Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #12301
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
You know that little spring inside the brake lever? Is that an OEM only deal? I can't seem to find it on Fleabay. In the event of the apocalypse, am I screwed?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #12302
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,304
no, find something close.
ballpoint pen
other small parts
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #12303
duncanbojangles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Hey, master cylinder question of you experts. Any chance there's a difference in the front MC between the dirt and S models? I bought a rebuild kit by Moose Racing, and says it's manufactured by Nissin (OEM). In retrospect, the Moose Racing site specifies this for the right year of DR350, not specifically DR350S, but I didn't think there was a difference for this part. Perhaps I was wrong. Clearly the photo below shows that the parts in the kit aren't the same as the parts I removed (see skinny inside portion of piston), but any idea if this re-shaped piston is a later update? Will this piston work? I didn't want to tear into the package and try the fit if a return is going to be necessary.

No, the rebuild kit you purchased will not work with your S model master cylinder. I purchased the same kit as you before from motorcyclesuperstore.com because their website stated that this kit would work with my '98 DR350SE. I could not return mine, since I opened it and got the blasted little O-rings on properly before noticing the problem. In the end I purchased OEM replacement parts from bikebandit.com because I could not find a surefire K&L master cylinder rebuild kit online. I also sent an email to motorcyclesuperstore.com regarding the fitment issue but never heard back from them.
duncanbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #12304
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanbojangles View Post
No, the rebuild kit you purchased will not work with your S model master cylinder. I purchased the same kit as you before from motorcyclesuperstore.com because their website stated that this kit would work with my '98 DR350SE. I could not return mine, since I opened it and got the blasted little O-rings on properly before noticing the problem. In the end I purchased OEM replacement parts from bikebandit.com because I could not find a surefire K&L master cylinder rebuild kit online. I also sent an email to motorcyclesuperstore.com regarding the fitment issue but never heard back from them.
Thank you Mr. Bojangles. Not terribly surprising news. I'm sorry you fell into the same trap, but I appreciate you at least saving me from the same fate.
groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #12305
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,546
Pumper carb really worth $400?

I'm on the fence about adding a pumper carb to my 99SE. I'm getting a little tired of the 2 second delay on throttle response from the bottom end and I know that would b e the cure for it, BUT what are the down sides? I'm averaging 50mph on dual sport rides. The bike has stock exhaust, Air box cut 137.5 main and Jesse needle.

My rides often take me from sea level to 6000 feet. I know the CV somewhat compensates for altitude, but will I have issues with the pumper? Also what sort of loss in gas mileage should I expect given the same riding style?

The bike is mainly a dual sport that infrequently gets ridden on trails as I have another bike for that so I'm not looking to turn it into a trail bike.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #12306
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
I'm on the fence about adding a pumper carb to my 99SE. I'm getting a little tired of the 2 second delay on throttle response from the bottom end and I know that would b e the cure for it, BUT what are the down sides? I'm averaging 50mph on dual sport rides. The bike has stock exhaust, Air box cut 137.5 main and Jesse needle.

My rides often take me from sea level to 6000 feet. I know the CV somewhat compensates for altitude, but will I have issues with the pumper? Also what sort of loss in gas mileage should I expect given the same riding style?

The bike is mainly a dual sport that infrequently gets ridden on trails as I have another bike for that so I'm not looking to turn it into a trail bike.
You'll get immediate throttle response from the pumper carb.

I average 50 mpg on dual sport rides with a pumper.

Should be no real issues from sea level to 6k ft.

I was thinking the pumper carb would be perfect for you right up until the part where you said "infrequently gets ridden on trails" and then I thought, what's the point? I love the pumper for trail riding, but personally, if I wasn't trail riding I probably wouldn't bother with one.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #12307
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I was thinking the pumper carb would be perfect for you right up until the part where you said "infrequently gets ridden on trails" and then I thought, what's the point? I love the pumper for trail riding, but personally, if I wasn't trail riding I probably wouldn't bother with one.
By trail I mean single tight single track. I am riding gravel/dirt roads and double track often. It would be nice to be able to get some wheel spin coming out of corners and that sort of thing. If I'm going out for a gnarly singletrack ride I usually opt for the Montesa Trials bike as it's much more fun in the tight stuff.

Thanks.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #12308
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:

Just get the 441 kit, carb and do it all. That's the path you are on anyway...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #12309
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
By trail I mean single tight single track. I am riding gravel/dirt roads and double track often. It would be nice to be able to get some wheel spin coming out of corners and that sort of thing. If I'm going out for a gnarly singletrack ride I usually opt for the Montesa Trials bike as it's much more fun in the tight stuff.

Thanks.
2 second delay....?
If you can't get wheel spin on a gravel road.....something else is going on.

posted these before...stock motor, stock CV carb, jesse mod exhaust, geared 15-41, 137.5 main opened airbox.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOIc...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkeTcofWe8

rubberband screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 07:34 AM
rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #12310
BAD-MOD
professional fiddler

Oddometer: 164

= two broken bones from bug table top wipe out
Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #12311
BAD-MOD
professional fiddler

Oddometer: 164

on the up side i now have nice new foot pegs and im off to pick up my Rm 250 k3 front end today
Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #12312
Elliot the Kraut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Got these IMS too. Double wide than stock. Grip is very good, but: I´m not sure to be happy about them. For my little feet they are better, the distance to the shifter is shorter now. But if you step on the outer edges they will go down .... a little bit to large, i think....

Elliot the Kraut screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 02:55 PM
Elliot the Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #12313
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 624
Kickstand

Anybody have an extra kickstand they want to part with? '98 DR350 but other years will fit. PM me if yes. Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #12314
silverwasp
Silverwasp

Oddometer: 19
off center front wheel

Could someone please tell me if the front wheel can be 1.5 CM off center. I have a 99 SE I have never noticed it before but someone pointed out that the wheel is shifted to caliper side. It looks straight to me. (perpendicular to the ground) and parallel to the forks... but maybe I have a bad eye.... I have spoken with other knowledgeable riders and they say this can be the case to accommodate the calipers. If it were on a slant wouldn't it rub on the calipers? Any answers.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #12315
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwasp View Post
Could someone please tell me if the front wheel can be 1.5 CM off center. I have a 99 SE I have never noticed it before but someone pointed out that the wheel is shifted to caliper side. It looks straight to me. (perpendicular to the ground) and parallel to the forks... but maybe I have a bad eye.... I have spoken with other knowledgeable riders and they say this can be the case to accommodate the calipers. If it were on a slant wouldn't it rub on the calipers? Any answers.
It's not right. The wheel/tires should be in line. Frame straight up - wheels straight up. It could be the forks are tweaked in the clamps, or the clamps are bent, or the frame is bent. ( Saw a '99 with a bent frame right between the steering head and the oil tank. The wheel was displace a good bit. ) The forks also could be bent, but they would probably bind somewhere.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote