Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #12556
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Well, got my graphics material i wanted...got back half of bike done, along with headlight shroud. Tank will be next, but taking a break. alot of small, fine details that had to be gone over! Ugh!

It dont look to bad...up close you can see how "strait, flat" graphics can be a pain to install onto "rounded" plastic. Its tough to make it fit on the contoured plastics!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #12557
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
[QUOTE=scharfg;19153591]Hey thanks for the intel. I'll have a look for it. What exactly is being pushed out (ie: what should I be looking for/meauring, see I'm a Newb)? Any idea what the max distance it can come out so I can measure mine and compare where its at (ie: how much wear do I have)?

Found some good intel about the Cam chain tensioner and how far it should be out here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941..._fromsearch__1
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #12558
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
[QUOTE=scharfg;19181641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Hey thanks for the intel. I'll have a look for it. What exactly is being pushed out (ie: what should I be looking for/meauring, see I'm a Newb)? Any idea what the max distance it can come out so I can measure mine and compare where its at (ie: how much wear do I have)?

Found some good intel about the Cam chain tensioner and how far it should be out here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941..._fromsearch__1
I pushed the foot in, then screwed the whole thing tight, opened it again and counted how many clicks it comes out. The tensioner has 25 clicks and I could pull mine 5 more out. Guess ill try that way too.
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #12559
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Don't forget that camchain stretch/wear is not only a problem when you run out of adjustment. Before that point, the valve timing will have drifted by enough to affect performance,
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #12560
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Don't forget that camchain stretch/wear is not only a problem when you run out of adjustment. Before that point, the valve timing will have drifted by enough to affect performance,
Does this cause idle problems?

I dunno if the cam chain has ever been replaced on ours, but even as good as it runs now, it still idles a bit rough. Especially when it's cold. Burbles a bit at idle with the occasional cough and stall.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #12561
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Does this cause bad starting? Valves seem to be in correct clearance, starts cold in a couple kicks but hot is sometimes impossible. Should I try with a bigger or smaller clearance? Now I have them in the middle of the suggested values.
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #12562
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
lighting problems after converting dirt model to dual sport

I already started a thread for this problem but I'm hoping some dr owners recognize this problem. I just picked up a 1990 dirt model and am trying to convert it to a true dual sport. So close but still so far! I'm all set up lighting wise but now I'm having an electrical problem. FYI, I traded the factory headlight for an Acerbis Cyclops (55w), added blinkers, K&S combo switch and a keyed ignition. No battery, its a kicker

So I wired everything tonight and surprisingly nailed it, having never done electrical on this level (I know, doesn't get much more simple) I was apprehensive. The bike is A/C with no battery so I used a couple of 6v batteries wired in series to test everything without having to start the bike every time I tested a new connection, even though the lights were clearly too much for the little Raovac (sp?) they were all on point!

After making sure everything was working perfect I plugged the stator back into the black and yellow wires. I kicked the bike and also surprisingly it started and all lights were bright!....for 5 seconds, at which point all lights switched themselves off but the motor kept running (the ignition coil has dedicated wires from the stator, yellow and black for the lights are separate).
I killed the engine with my fancy new keyed switch and then fired it back up. This time I kept the motor around 3-4k rpms and tried the lights, they stayed on closer to 15 seconds this time before turning themselves off.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I suppose I'm not getting enough power out of the stator that was originally designed for just headlight and brake lights. Still doesn't make sense that they run at full brightness and then suddenly shut off.. I was expecting dimming at low rpm's but this is a new one on me.

Thanks in advance fella's!

Oh, and here are before and after pics just for fun, still not all done though!

go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #12563
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Sure the float level is set correctly?
Hmm, no I'm not sure that the float level is set correctly. Perhaps the mamual explains this process. I'll check into it.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #12564
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,378
These bike's are a blast!!

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #12565
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
I already started a thread for this problem but I'm hoping some dr owners recognize this problem. I just picked up a 1990 dirt model and am trying to convert it to a true dual sport. So close but still so far! I'm all set up lighting wise but now I'm having an electrical problem. FYI, I traded the factory headlight for an Acerbis Cyclops (55w), added blinkers, K&S combo switch and a keyed ignition. No battery, its a kicker

So I wired everything tonight and surprisingly nailed it, having never done electrical on this level (I know, doesn't get much more simple) I was apprehensive. The bike is A/C with no battery so I used a couple of 6v batteries wired in series to test everything without having to start the bike every time I tested a new connection, even though the lights were clearly too much for the little Raovac (sp?) they were all on point!

After making sure everything was working perfect I plugged the stator back into the black and yellow wires. I kicked the bike and also surprisingly it started and all lights were bright!....for 5 seconds, at which point all lights switched themselves off but the motor kept running (the ignition coil has dedicated wires from the stator, yellow and black for the lights are separate).
I killed the engine with my fancy new keyed switch and then fired it back up. This time I kept the motor around 3-4k rpms and tried the lights, they stayed on closer to 15 seconds this time before turning themselves off.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I suppose I'm not getting enough power out of the stator that was originally designed for just headlight and brake lights. Still doesn't make sense that they run at full brightness and then suddenly shut off.. I was expecting dimming at low rpm's but this is a new one on me.

Thanks in advance fella's!

Oh, and here are before and after pics just for fun, still not all done though!
You are not running a battery, are you running a rectifier? If so you probably need at least a capacitor in the circuit. Do you have a link to the kit you installed?
dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #12566
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Correct, no battery. Just running the stock regulator. I didn't use a kit, just added blinkers, Vapor computer/speedo, and combo switch on the bars. The original wiring for headlight and tail light now run through the combo switch which also controls blinkers and horn. Again, everything works perfect when I connect a 12v battery in place of the stator to test, but when I plug the stator back in and fire it up something shuts down the circuit. Didn't see this one coming...

Here is the original wiring, pardon my very amateur diagram

go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #12567
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
Correct, no battery. Just running the stock regulator. I didn't use a kit, just added blinkers, Vapor computer/speedo, and combo switch on the bars. The original wiring for headlight and tail light now run through the combo switch which also controls blinkers and horn. Again, everything works perfect when I connect a 12v battery in place of the stator to test, but when I plug the stator back in and fire it up something shuts down the circuit. Didn't see this one coming...

Here is the original wiring, pardon my very amateur diagram

Your wiring pic doesn't show up on my screen ??? But using a DC battey isn't really going to tell you much, except the connections are good. AC & DC --- apples & oranges. Check your other thread for more ideas.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #12568
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Greg has interesting info on o-rings on his site and may know of/ sell a replacement. http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/o-rings.htm
Sorry, I don't have any o-ring info for the carbs.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #12569
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
[QUOTE=Teeeeeemu;19181728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post

I pushed the foot in, then screwed the whole thing tight, opened it again and counted how many clicks it comes out. The tensioner has 25 clicks and I could pull mine 5 more out. Guess ill try that way too.
Certainly you do not want to run out of adjustment on the auto tensioner - that leads to undesired results!

In my experience (only on my 1993 DR350), even when I replaced the chain and both gears, I still didn't have many clicks left (can't recall for sure how many just now). The guides still don't appear worn much at all. My conclusion is that while Suzuki provides 25 clicks, that even when new way fewer than 25 clicks are used. Anyone else care to confirm their experience?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #12570
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
[QUOTE=Greg Bender;19186602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post

Certainly you do not want to run out of adjustment on the auto tensioner - that leads to undesired results!

In my experience (only on my 1993 DR350), even when I replaced the chain and both gears, I still didn't have many clicks left (can't recall for sure how many just now). The guides still don't appear worn much at all. My conclusion is that while Suzuki provides 25 clicks, that even when new way fewer than 25 clicks are used. Anyone else care to confirm their experience?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I recently put a new cam chain in and also noticed this. My guides didn't look worn and with the new cam chain the adjustor was almost half way extended.
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote