Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #12661
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken View Post
OK, so my manual is packed for Em's bike and her blinkers just quit.

There is power to the switch, but left turn does nothing, right turn dimly lights the signal indicator on the panel.

Any quick checks or advice?

Thanks!
Power comes from the battery, through the main fuse, through the ignition switch, to the flasher relay. Through the flasher relay to the turn signal switch. From the turn signal switch to ground through all three bulb elements. Right front, right rear and indicator bulb elements. Or left front, left rear and indicator bulb elements. Depending on which way you have positioned the switch. The flasher is matched to the electrical resistance of these three bulb elements. If one or more of the bulbs is burned out or not making good ground, the flasher relay won't function. If you replace a burned out bulb with a bulb of a different wattage ( resistance ), the flasher relay may flash faster or slower or not at all. It must have all three bulbs with the matched resistance working. (There are flasher relays avaliable now that are not dependent on bulb type.) Most turn signal problems are caused by bad bulbs or corroded bulb sockets. Sometimes a flasher relay will go bad but not as often. Bad connections are also common. Here are some simple wire diagrams that might help. http://www.ripper1.com/tech/wiring.php
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #12662
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,214
Thanks 2Bold.................!

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #12663
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilprincipe View Post
Hello everybody,

I've been following this thread for a while and recently registered. I am relatively new to bikes, and this is my first post here. I bought a DR350 S yesterday with only 1500 km on the clock. It seems to be in good shape, 2 previous owners, the first apparently rode it mostly in the dirt for about 400km and then forgot it in the garage, the second bought it a year ago and added another thousand kilometers of street use. It was first registered in 1997, but is still the kickstart only version.

Apart from a few scratches the bike seems to be in good condition, starts on the first kick, although somebody must have messed with the electricity/wiring at some point. The PO also gave me the turn signals which were not attached (oddly enough they are not required for street use in Switzerland). However, he only gave me the lights, no mounting brackets, nuts or anything else.

I guess the back signals attach directly to the back fender, but I cannot figure out where the front signals are supposed to be mounted. I've looked at pictures of other bikes, and there is no place they can attach where they are supposed to be to on mine.

Am I missing some parts? Or can anybody point out to me how they are supposed to be mounted?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a picture I took of the bike when I first saw it:
Welcome ilprincipe to the wonderful world of motorcycles. Here is a pic of the turn signals I removed from my "98se. Front on the left, rear on the right.

And here is where they go.

I have removed my turn signals, so I can install smaller ones. I made a rack for the rear. The rack is now attached to the place where the turn signals go. The wires from the rear attach to plugs under the left side cover. Just match colors. Black with white tracer is ground ( earth ). Blue is left, green is right. The front wires go in front of the headlight. This is really cool. Where a guy in Texas, sitting in his living room watching the Olympics can help out a guy in Switzerland. BTW, climbed the west face of the Eiger in 1988. Great fun!!! Beautiful country.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 12:02 PM
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #12664
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,453
Another great day of riding.hit all the local trails and goat paths...got to say I love this bike

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #12665
ilprincipe
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks very much 2bold for the info and pictures! It's just as I thought, I am missing the mounting bracket for the front lights.

Also I agree, I am often amazed how much helpful and friendly exchange between people from distant parts of the world has been made possible by the internet. I have recently moved to Switzerland from Germany and hope to explore a bit more of the country on 2 wheels.
ilprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #12666
ilprincipe
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Model year

Another question that has been bothering me is the model year. The bike was first registered in October 1997, but it is not the electric start version. Is it possible to identify the model year approximately by the colour of the seat and decals?
ilprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #12667
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,990
Looks like my 94 to me, check the VIN# on the frame by the steering head or the information plate, should be mounted in the same area as the VIN.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #12668
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,453
I was thinking it looked like my 94 as well...mines an SE though
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #12669
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilprincipe View Post
Another question that has been bothering me is the model year . . .
The 10th digit in the VIN will be a letter indicating the model year:
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #12670
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
according to manuals on Mr Benders Website, those are either 94 or 95 graphics on the bike...so....could be early 94? They were designed after mine. (93) so i'd say the boys above my post are pretty much spot on when they say 94.

Do you need mounting brackets for your front Turn signals? i can see if i got a spare set of brackets. Let me know, you pay shipping, and their yours if i can locate them.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #12671
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser145 View Post
Well my DR sold quickly...
Sweet Husky, how much did the 350 go for jw?
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #12672
james1300
Track Dazed

Oddometer: 162
Question Front Brake Groan DR350SE

1995 DR350SE. 'New EBC HH pads' on the 'Front'. Rear works fine.
I cleaned and lightly sanded the rotor. I gotta say the rotors on these bikes are to quote another rider, "Diet Bread Thin".
The first time I really 'laid into the front brake' it MOANED and GROANED like an old bus.
I can modulate the lever up to where it starts making noise. But the braking takes longer.
I come from street bikes with Dual 320mm front disc's and calipers.
So, I redressed the rotor. Sanded it. Cleaned it with brake cleaner. I redressed the EBC pads. Using 'dry wall' cloth (sandpaper) I worked the pads in a 'figure '8' pattern untill ALL the glaze is off. Then I cleaned the caliper. Using 'Simple Green', I scrubbed all around the pistons and where the pads sit in the caliper.
I then dressed and cleaned the 'pin's' that hold the pads into the caliper. I relubed these pins with syn. brake caliper grease. Prior to mounting the 'floating pad' I even applied syn. brake caliper grease to where it moves on its locating pin on the caliper. Brake system has been bled.
Short of changing pads, is there anything I have missed? Any suggestions you can think of?
Do I need to change pads again?
james1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #12673
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,463
Kickstand switch bypass?

Now that I figured out my kickstand switch is fully functional, and causing headaches in my starting procedure, I'm thinking it's time to bypass it. Is the switch closed when the kickstand is up....so I can just clip the wires and tie them together, or do the wires need to be clipped removed completely?
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #12674
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Now that I figured out my kickstand switch is fully functional, and causing headaches in my starting procedure, I'm thinking it's time to bypass it. Is the switch closed when the kickstand is up....so I can just clip the wires and tie them together, or do the wires need to be clipped removed completely?
Yes, you can do the cut, strip, twist, and wrap thing. Or remove the switch and trace the wires back to its plug and short the wires there.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #12675
Hudson7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Yes, you can do the cut, strip, twist, and wrap thing. Or remove the switch and trace the wires back to its plug and short the wires there.
That's what I did, no more issues there.