Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #12706
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Just rode into work this working with my new 13 tooth front sprocket. WOW. I had it paired with a 43 rear. The acceleration is impressive. I had it set up 15/43 prior and the increased torque is noticeable. Still can't wheelie it with the throttle, but can almost loft it off the ground, throttle alone. I have a 41 and a 43 rear, as well as a 14 and a 15 front. I interchange all four gear ratios regualrly with the same chain. Now I have the option of adding 13 in the mix. From 15/41 to 13/43 would be a night and day difference.

If you ride dirt or local streets only, and are looking for a bump in the GO department. Consider final drive gearing changes before you do any muffler/carb/airbox mods.
How does your final drive stack up? RPM at 60 or 65 mph for instance? I think the 94 gearbox is the same as my 1990. With 14/43's (3.07:1) I pull 65mph at 6000 rpm. 1st gear is a little tall for the steepest off-road trails, but I'm willing to live with it to keep up with traffic on pavement. The bike had 13/45's (3.46:1) on it when I bought it, so I might try 13/43 (3.30:1) or 14/45 (3.21:1) to see how it works out. 13/45 was crazy torquey in first, but only pulled 58mph at 6000.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 10:48 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #12707
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,839
As of my RM fork swap, I no longer have a speedo or tach. So I really don't know. I did jump on the freeway yesterday (with this gearing) for one exit. It was wound out pretty good.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #12708
james1300
Track Dazed

Oddometer: 162
Question RM front end?

Quote:
As of my RM fork swap, I no longer have a speedo or tach. So I really don't know. I did jump on the freeway yesterday (with this gearing) for one exit. It was wound out pretty good.
For $20.00 you can have a speedo/ODO. Use a Bicycle unit! I have had mixed results using 'wireless'. But great results using a standard wire style. Tell me more about your RM front end swap. I'd LOVE to have more front brake and adjustable suspension!
james1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #12709
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Laser145;19221581]

QUOTE]

I swaped a 98 RM250/125 fork, which is a showa dual chamber conventional 49mm fork. Used the RM triple with the DR steer stem pressed in. Looks just like this one pictured. I used the RM front caliper and the DR350 brake master cylinder. I did not gain any brake performance. Maybe even lost some due to the fact that I have nicer pads and cleaner rotor. I was thinking about it this morning and it might not have been worht the cost and effort. I gain some higher speed bump handling. Woops and bigger mx type jumps are nicers, as are higher speed rocky sections. But hardly a noticalbe gain in the slow rocky technical stuff, the stiffness and less deflection part maybe. Handling suffered a little as well due to the increase headtube angle cuase by the longer forks. Am I selling the RM swap yet. Oh the seals are blown and the fork oil is proabalby jsut mud.

I currently do have a GPS that I use for a speedo, but don't usuualy turn it on. Plans for this winter is to get a vapor and build a dash. My ignition is taped to the handlebar right now. I totally blew through my budget and more, and was not able to dial things out. The bike is rather ghetto in its current confirguration.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #12710
james1300
Track Dazed

Well, You talked me outta the swap. I was wanting bigger brakes for the street.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #12711
james1300
Track Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
1995 DR350SE. 'New EBC HH pads' on the 'Front'. Rear works fine.
I cleaned and lightly sanded the rotor. I gotta say the rotors on these bikes are to quote another rider, "Diet Bread Thin".
The first time I really 'laid into the front brake' it MOANED and GROANED like an old bus.
I can modulate the lever up to where it starts making noise. But the braking takes longer.
I come from street bikes with Dual 320mm front disc's and calipers.
So, I redressed the rotor. Sanded it. Cleaned it with brake cleaner. I redressed the EBC pads. Using 'dry wall' cloth (sandpaper) I worked the pads in a 'figure '8' pattern untill ALL the glaze is off. Then I cleaned the caliper. Using 'Simple Green', I scrubbed all around the pistons and where the pads sit in the caliper.
I then dressed and cleaned the 'pin's' that hold the pads into the caliper. I relubed these pins with syn. brake caliper grease. Prior to mounting the 'floating pad' I even applied syn. brake caliper grease to where it moves on its locating pin on the caliper. Brake system has been bled.
Short of changing pads, is there anything I have missed? Any suggestions you can think of?
Do I need to change pads again?
Found the problem...
Earlier this spring. I had dressed the old pads and re-installed them. Bleeding the system and flushing.
They finally wore out. Used up.

I installed the NEW pads. But did not remember to check the (the now over-filled) master cylinder. Due to the' new thicker' than the old thinner used pads. Too much brake fluid was not allowing the New pads to retract. The pads were heating up and glazing.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #12712
james1300
Track Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Regarding front brake noise. I see a lot of posts about/from people wanting more front braking. I don't get it. If it will lock up the tire in the dirt, what else do you want. Even back in the old days with drum brakes and cardboard linings, the fronts were ok, the rear needed some help sometimes. I know I'm chicken but I never liked speed. I get these mental images of what happens if one of a thousand things goes bad at anything over about 40mph. I know these things are street legal, but using it for a street bike is pushing it. There's lots of good street bikes out there. Looked up thoes EBC HH pads. They say they are the stickiest sintered copper pads you can get. That might be a problem on these bikes, but I doubt it. You might try using one of thoes 2" surface prep pads on the rotor ( the brown fiber ones with the grit bonded in ) and get a good swirl pattern,( Harbor Freight has em ) and use some of that blue anti squeek glue (auto parts store ) on the back of the pads. I've even used silicone seal on problem pads. Put a coat on the backs and stick em on there. Most of the noise comes from pad vibration.
Found the problem...
Earlier this spring. I had dressed the old pads and re-installed them. Bleeding the system and flushing.
They finally wore out. Used up.

I installed the NEW pads. But did not remember to check the (the now over-filled) master cylinder. Due to the' new thicker' than the old thinner used pads. Too much brake fluid was not allowing the New pads to retract. The pads were heating up and glazing.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #12713
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
For $20.00 you can have a speedo/ODO. Use a Bicycle unit! I have had mixed results using 'wireless'. But great results using a standard wire style. Tell me more about your RM front end swap. I'd LOVE to have more front brake and adjustable suspension!
Likewise, I've had great luck with Sigma bicycle speedometers on my street machines. On my DR350, I could not prevent the signal cable from breaking (and I tried all sorts of methods of preventing it from rubbing or kinking - but they always broke). I fit a Baja Designs Speedometer instead and it has held up very well.

What brand have you used and/or what have you done to prevent cable breakage with all of the massive flexing that must take place when ridding a lot of dirt?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #12714
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Likewise, I've had great luck with Sigma bicycle speedometers on my street machines. On my DR350, I could not prevent the signal cable from breaking (and I tried all sorts of methods of preventing it from rubbing or kinking - but they always broke). I fit a Baja Designs Speedometer instead and it has held up very well.

What brand have you used and/or what have you done to prevent cable breakage with all of the massive flexing that must take place when ridding a lot of dirt?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I've got a wireless GPS speedometer bike computer that I use for a variety of activities. Works great!

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #12715
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, You talked me outta the swap. I was wanting bigger brakes for the street.
You know yesterday I was riding home and thinking about my comments on the RM swap not being worth. I was getting some pretty good air on the water bars and blasting up with rocky hill climb with ease and control. I would have never been able to land those jumps so cleanly and pick and stay on my line with stock "S" suspension.

Maybe it was worth it after all.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #12716
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
You know yesterday I was riding home and thinking about my comments on the RM swap not being worth. I was getting some pretty good air on the water bars and blasting up with rocky hill climb with ease and control. I would have never been able to land those jumps so cleanly and pick and stay on my line with stock "S" suspension.

Maybe it was worth it after all.
You are killing me! Make up MY mind already. Yesterday I told my self "see just save your money it's not worth it I'm no pro!"

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #12717
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
You are killing me! Make up MY mind already. Yesterday I told my self "see just save your money it's not worth it I'm no pro!"
A year and a half ago I got to the point with my stock suspension that I was going to hurt myself if I kept it that way (my dirt skills were improving!). I started with RaceTech emulators and correct rate springs up front (HUGE improvement). That showed me how bad my rear dirt shock was. I rebuilt it with fresh oil and a nitrogen recharge (BIG improvement) and that bought me another year. This spring I bought a new rear spring (SOME improvement). What I really want now is a fork brace (anyone have one?).

I'm thrilled with all of my suspension upgrades and it has all been money well spent. As my dirt skills get better and I push things harder, the suspension deficiencies start showing themselves.

My riding buddies believe my dirt skills would advance more rapidly if I were to purchase a much more modern machine (think KTM, etc). They are probably right. But there are a bunch of things I really like about the DR: very easy reach to the ground with my 6' 2" frame, exceedingly simple and extremely durable engine, parts are plentiful and inexpensive, power is ample to get me everywhere I want to go...and limited to keep me from doing stupid things, power delivery is very predicable and "sedate" (I don't want the instant power that comes with a touchy throttle).

In short, if I somehow destroy my DR350, I'll just buy another and put my suspension upgrades on it :> :> :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #12718
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
I would have never been able to land those jumps so cleanly and pick and stay on my line with stock "S" suspension.
If anyone is still rolling on stock S suspension and wants an easy upgrade, pick up some dirt model forks from 94+. It's an easy swap and a big difference getting rid of the damper rod forks and moving up to cartridge forks.

I'm pretty sure I even know someone who has a set.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #12719
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
If anyone is still rolling on stock S suspension and wants an easy upgrade, pick up some dirt model forks from 94+. It's an easy swap and a big difference getting rid of the damper rod forks and moving up to cartridge forks.

Do the 1998 and 1999 have the cartridge forks stock?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #12720
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post

The upgraded suspension for the dirt did not come out till 97, and 98 for the S. And where were you when I was looking everyday for 6 months for these forks!!!

I would agree that this is the best way to upgrade the front, they are just super rare.