Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #12061
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,844

Rode it to the shop this morning

Had to get a ride home.

I found a brass coupler that measures 1.04 in diameter. The top clamp measures .980. I think if I hone the clamp out to around .995 and heat it up I can press the brass in there then hone it to fit the stem.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #12062
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,658
Sprockets

I have a 99' SE model with stock sprockets (15 front and I believe 41 rear, is 41 right since I can't find it anywhere online) and would like to cruise faster on the highway and gear down for when I get to the tough stuff. From what I've read it seems easiest to have two different front sizes and it's easier to change front instead of the rear. This is my first time playing with sprocket sizes on any bike so kindly answer me these questions three:

1 - Anyone cruise at lower rpm's on the highway have any recommendations?

2 - I can't find anything higher than a 15t in the front, do I assume they don't make it?

3 - With buying a 13t front will I need a different size chain to accomodate? I have the stock chain now.

Dear god thank you!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #12063
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I have a 99' SE model with stock sprockets (15 front and I believe 41 rear, is 41 right since I can't find it anywhere online) and would like to cruise faster on the highway and gear down for when I get to the tough stuff. From what I've read it seems easiest to have two different front sizes and it's easier to change front instead of the rear. This is my first time playing with sprocket sizes on any bike so kindly answer me these questions three:

1 - Anyone cruise at lower rpm's on the highway have any recommendations?

2 - I can't find anything higher than a 15t in the front, do I assume they don't make it?

3 - With buying a 13t front will I need a different size chain to accomodate? I have the stock chain now.

Dear god thank you!
Here's a link for a 16 tooth front sprocket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-Spro...9307ef&vxp=mtr

but from what I've heard, you either have to grind away part of the sprocket cover to accommodate the bigger gear or just take the sprocket cover off.

I have a 13 front and a 15 that I swap depending on my mood. I've been able to get away with only using one chain which isn't ideal since you want a set of sprockets and a chain to wear together but I figured the extra wear the sprocket and chain takes from swapping the front is worth the time saved changing chains.

Here's another link for the 41 rear with 6 bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-Spro...f1a3ac&vxp=mtr
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #12064
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
JPlum and Devo: you will have to probably run without a chain cover for 16 in front. i got a 15 on mine and it barely fits...infact i had to make spacers for behind it cuz the metal guard that goes in with it was to small, so yah. just some info for ya.

PS, where is everyone getting the plastic frame guars at for their bikes? (the ones by the foot pegs) i like em, might get me a set.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #12065
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,658
Thanks and thanks. Just ordered 13, 16, and a few circlips since I lose stuff real easy. I'll chance the highway miles with no case.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #12066
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplum1556 View Post
Here's a link for a 16 tooth front sprocket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-Spro...9307ef&vxp=mtr

but from what I've heard, you either have to grind away part of the sprocket cover to accommodate the bigger gear or just take the sprocket cover off.

I have a 13 front and a 15 that I swap depending on my mood. I've been able to get away with only using one chain which isn't ideal since you want a set of sprockets and a chain to wear together but I figured the extra wear the sprocket and chain takes from swapping the front is worth the time saved changing chains.

Here's another link for the 41 rear with 6 bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-Spro...f1a3ac&vxp=mtr
I had to grind away at the case saver a bit to fit a 15T front sprocket. A 16T would need a lot more grinding or leave the saver off (possibly not the best idea) I don't think the case itself would be a problem but then I haven't done it.

Will probably have to change the whole C/S set soon and will look at a rear with a couple less teeth. If I do any serious off-roading I will look for a 13T front.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #12067
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplum1556 View Post
Has anyone adjusted the idle fuel screw on the carb? I have a 98 DR350SE and was running everything stock except an open airbox like you and after the airbox mod I needed to turn the idle fuel screw out a little to richen up the idle along with a bigger main jet for the high rpms. I left the clip on the needle jet in the middle position.
I don't know, I figured a Suzuki mechanic would have done that but its worth a try. Yeah something does not seem right if the mechanic had to put the clip on the 5th position and it still has the lean surge problem. The lawn mower mechanic that first worked on it (the real bike mechanic was not back to work yet) drilled out the pilot jet to get it to start better, I had the real mechanic put the stock jet back in but now it won't start. Jesse said he's never heard of this problem before related to his air box mod. I ran it once last year and it started fine and was fun to ride except for the lean surge. Now I'm dead in the water after spending $300 to "fix" the carb.....

I think I'll have to order Jesse's pumper carb and be done with it.
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #12068
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
WTB: Kouba link for DR350S

Anybody have a Kouba link that they are not using and would like to sell to me? If not, will get one from the source.
Thanks!
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #12069
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Thanks a bunch... I'll search the thread for "shifter drum bolt" and see what pops up.
May find the shift fork is bent if the bolt is loose. Happened to my riding buddy recently.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #12070
PK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Anybody have a Kouba link that they are not using and would like to sell to me? If not, will get one from the source.
Thanks!

PM sent
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #12071
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,022
valves were set about 200 miles ago.

would they go from set to make good compression, to set to make little compression while sitting in the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
I more than doubled my compression with a correct valve adjustment
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #12072
sage06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Fellow Inmates!!! A project

Fellow Inmates! I am trying to get the word out about a Kickstarter project I have started. If you are unfamiliar, Kickstarter helps raise public funding for creative projects. The details about my project at at

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-from-the-road

There are only a couple weeks left and I am far short of my goal. So I am asking for help, not necessarily for funds directly, (though it wouldn't hurt, the returns are pretty cool) but in getting the word out to people that would be interested.
I am traveling around Colorado on my trusty 93' DR350. Kick start and camping gear, plus a camera or two.

I know this may be a bit unorthodox but what the hell. weird shit happens on here.

~Greg O'Neil
sage06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #12073
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage06 View Post
Fellow Inmates! I am trying to get the word out about a Kickstarter project I have started. If you are unfamiliar, Kickstarter helps raise public funding for creative projects. The details about my project at at

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-from-the-road

There are only a couple weeks left and I am far short of my goal. So I am asking for help, not necessarily for funds directly, (though it wouldn't hurt, the returns are pretty cool) but in getting the word out to people that would be interested.
I am traveling around Colorado on my trusty 93' DR350. Kick start and camping gear, plus a camera or two.

I know this may be a bit unorthodox but what the hell. weird shit happens on here.

~Greg O'Neil
posting up a few shots of your bike, packed gear, trip prep, and route would help.

best of luck sounds like a proper adventure.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #12074
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Rode it to the shop this morning

Had to get a ride home.

I found a brass coupler that measures 1.04 in diameter. The top clamp measures .980. I think if I hone the clamp out to around .995 and heat it up I can press the brass in there then hone it to fit the stem.
Whatcha doin there
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #12075
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi all,

I'm doing a lot of much needed maintenance on my DR350 and I need new brake discs. OEM Suzuki discs are not cheap, so I'm looking to save some money. At the same time, I don't want to buy junk. I'm looking at these discs on eBay...does anyone have any experience with them?

Front brake disc

Rear brake disc

Also, I've never used Kevlar pads. I've just stuck with the tried-and-true semi-metallic pads. Anything I should know about Kevlar pads? Thanks!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I tossed a bid on a rear disc and we'll see if I "win" the auction. I'll give these a try and see how they go. I'd still be interested in hearing about Kevlar pads. I'm of the persuasion that I'd rather burn through pads than burn through discs, so a pad that is easier on the disc would be my preference.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote