ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #12496
Alli
Adventurer
 
Alli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 53
chain guide

Yip, it does.

The small sticker on my chain guide says Fredette Racing Products, the outer packaging says Moose racing, so essentially the same product.

Glad to hear you've had no issues with it.

Thanks again Gregory.

P.S.

What brand are those hand warmer thingies that you've got over your controls?
It's winter down here in S.A ( yes, it gets cold here) and those look great. I haven't seen them in any of our stores.

Alli screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 12:41 PM
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #12497
Alli
Adventurer
 
Alli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 53


Hey Devo2002

Here's an idea for the routing of the fuel line from the second (right side) petcock.

Two ali bars attached to valve covers and bent at the ends, should keep your lines tidy and far away enough from your head and heat.

Not my idea but got it from StevieDR350 on our wilddog.za.net adventure forum in South Africa.

Cheers
Allan
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #12498
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob
 
brianjonesphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Brier Patch, WA
Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
So, installed no problem but I've never had to deal with this before



I understand the concept but how do you attach the tube to the vent so it's secure? I can put the hose on the nipple but I don't think it will stay for long. And where are you routing the hose? With the existing clutch/throttle route? I've seen some just six inches with a cap on top, what's with that?

I looked all over and don't see any info, thanks.
That system is a pain in my ass. I ended up finding a regular Acerbis cap the shelved the quick fill one. now it's all one piece.
__________________
Brian
Mine: 07 DL650 ABS, 99 DR350SEx, 05 Montesa 4RT Her's: 02 KL250 Super Sherpa

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #12499
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
I've got the same tank and same issue. The nipple on the cap is too short so the tube always ends up popping off at some point - I just live with it and stick it back on. As for where to route it to - I do the same as Greg and just loop it over the crossbar and hide it between the triple tree and the gages.
Thanks and thanks bender, I guess ill do the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post


Hey Devo2002

Here's an idea for the routing of the fuel line from the second (right side) petcock.

Two ali bars attached to valve covers and bent at the ends, should keep your lines tidy and far away enough from your head and heat.

Not my idea but got it from StevieDR350 on our wilddog.za.net adventure forum in South Africa.

Cheers
Allan
Did very similar, wound up going behind the carb. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
That system is a pain in my ass. I ended up finding a regular Acerbis cap the shelved the quick fill one. now it's all one piece.
I like that idea. I'm cheap so I'll see if a bit of Velcro keeps the
Top piece attached first, thanks!
__________________
2014 DL650 Vstrom
devo2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12500
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rallyman1978's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Worcester, UK
Oddometer: 199
Evening chaps
Does anyone have any experience of a jack up kit for the little DR? I've seen the kits that raise the bike an inch or so. Better ground clearance? Does it change the bikes handling charasteristics much? Will it make it easier to put on my workshop MX stand?!?!
Cheers
Rich
__________________
rallyman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #12501
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
Perhaps you need to clean the seals?
I should. Plan on replacing the seals and changing the oil this winter. So it am not too concerend. I jsut got this set up this spring and thought that I would run them as is jsut to get a base line. I wipe down the seals after such rides. I am going to make one of those seal cleaners out of thin plastic. And I am going for boots when I do the seals.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #12502
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
So, installed no problem but I've never had to deal with this before



I understand the concept but how do you attach the tube to the vent so it's secure? I can put the hose on the nipple but I don't think it will stay for long. And where are you routing the hose? With the existing clutch/throttle route? I've seen some just six inches with a cap on top, what's with that?

I looked all over and don't see any info, thanks.

For starters that cap is stupid. It is ment for this fast fill race system. That 99.99% of us do not have; it is just extra crap. What I did was stick about 1/3" hose out from the tip of the vent hose cover plate. THen I jammed the open end by the brake, throttle cltuch cables. Now I have it down my steering steem nut. Stock SE one is acorn or capped nut so you can't stick it down there unless you drill a hole. What this hose also does is also dump gas when you drop the bike. Much more so then with the OEM S tank.

That six inch bobble on some tanks is a one way vent. Lets air in, so as not to creat a vac lock. And prevents gas from pouring out when you dump the bike. Problem is that is prevents heat generated gases to excape and your tank swells out. You can route these valves to more discreet locations but your tank will ballon on a hot day.

Best idea I have heard is to put a old carb jet in the end; slows down the spilling gas, but still vents both ways.

I hav not done this yet, jsut learned to pick up my bike faster. Vent hose also serves as a good back up hose.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #12503
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,924
Riding home yesterday was fun. Rocks flying everywhere as I hit the hillls. Seemed like the hot weather was really making my bike run extra poppy. Way more power. Home, go the flip the gas off and can't find the lever.

Guess one of those rocks broke my cock. At half off, it must have been starved for gas and running lean.

MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #12504
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Riding home yesterday was fun. Rocks flying everywhere as I hit the hillls. Seemed like the hot weather was really making my bike run extra poppy. Way more power.

If it runs better in hot weather it's too lean.

Warmer air is less dense, it should have less power unless it's too lean in cold weather and in the heat it is running correctly for once.

Bikes are supposed to haul ass in colder weather.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #12505
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,924
The hot weather running good was an incorrect assumption. You can not tell from the picture but the petcock is halfway in the off postion, and the bike was starved for gas.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #12506
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Does this look like the correct throttle cable assembly housing for a single cable DR setup?



The throttle cable has always been loose. I'd assumed the housing had stripped out, but when tearing down the handle bars I found that both the cable and housing are fine, but the cable is way too small to screw into the housing. Looking at the microfiches, the cable appears to be the correct one, but the housing does not. I can't seem to find any single cable housing pics to try and tell.

Here's the cable end (the shroud fell off a long time ago).



Here's how they fit.

__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #12507
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 104
Question Clutch n crap

So I disassembled my clutch again so I could get rid of the dragging. I opened it this spring and changed the thrust washers believing that was the only reason. Now ill get new plates and springs and while waiting for them ill sand down the clutch basket. How fine should the paper be? I found a roll of emery cloth that says p150 in the back. I remember reading somebody used some emery cloth for their clutch..

After taking the clutch out I found a thrust washer "fused" with the spacer. A quick tap to the table got them free but I wonder why did it happen in the first place. http://i.imgur.com/DAjcf.jpg

Another nasty thing I found was the oil, but not when I dropped them. They looked black and nasty, nothing else.
But after opening the filling plug I found some white junk in the threads and the stick.
http://i.imgur.com/jgJSb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hoX6x.jpg
Cousin said it is boiled oil, he said it even happened with his 50cc monkeybike but only with Castrol oil. My bike had mainly some 10w-40 oil (didnt say if it was for mc) AND a bit of motorbike specific 10w-40 oil. Does somebody know what the gunk is?
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #12508
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mustangwagz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
So I disassembled my clutch again so I could get rid of the dragging. I opened it this spring and changed the thrust washers believing that was the only reason. Now ill get new plates and springs and while waiting for them ill sand down the clutch basket. How fine should the paper be? I found a roll of emery cloth that says p150 in the back. I remember reading somebody used some emery cloth for their clutch..

After taking the clutch out I found a thrust washer "fused" with the spacer. A quick tap to the table got them free but I wonder why did it happen in the first place. http://i.imgur.com/DAjcf.jpg

Another nasty thing I found was the oil, but not when I dropped them. They looked black and nasty, nothing else.
But after opening the filling plug I found some white junk in the threads and the stick.
http://i.imgur.com/jgJSb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hoX6x.jpg
Cousin said it is boiled oil, he said it even happened with his 50cc monkeybike but only with Castrol oil. My bike had mainly some 10w-40 oil (didnt say if it was for mc) AND a bit of motorbike specific 10w-40 oil. Does somebody know what the gunk is?
i cant say for sure, but it looks like the result of the 2 oils trying to mix? i was always told that your never supposed to mix 2 types of oil, as they will froth up and get milky when trying to mix. also, i dont use motor oil in my bikes unless its specifically for motorcycles or atvs. Maybe someone else can say for sure exactly what your experiencing there..
__________________
-WagZ-
'93 DR350S

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #12509
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 104
Yeah probably that or the boiling.. Ive only read that rather 2 oils than too little oil, which was the reason I put more in it.

First I thought it was the coolant but then I remembered I didn't have any.

Shouldn't be the engine's fault I guess, most likely the 2 oils together. Now just flush with gas/diesel(?) and then clutch parts.
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #12510
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mustangwagz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
Yeah probably that or the boiling.. Ive only read that rather 2 oils than too little oil, which was the reason I put more in it.

First I thought it was the coolant but then I remembered I didn't have any.

Shouldn't be the engine's fault I guess, most likely the 2 oils together. Now just flush with gas/diesel(?) and then clutch parts.
i wouldn't flush with gas or diesel, i'd get a case of motorcycle oil, and a couple filters, and change the oil a couple times. Run it a bit let it warm up, maybe ride it a SHORT distance, then change it. Repeat till oil is all a nice uniformed color? however, someone else may have a better idea? ive heard of sea-foam but i dunno about using it in this application, cuz it'd get to the clutches as well, and that could be disastrous!
__________________
-WagZ-
'93 DR350S

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014