User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #11866
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
tm33 problems

I bought a used pumper carb a little while back and have had issues with the bike jumping from low to a high idle all the time and seems to lean out and pop for no reason... I pulled the carb apart and the slide seems to have a lot of play. From what I understand this seems pretty common.... It looks like the slide is worn down. Its hard to tell if the carb body is also worn. Does anyone know if you can you repair them or are they pretty much junk. I would just scrap it but I dont really have 300 dollars laying around for a replacement.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #11867
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I've had my dr for about a month or two now, but on Monday the throttle decided it was going to stick. I tried to investigate but only made it worse...

I took out the two screws by the throttle handle and opened up the mechanism, seemed to be clean but I cleaned it again anyway. I disconnected the cable from the carb and the butterfly valve snaps right back so that isn't the problem.

I loosened the locknut on the throttle cable adjuster and thinking maybe it needed tightened or something but that didn't do anything. I reconnected all the cables and put the cover back on by the throttle and now the throttle turns about 1/3 of the way and it isn't giving any gas.

It is my commuter so dear god please give me suggestions...it's a 99 with 7.5K on the clock. Remember I'm a noob so please be gentle.
Try squirting some machining oil/light lubricant fluid into the tops of the throttle cable(s) when you have them out of the throttle tube assembly. Work the cable up and down until it either free's up or you see the fluid at the bottom of the cable. I do this to my throttle and clutch cable as regular maintanence to ensure maximum snap
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #11868
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich667 View Post
I bought a used pumper carb a little while back and have had issues with the bike jumping from low to a high idle all the time and seems to lean out and pop for no reason... I pulled the carb apart and the slide seems to have a lot of play. From what I understand this seems pretty common.... It looks like the slide is worn down. Its hard to tell if the carb body is also worn. Does anyone know if you can you repair them or are they pretty much junk. I would just scrap it but I dont really have 300 dollars laying around for a replacement.
You cannot replace the slide. New, as I'm assuming you won't buy used again, is your only option. Kientech offers one. Other than that I guess just clean it good and make sure the pilot setting/ jets are correct
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #11869
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,631
Thanks for the tips, one cable is smooth the other doesn't move at all. Can you disassemble the cable or do you replace the whole darn thIng with a new set of cables cOmplete with rubber tubing and nuts?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #11870
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, one cable is smooth the other doesn't move at all. Can you disassemble the cable or do you replace the whole darn thIng with a new set of cables cOmplete with rubber tubing and nuts?
Whole darn thing, unfortunately.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #11871
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you try the lubricant oil on the stuck one to free it up?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #11872
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,631
It won't budge at all, I'll cut it open to investigate once I install a fresh set, thanks guys
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #11873
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
ok guys, 2 things i wanna look into. i consulted my service manual, but got nowhere on these questions of mine.

First Question: Camshaft Timing Chain tensioner..is it automatic or do i gotta put it at TDC and adjust? if so..how do ya do this on these bikes? i read about removing the spring, and then the whole tensioner to see if its maxed out, BUT odometer says 5k and from what ive read, 14-16k is about where the chain is stretched to its limits.

Next Question: Ok..tire cupping..yah, this can be explained by about a 100 different examples and such, i understand that. but my front tire is cupping now, and i get the little "jiggle" to it..ya know, the kind that makes your head light dance but isn't really bad enough to make ya notice unless you really feel for it while driving. to be honest, i just started noticing it since i replaced my rear tire. so i'm gonna FIRST get it balanced to see if that helps. FWIW, i did remove the rim lock and i feel its useless weight added to the bike. i've never really needed one, as i dont typically ever air down my bike tires, however i do know what their used for and i agree for certain applications. one thing i DO know is that overall height of the NEW rear tire is alot higher than the tire that i took off of it. Could this theoretically throw off my frame geometry and cause to much pressure on the front forks, thus creating my little "hop" like conditions i'm experiencing? Bearings, tube, tire, and inner rubber band on REAR tire is new too btw, along with cush drive rubbers, so just maybe it DOES need balanced? its a kenda K270 50/50 tire.

Let me know boys/gals, ill be watching to see what everyone has to say.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #11874
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,221

Video from this afternoons ride on my 95 DR350. These bikes really are a blast!

It has jesse's jet kit, suspension upgrades, jesse's header, supertrapp exhaust airbox mod etc.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #11875
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
The tensioner is automatic. Have you been hearing the cam chain slap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
ok guys, 2 things i wanna look into. i consulted my service manual, but got nowhere on these questions of mine.

First Question: Camshaft Timing Chain tensioner..is it automatic or do i gotta put it at TDC and adjust? if so..how do ya do this on these bikes? i read about removing the spring, and then the whole tensioner to see if its maxed out, BUT odometer says 5k and from what ive read, 14-16k is about where the chain is stretched to its limits.
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #11876
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWman View Post
You cannot replace the slide. New, as I'm assuming you won't buy used again, is your only option. Kientech offers one. Other than that I guess just clean it good and make sure the pilot setting/ jets are correct
Yup, I read never to buy a used one right after I picked up mine off ebay... Learned my lesson.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #11877
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplum1556 View Post
The tensioner is automatic. Have you been hearing the cam chain slap?
either chain slap or spark knock, one or the other. happens about 5500 RPM when its loaded!! 2 ppl, uphill, get a little slap, knock noise. its not rod i know that much. i'm gonna check plug, it probably hasnt been touched in a while.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #11878
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich667 View Post
Yup, I read never to buy a used one right after I picked up mine off ebay... Learned my lesson.
You learned the hard way, hope the ticket wasn't too much. You'll be sittin pretty with a brand new pumper
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #11879
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
either chain slap or spark knock, one or the other. happens about 5500 RPM when its loaded!! 2 ppl, uphill, get a little slap, knock noise. its not rod i know that much. i'm gonna check plug, it probably hasnt been touched in a while.
2up...up hill. Preignition knock. Shift down. If it continues go with higher octain gas when 2 up.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #11880
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
2up...up hill. Preignition knock. Shift down. If it continues go with higher octain gas when 2 up.
Thats what i been doing, down a gear and get the RPM's up to a different range if i need to. i run 93 octane in it religiously. wish we had a non-eth station around here, sadly there isnt any even close to me. FWIW, i pulled the plug on it today, its running to lean. i emailed keintech with questions about suggested jetting. its all stock. i dont recall what jets are in the carb right now, but once i get a response from jesse, ill tear it down and see what i got. thats on my to do list. i figure go up a little on both sides (PJ and MJ) and then see how my plug looks. The "starting jet" has already been drilled for easier starting, and it helped from what i understand. 1 maybe 2 kicks after ya do the decomp process and tadah, you got a running power plant!