Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #12046
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig cw View Post
Hi Craig,

Nice work. I've made racks in the past and it involves no small amount of effort. The solid bar, while heavy, makes it easy to get deep penetration with your welds (you should see the ugly stuff I do with tubing - I am not a great welder!). The "belt and suspenders" part of me might suggest an additional mount to the front luggage rack bolt (three is better than two, especially with the front one being pretty long). I've also found that joining the racks together somewhere in the back really stiffens things up all the more and helps with vibration, etc.

Thanks for sharing your work :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #12047
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
They are plenty strong. you can pick the the bike up by lifting on one side.I think if you were to lay the bike down hard they might bend in some. Time will tell. I'm preping for a 4 day 800 mile ride in august. If they make it through that I might build a couple sets for friends.
Very nice job. I've been thinking about doing similar to that for the past year. If you do decide to build a few more i'd be interested.
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #12048
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Homemade Giant Loop Coyote replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
*snip* ... For luggage, I'm going the soft route. The plan is to replicate a buddy's Giant Loop Coyote from some materials I already have on the shelf. Depending on how horrific it turns out, I may or may not post pics.

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags

Rode2Nowhere screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 08:39 AM
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #12049
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere
*snip* ... For luggage, I'm going the soft route. The plan is to replicate a buddy's Giant Loop Coyote from some materials I already have on the shelf. Depending on how horrific it turns out, I may or may not post pics.

Who makes and where can I look at this GL loop look alike bag? Thanks

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #12050
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Let me know what you think. Thanks, Craig
Awesome man. Hooray for homemade stuff!
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #12051
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Who makes and where can I look at this GL loop look alike bag? Thanks
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Mine is the dimensions of their Coyote model. They're awesome; well-made and a fantastic design for true dual-sport luggage.

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #12052
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Mine is the dimensions of their Coyote model. They're awesome; well-made and a fantastic design for true dual-sport luggage.

Ya I've got a real GL great basin love it. The dr above looks to have a knock off. If its yours well done.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #12053
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Ya I've got a real GL great basin love it. The dr above looks to have a knock off. If its yours well done.

Yeah, I had quoted myself from January when I posted, when I started picking away at making it. It is mine, and it came out surprisingly well. We'll see next week, during the Roaming Rally.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #12054
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
I can haul stuff.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #12055
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
They are plenty strong. you can pick the the bike up by lifting on one side.I think if you were to lay the bike down hard they might bend in some. Time will tell. I'm preping for a 4 day 800 mile ride in august. If they make it through that I might build a couple sets for friends.
"Hey buddy, haven't talk to you in a while!"
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #12056
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Update on my continued carb problems....

I have a '96 DR350SE that I purchased October 2010. I did the Jesse air box mod over the winter and sent the carb to him to install the larger jet and clean it up. I installed it last riding season and I had a lean surge at constant throttle (rode it once then stored it again as I'm no mechanic and did not take it to the local Zuk shop). A fellow inmate suggested I put 4mm of spacers on top of the spring under the black plastic cap on top of the carb, it worked for him but it made my bike surge even more (almost did not run).
So this year I took it into the local suzuki dealer and a lawn mower mechanic spent 3 hours on it. He said it did not start when I brought it in (don't know how that could happen as when I put it into hibernation it went into a heated garage, I ran the carb dry and I put fuel preserve in the system and it had started fine before), so to get it started he drilled out the pilot jet! But the lean surge did not go away. So when the licenced motorcycle mechanic came back to work he installed an original pilot jet and richened up the mix (setting 5 on the clip) as much as possible but the bike still had a lean sure. So $300 later I'm back to where I started (acutally worse as the bike does not start now). When I picked the bike up it would not start so the mechanic said to cover over the air box lid to richen up the mix and try again as he said the bike started better when he put his hand over the air box.
I emailed Jesse with my problems and he could not figure it out.
So tonight with a fully charged battery, choke out, I took some duct tape and covered the entire top of the air box lid and I tried starting it. It turned over but no ignition, not even a wee bit of one. So I pushed the choke in and tried again, nothing. So I took the spark plug out and checked for spark, it was good and blue. So I sprayed some WD-40 into the spark plug hole and tried again (this is usually a sure thing at least until the WD-40 burns off), well nothing happened not even a wee bit. So I took the plug out and smelled it, all I smelt was WD-40, I though it might have been wet with gas but no. So I took the main fuel line off where it goes into the carb and there was gas coming out. So I tried it again and nothing.

Finally I put it in second gear and rolled it down my steep driveway and let the clutch out, it coughed a bit but did not stay running (not even close), I tried starting it again at the bottom of the driveway but the battery was pretty weak by then. I tried it one more time down the driveway with the same results.
Any suggestions...?
Should I cut my loses and install Jesse's pumper carb...?
I thought the carb was a simple thing, what is going on here?
Thanks in advance!
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #12057
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
I have a '96 DR350SE that I purchased October 2010. I did the Jesse air box mod over the winter and sent the carb to him to install the larger jet and clean it up. I installed it last riding season and I had a lean surge at constant throttle (rode it once then stored it again as I'm no mechanic and did not take it to the local Zuk shop).
Has anyone adjusted the idle fuel screw on the carb? I have a 98 DR350SE and was running everything stock except an open airbox like you and after the airbox mod I needed to turn the idle fuel screw out a little to richen up the idle along with a bigger main jet for the high rpms. I left the clip on the needle jet in the middle position.
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #12058
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Brake discs

Hi all,

I'm doing a lot of much needed maintenance on my DR350 and I need new brake discs. OEM Suzuki discs are not cheap, so I'm looking to save some money. At the same time, I don't want to buy junk. I'm looking at these discs on eBay...does anyone have any experience with them?

Front brake disc

Rear brake disc

Also, I've never used Kevlar pads. I've just stuck with the tried-and-true semi-metallic pads. Anything I should know about Kevlar pads? Thanks!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #12059
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi all,

I'm doing a lot of much needed maintenance on my DR350 and I need new brake discs. OEM Suzuki discs are not cheap, so I'm looking to save some money. At the same time, I don't want to buy junk. I'm looking at these discs on eBay...does anyone have any experience with them?

Front brake disc

Rear brake disc

Also, I've never used Kevlar pads. I've just stuck with the tried-and-true semi-metallic pads. Anything I should know about Kevlar pads? Thanks!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
wander if they'll fit the DR350S version? i need a new rear disc on my off-road wheel. did you remove the rotor bolts yet? mine are freaking stuck in there. ill have to heat and pray then try to get them out. lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #12060
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
wander if they'll fit the DR350S version? i need a new rear disc on my off-road wheel. did you remove the rotor bolts yet? mine are freaking stuck in there. ill have to heat and pray then try to get them out. lol
Theres 4-bolt-discs and 6-bolt-discs. Those seem to be 90-97 and are 4-bolt. So 97-99 should be 6-bolt. And its the same way on dirt and street legal imo. So it depends on how old is yours.
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote