Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #12646
Jbeasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
Dang thats shiny for a DR, it really hasn't seen miles i guess! Does the 19" front really make it that much more stable at highway speeds? Mine gets pretty nervous at 65-70 but I wasn't sure how much of that was suspension set up or other issues...

It really does feel more planted on the highway. Not squirrelly at all that I have noticed so far. And it's a hoot blasting around the neighborhood twisties! The brakes feel a little stronger too. The guy who did my work said my braking would improve somewhat, tried to explain it to me - but my little walnut brain could not process it. Something about levering effect and smaller wheel = bigger brake

PWRCRZR, yes that is a Warrior. A big stupid cruiser, but with better handling/brakes/power to weight than most other big stupid cruisers!

JB
80 XS650
Jbeasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #12647
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
How much did you spend lacing the 19" hoop to the front hub total? I told myself I wasn't going to dump any more money into the pit but this bike really needs some better road manners
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #12648
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Rear Rack

Made a rack for the DR today. First got some plastic from Lowes and made a mock up .

Then got some 1/4" x 1 1/2 " aluminium. Cut, fit and weld. Wa La --- Rack.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 09:43 PM
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #12649
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
no kickstart, but bumps fine ?

help-a-brotha-out ! I SEARCHED, BUT I SUCK AT IT. sorry if this is a well known issue !

so my buddy's dr350 starts fine (kick) cold, runs great (warm or cold) and acclerates nicely. idles well. no backfiring, or none noticable. no weird smells, besides him.

anyyyyyyway-

it simply will not start HOT with the kick starter. we push started it a few times, and it seems to start very easily when push starting. we were very surprised, but the gas station attendant was unimpressed and continued her iphoning. (she wasn't hot, no pics)

so, with this very brief, very uninformative description of the symptoms - can you tell me why ?

the stupid interruption switches have been removed, to the best of our knowledge.

cluestick us !
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #12650
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
help-a-brotha-out ! I SEARCHED, BUT I SUCK AT IT. sorry if this is a well known issue !

so my buddy's dr350 starts fine (kick) cold, runs great (warm or cold) and acclerates nicely. idles well. no backfiring, or none noticable. no weird smells, besides him.

anyyyyyyway-

it simply will not start HOT with the kick starter. we push started it a few times, and it seems to start very easily when push starting. we were very surprised, but the gas station attendant was unimpressed and continued her iphoning. (she wasn't hot, no pics)

so, with this very brief, very uninformative description of the symptoms - can you tell me why ?

the stupid interruption switches have been removed, to the best of our knowledge.

cluestick us !
valves been adjusted lately? Ive had quite a few atv's that were this way. buy em cuz they wouldnt run, adjust the valves and tadah, they would run. lol but lemme say that they were used...ok, WELL USED!! lol no worries, they were cheap though.haha

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #12651
Adventurer

Took the scenic route home from work today via the Santa Fe National Forest, happy Friday fella's!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #12652
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
valves been adjusted lately? Ive had quite a few atv's that were this way. buy em cuz they wouldnt run, adjust the valves and tadah, they would run. lol but lemme say that they were used...ok, WELL USED!! lol no worries, they were cheap though.haha
valves were fine.
apparently the cdi is toast as of this morning... what causes a non reading from cdi, or what causes a failure, and does anyone have one laying around they will part with reasonably?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #12653
Adventurer

Quote:

Took the scenic route home from work today via the Santa Fe National Forest, happy Friday fella's!
Sorry guys, guess the image got lost trying to post from my phone

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #12654
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,697
Question on DRZ forks

So what do you need to do the above DRZ fork swap? Looks like triPle tree forks and wheel from DRZ?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #12655
Jbeasty
Adventurer

Found the rim and spokes on ebay. Got lucky on the rim, paid only $19 (no other bidders). But you can find one for ~ $50, spokes will be about $50 too. Then there's shipping . . . These are nothing special, chinese rims (like whats on our bikes now). The main obstacle was finding someone to lace it up. A guy here in the SF/Bay area advised me all along the way, and laced it up for $75. He did have to grind and re-angle the spoke holes in the hub slightly. He had a D.I.D. 17" rim on hand that he sold me for $125, and spokes were again $50. On this the rim needed some tooling. The whole project cost me ~$450, not including tires. Kinda expensive, but nowhere near what you pay for the fancy super-moto wheel sets, which can be $1200 or more. Plus I got what I wanted, which was the 17"/19" combo.

Quote:
How much did you spend lacing the 19" hoop to the front hub total? I told myself I wasn't going to dump any more money into the pit but this bike really needs some better road manners
80 XS650
Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #12656
Jbeasty
Adventurer

I should also mention that the front rim is a 1.85 width (stock is 1.60), and the rear is a 2.50 (stock is 2.15). This way I was able to go a bit wider on the tires: a 100/90-19 to the front, and a 130/80-17 to the rear.
80 XS650
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #12657
Adventurer

Right on, I've built quality wheelsets for my mountain bike so I'm thinking I can get away with lacing the hoops myself. Then again everything has been much more difficult than anticipated so far, I can drink much more while working on my racing mountainbike than this pig!
Pardon the moto ignorance but would I need to drop to a smaller rear wheel as well to maintain propped handling?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #12658
Jbeasty
Adventurer

The net difference in wheel height is only 1/2" (axle to tire edge) going from 18" to 17", so I don't think it's a huge deal either way - but I'm no expert on the subject. Might make the steering a bit tighter (staying with the 18"), which is better for the street anyway. I rode it both ways and the difference is minimal. Do what you want - that's what I did
80 XS650
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #12659
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,227
Blinkers?

OK, so my manual is packed for Em's bike and her blinkers just quit.

There is power to the switch, but left turn does nothing, right turn dimly lights the signal indicator on the panel.

Any quick checks or advice?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #12660
ilprincipe
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hello everybody,

I've been following this thread for a while and recently registered. I am relatively new to bikes, and this is my first post here. I bought a DR350 S yesterday with only 1500 km on the clock. It seems to be in good shape, 2 previous owners, the first apparently rode it mostly in the dirt for about 400km and then forgot it in the garage, the second bought it a year ago and added another thousand kilometers of street use. It was first registered in 1997, but is still the kickstart only version.

Apart from a few scratches the bike seems to be in good condition, starts on the first kick, although somebody must have messed with the electricity/wiring at some point. The PO also gave me the turn signals which were not attached (oddly enough they are not required for street use in Switzerland). However, he only gave me the lights, no mounting brackets, nuts or anything else.

I guess the back signals attach directly to the back frame, but I cannot figure out where the front signals are supposed to be mounted. I've looked at pictures of other bikes, and there is no place they can attach where they are supposed to be to on mine.

Am I missing some parts? Or can anybody point out to me how they are supposed to be mounted?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a picture I took of the bike when I first saw it:

ilprincipe screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 12:13 PM Reason: typo
ilprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote