Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #11821
5*DR350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
White froth on dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Shit.... somebody want to offer any advice?

Rode to the hardware store today, noticed something smelled funny. Checked the oil, white froth on the dipstick. Limped part way home, and decided fuck it, I'd rather get an impromptu workout than burn something up. So I pushed the bike the last half mile or so.

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Fuel in your oil. Check your petcock, even the manual ones wear out and leak. I disconect mine every time I park it.
I have the white froth also. I replaced the petcock with the raptor petcock (less than 1k miles ago). I have also used a rebuild kit from kientech when I installed his jet kit. What else could be letting gas in?

Any advice is much appreciated
5*DR350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #11822
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Thank you Hammerspur to changing the font colour.

Is the solution to my carb problem as easy as "ride it and if it seems okay, then smile".....?

The bike is still in the shop so I don't know if its been road tested or just run in the garage.

I'd rather have the correct pilot jet in there and have them fix the problem with adjusting the clip, BUT if making the pilot jet hole larger makes it run fine and it won't cause any grief or harm then I'll be happy with that as well!!

Thoughts....?
UPDATE:

Spoke to the "mechanic" today. Turns out he is not a licenced bike mechanic (no surprise there, he was working on a lawn mower when I met with him) and he thought I had the lean surge problem at roll on $%%&&%!!!!! I told them the lean surge happend at constant throttle settings; when I went to full throttle/goosed it the lean surge went away!!! He also said he could not get the bike to idle when it first came in that was why he drilled out the pilot jet hole. I find that strange as Jesse had cleaned the carb, I only rode it once with fresh gas and I ran it dry with fuel preserve in the tank before storing the bike for winter. The "mechanic" is going to re-road test the bike and try constant throttle settings if that works then we are good to go if not he'll install the stock pilot jet and try richening up the jet setting.
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #11823
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,757
Maybe you should fire Slingblade.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #11824
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Thank you Hammerspur to changing the font colour.

Is the solution to my carb problem as easy as "ride it and if it seems okay, then smile".....?

The bike is still in the shop so I don't know if its been road tested or just run in the garage.

I'd rather have the correct pilot jet in there and have them fix the problem with adjusting the clip, BUT if making the pilot jet hole larger makes it run fine and it won't cause any grief or harm then I'll be happy with that as well!!

Thoughts....?
Adjusting the clip affects ~1/4 opening, whereas changing the pilot jet affects ~1/16 to 1/8 opening, so you need to isolate during what opening the problem happens so you can address it with the correct circuit.

Surging is not inherent to CV carbs. It is a tuning or wear issue. Which brings me to the next questions:

How many miles are there on the carb. When did the problem start happening? Has it always been this way? Did it start happening suddenly, or did it progress gradually?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #11825
.tdc
b00b

Oddometer: 14
while on the topic of carbs and such, can anyone give me the dimensions for the dirt model intake manifold? trying to pick one up from wps (http://www.wps-inc.com/catalogs/stre...PAGEGO=Page%23) and i don't know which one i need.
.tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #11826
funkstrong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Selling my Corbin seat over on the flea market if any of you guys are interested.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789832
funkstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #11827
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Fork oil recommendation....

1993 dirt model, stock suspension except for much bigger springs. Don't know the spring rate, but they but they are big enough to have only bottomed out once under my 250lb. physique, and that was getting a lot more air than I intended and landing a bit flat...
Just looking for the smoothest ride possible on rocks, roots, water bars and washboards. Don't care about racing speeds or jumps, only a smooth ride in the rough stuff. What weight oil would you think works the best? Quite a bit thicker than the 10 wt stuff recommended in the Clymer's manual or not so much?

Also Intiminators? Cartridge emulators? Whch gives the smoothest ride? Would the modern forks off an RM or something ride better?
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #11828
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post

Now I have one of these in my spare DR 350. Parts bike now. Who wants parts?
Is that cracking due to not using the decompression mechanism when kick starting it?
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #11829
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Do a complete write up on it.
There's plenty of those scattered on Maximum-Suzuki. I will say the one thing I couldn't find an answer to was why the steering stem wouldn't press out of the clamp. On the 99 USD forks here's why:

The step keeps it from budging. By pressing on the threaded end of the stem with 5000 psi showing on the gauge and a loud POP it started to move.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #11830
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Glad you got it out. Did you already press out the DR stem. That is the hard one.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #11831
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Glad you got it out. Did you already press out the DR stem. That is the hard one.
Thanks. Not yet but you have me worried,lol.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #11832
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplum1556 View Post
Is that cracking due to not using the decompression mechanism when kick starting it?
Yes, but it's a borrowed picture from someone else in this thread. I was wrong, no crack. Still need to find out what's up with the kickstarter. The way the shaft was wobbling around I thought sure it was cracked until I got the clutch off to see, no cracks. So no parts bike, hopefully.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #11833
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
What causes it to crack? Not using decomp when finding tdc and then kicking?

You dont kick it with decomp i think
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #11834
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
What causes it to crack? Not using decomp when finding tdc and then kicking?

You dont kick it with decomp i think
I think if it kicks back when you are at top dead center it puts enough pressure on the kick start shaft bearing that it cracks. Seems like a wimpy design to me.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #11835
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
a few pics of my old dr with a ufo front fender and Polisport MMX Motorcycle Headlight.

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote