove hard oil line that runs from front of clutch cover to to the rear of engine.
3.Locate cam chain tensioner and remove center 10mm bolt, spring and plunger assembly will come out as well.
4. Remove the two 4 or 5mm allen bolts that hold on the tensioner, and carefully remove assembly.
5. The tensioner has a ratcheting pawl assembly, pull the plunger out while counting the number of clicks it takes to max it out. Now push it all the way back in and count the total number of clicks of travel the pawl can move through. For reference my bike had 8 clicks left out of 25 total.

If you fel that you need a little more tension in your cam chain. THis is a linked video to the cam chain auto tensioner trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2E4b...ature=youtu.be

Have fun turning some wrenches, and don't bugger up the nuts like the dude in the vid.
I finally got around to checking the condition of my tensioner and found that I'm only five clicks or so from fully extended. So I guess the next thing I need is a step-by-step guide to replacing the camchain...
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #11784
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
That seat does look taller. Kindda like the guts racing foam and seat cover.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #11785
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,737
I think I have everything I need to do the RM fork swap except the bushing. I've read the thread on Maximum-Suzuki a couple times but I don't see where it says what are being used for bushings. What are those who have done this used?
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #11786
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Do a complete write up on it.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #11787
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Question More valve Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I cant count that high so I do it this way.
Another stupid question... Now I got them so that they move a bit up n down, do I need to worry about the play? Cause when the rocker is up, the gap is bigger ofcourse. Do I need to push down to get rid of the play while I adjust?

The exhaust adjusting pieces seem to be stuck too. I removed the nut but it didnt change a thing. Help?

Any tips for a good adjusting tool would be appreciated too. Now Im using about 5-6in wrench which can barely move.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #11788
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Another stupid question... Now I got them so that they move a bit up n down, do I need to worry about the play? Cause when the rocker is up, the gap is bigger ofcourse. Do I need to push down to get rid of the play while I adjust?
The feeler gauge needs to take up all available space and provide just a little drag when you move it back and forth. Do not push down on it or pull up on it...the feeler gauge needs to be the only "feel" you have for the spacing.

It sounds to me like you may not be at TDC on the compression stroke. Be absolutely, 100% sure that you are at TDC on the compression stroke before you adjust any valve clearances.

Is there anyone near you who has done this before on any other machine? If so, I think it would be very helpful to have them show you how it is done. The principle is the same for countless engines.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #11789
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

I meant push the rocker down.But nevermind, I just stuck the gauge in and tightened so that I could still move the gauge. I have intakes now tightened so that .006mm gauge fits in the gap firmly. It moves back and forth, but isnt too tight so Id say its perfect. I rechecked them after tightening the nuts too.

About TDC:
I saw exhaust go down then up, then intakes go down then back up. A bit after that I had the T in the hole. This is how my engine is atm. And the rockers have some play.

I also checked the other possibility when T comes before intakes move at all. And this is wrong.

Intake screws moved easily, even with fingers. BOTH exhaust screws seem to be completely stuck. While I screwed the nuts loose, the screws rotated with the nuts. So now the gap is over 1mm. Somehow I gotta get the screws loose, screws to correct clearance and nuts back on.

Thanks for your advice, dont know where Id be without adv ;)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #11790
mrpopgun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Bottom end?

Anybody have a good bottom end for sale? I'm looking for one.

If I can't find one at a good price, looks like I'll be parting out my 96 350se.

mrpopgun screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 08:44 AM
mrpopgun is offline   Reply With Quote