User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #12586
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,403
Should I fix it? (can I fix it?)

Getting ready for the Westfest this weekend. My issue with the bike is an oil leak on the main case seal on the right side. Not the clutch, but the big one. I have the gaskets, but haven't ever taken one apart before. Is this a simple deal I can knock out in a couple of nights, or is there a risk of running into some other problem that will end up in the bike being on the stand over the weekend?

Should I try to fix it, or just carry some oil to keep it topped off? It seems to be leaking about 8oz every 100 miles.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #12587
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,676
I'd wait till after the event. Seems like job like that can end up being a bigger deal than you expect. If it has been leaking for some time already, getting her fixed prior to the weekend is not cirtical.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #12588
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Getting ready for the Westfest this weekend. My issue with the bike is an oil leak on the main case seal on the right side. Not the clutch, but the big one. I have the gaskets, but haven't ever taken one apart before. Is this a simple deal I can knock out in a couple of nights, or is there a risk of running into some other problem that will end up in the bike being on the stand over the weekend?

Should I try to fix it, or just carry some oil to keep it topped off? It seems to be leaking about 8oz every 100 miles.

If you've never had the cover off and are not familiar with the procedures involved, by all means bring extra oil as that will be the safest route for you. Fixing it is neither hard nor complicated. But if you are not familiar with doing the work, small unforeseen things can lead to big delays.

Personally, however, an 8 ounce leak every 100 miles is a lot and I would absolutely fix it before I left.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #12589
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,654
Not sure what westfest is but spilling all that oil all over the road ain't good for anybody
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #12590
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
If you've never had the cover off and are not familiar with the procedures involved, by all means bring extra oil as that will be the safest route for you. Fixing it is neither hard nor complicated. But if you are not familiar with doing the work, small unforeseen things can lead to big delays.

Personally, however, an 8 ounce leak every 100 miles is a lot and I would absolutely fix it before I left.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I guess I should have mentioned, I build car engines for a living, and I have a DR350 manual, so I probably have the tools and skills needed. Just haven't ever worked on a motorcycle aside from adjusting the valves and changing the oil, installing sprockets.

Are there any typical surprises in taking these things apart? Anything to watch out for?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #12591
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
I guess I should have mentioned, I build car engines for a living, and I have a DR350 manual, so I probably have the tools and skills needed. Just haven't ever worked on a motorcycle aside from adjusting the valves and changing the oil, installing sprockets.

Are there any typical surprises in taking these things apart? Anything to watch out for?

Nothing special. I'd just lay it over on the left side and pull the cover (wash thoroughly first). Keep careful track of where each cover bolt goes. I would replace all seals in the cover and the cover gasket while I had it apart. Be very careful when tightening the bolts not to strip the threads.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #12592
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:

Could you take a pic of the leak and post it Mate ?
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #12593
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:

Just did mine 2 days ago for the same reason. The gasket (apparently from the factory) was misaligned along the bottom, where it curves up past the oil filter.

I used a thin bit of silicone gasket sealant, even though many say you don't need it.

Not a big deal, especially considering your resume.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #12594
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Could you take a pic of the leak and post it Mate ?
Not really. The whole thing is just kind of seeping and there's oil all over everything. There are no cracks or anything like that visible. I think it's from overfilling the oil prior to leaning how the oil level needs to be checked on these things.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #12595
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Another cam chain related question

I pulled my tensioner out a few weeks ago and found that I had five clicks left. When I put everything back together I pushed the adjuster back in probably a half dozen clicks or so farther than it had been on the understanding that it would self-adjust back to the right setting. Started the bike up, everything sounded fine, shut it down.

Then I went traveling, and just this week got a chance to ride the DR again. It started fine, idled fine, accelerated fine, ran a steady speed fine, but several times when I backed off from a steady run it would stumble pretty badly for just a second. Since the last (and only) engine-related thing I've touched was that tensioner I automatically think about that. This could be a totally harebrained theory, but if the tensioner didn't tighten things up, could a loose camchain go slack enough when the engine load was reduced to throw the timing off and cause a stumble like that?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #12596
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
... Be very careful when tightening the bolts not to strip the threads.
Threads having been stripped by the ubiquitous ham-fisted PO is always a possibility - and could be the cause of the leak (it was a contributing factor for the cam cover leak on my bike). If you don't have a 6mm helicoil kit, you should at least know where to get hold of one.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #12597
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Threads having been stripped by the ubiquitous ham-fisted PO is always a possibility - and could be the cause of the leak (it was a contributing factor for the cam cover leak on my bike). If you don't have a 6mm helicoil kit, you should at least know where to get hold of one.
My local Ace Hardware has em, and most "good" auto parts suppliers should also.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #12598
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I pulled my tensioner out a few weeks ago and found that I had five clicks left. When I put everything back together I pushed the adjuster back in probably a half dozen clicks or so farther than it had been on the understanding that it would self-adjust back to the right setting. Started the bike up, everything sounded fine, shut it down.

Then I went traveling, and just this week got a chance to ride the DR again. It started fine, idled fine, accelerated fine, ran a steady speed fine, but several times when I backed off from a steady run it would stumble pretty badly for just a second. Since the last (and only) engine-related thing I've touched was that tensioner I automatically think about that. This could be a totally harebrained theory, but if the tensioner didn't tighten things up, could a loose camchain go slack enough when the engine load was reduced to throw the timing off and cause a stumble like that?
When I test-tightened my adjuster I heard the spring push the tensioner-stick out. Thats why its automatic, no need to pull it out every once in a while I have no clue about the rest though. Hope you get it fixed. Did you change the chain btw?
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #12599
james1300
Track Dazed

Oddometer: 162
Talking 'Y' fitting, HELP Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
Randy,
looks good.......really good

as to your fuel line routing, here's a good suggestion:
get rid of that cheap plastic Y-Connector immediately & buy a good brass T-Connector

that way your line from the right side will feed in several inches further back & look a lot cleaner....PLUS, it will lay lower on top of your carb

then, if you still need help keeping it down, simply put a zip-tie on it & attach to the carb loosely, that'll keep it it place

with this setup on by ACERBIS on my DRZ400, I also decided to run 2 fuel filters, 1 for each line.....hey, every little bit helps

I placed them just after the line comes out of the fuel tap...clean, efficient, reliable......but I do like your 1 Filter setup too

happyriding !!

tommyg
Where can I get a Good Brass 'Y' fitting? I'm installing the Same tank on my DR350SE
I've tried NAPA auto parts, Auto Zone and, ORilleys auto parts. Even went to a tropical fish supply store.
james1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #12600
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I think I got my brass T fitting at an auto parts store. Maybe Lowes or Tractor supply.
Chiknmunky is online now   Reply With Quote